Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

I would hope, but I wouldn't guarantee as that could be used as a perk of ownership. Yes, it is a 100 yr lease....anyhow, can certainly start new thread on this topic, but was just curious if anyone has actually talked to the band about the future of the launch. Back to reports :)

Fished out of Beecher today. Two nice little coho. One wild, one hatch (58 $ 68 cm). Down between 50 and 70 feet in 350 ft of water. One on a blue and green hoochie and one on a green and white coho killer. Both caught between 9 & 10:30 am. A little rocky out there, but we did get to see two humpback whales. Not a bad 3 hours on the water.

Lots of action on green plastic but died off around noonish. Wild and hatch.

Just woundering if there are any cohos off
Otter point or Gordon's beach. Going to
Take the yak out tomorrow for some coho action. Or maybe sooke bay will
Better??? Any info
Will be great. Thanks!!!!

Out in front of Secretary and the trap. We were in about 450 ft and down about 45 to 60 ft. Most of the hits were on blue and green hoochies, and blue and green flashers. We landed about a dozen wild coho. 3 of them were around 15 lbs. We only saw 1 hatchery and we released it (kind of small). We also had a humpback sound breech about 60 feet behind us, right at the start of the day too. What a great day. What a great way o spend our 20th anniversary.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Good day today out in 500' water from Becher Bay from 10:30 - 1:00, landing 15, 10, 8 & 7 and letting go about 6 more wilds. Betsy head and flasher at 80' was hot. Looks like they're still around.

We went out in the rain and mist and fished 8:45am until 1:00pm today. Very glad we did!

First hit came within 90 seconds of the lure being lowered to 75 feet and what is more it was a hatch! First hatch to my boat since July!! It was crazy like that for the next hour and half. Could hardly get the lures down and they would hit hard. We had three hatch and a wild in the boat in an hour, having lost several, missed a few hits and let three or four smaller wild go. Slowed down a bit after that but we could generate hits by running at 3.5Knots and then slowing down. Fish often seemed to hit “on the drop” as the ball was sinking back from a shallow angle. Kept one more decent wild of about 9lb and then released several more wilds before finally finding another hatch.

All fish on green glow or blue/white hootchies, with 30” leaders between 68 and 78 feet in 450-500feet of water straight out in front of harbour. Good day!

Nice work English!

Sounds like you are figuring out the tricks of the trade and paying off.

Love your reports. Good or bad they are always a good read. I see your name and I just have to check out the post.
You're like a character in a book to me. LOL!
And we've met ... confirming you are a character. (in a good way)

Tips

Nice work English!

Sounds like you are figuring out the tricks of the trade and paying off.

Love your reports. Good or bad they are always a good read. I see your name and I just have to check out the post.
You're like a character in a book to me. LOL!
And we've met ... confirming you are a character. (in a good way)

Tips
good roland...

Thx a lot guys.

Tips I am not sure I am worthy of such an accolade and I have gone bit embarrassed here. Anyway, glad my reports entertain somewhat, even my poor ones of which there have been many, although hopefully getting fewer since I have had such great advice and guidance from the good folks on this forum.

A great fish story. I woke up this morning and wasn't sure what to do and the wife told me to go fishing and get some fish for the thanksgiving dinner this weekend. Can't go wrong with that. I promptly jumped in the boat on my own and in 50 minutes of fishing picked up one hatch and one wild. Released two others. All straight out front of the harbor in 500 ft, 80 to 90 feet on the rigger. It was a short trip had the lines in the water at 10:00 and was heading back in by 10:50. Still lots out there.

Out today from 10:30 to 1:30 straight out from Beecher bay, seemed slower today but still picked up 4 coho to 10lbs. lost a few and released a few smaller wilds. Betsy teaser and flasher at 80 feet did most of the damage, couple on white hootchy, spoons did nada. trolled fast. I find the JDF teaser heads can be trolled faster than anchovy specials and still get good roll. Got several hits when pulling up the gear to check lures so check the gear often or play with the riggers up and down to get more action from your lures.

A much better day over last weekend for us - out from 11-2, got our two wild and 2 hatch, released another beauty wild (sigh). We were straight out of Beecher in 550 feet, fishing 60-80 feet on the rigger but shallower given the speeds and angles on the riggers. Both a chrome and green spoon and a green hochie did the trick. Beauty day out there too, sure flattened out mid-afternoon. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Out in father in laws boat. 8:30-10. Got 3 wild all 7 lbs, 1 hatchery, 5 lbs. Lost one nice one, released one small wild. Depths 30 for one and 45-60 for the others. All hootchies, white for three, blue/green for two, yellow/white for the one. Saw a mother and baby humpback hanging out in the harbour mouth. Happy is see that all the coho didn't swim up river yet!

Coho for Thanksgiving dinner tommorow night, very grateful to be able to be on the ocean as often as we do, in such a beautiful place! Xena

Humpbacks, Orcas, Big Coho, and a warm Fall Day - pinch me and give thanks for what we are given!!!

Great fishing early until about 11am this morning. Lots of wild fish but nothing big. All 7-10lb
Kept 4 wild and 1 hatch. Released and lost a ton.

Including one fish still connected to the rod!
So if any one catches a coho out there trailing a rod and islander MR2, my father in law would love to get his reel back.

Tips

Too true, yup today had it all, including way more fish than last weekend. Had my wife and father-in law from back east on the boat - what a great day. Lots of action, 42 and 86 feet produced the most for us in the deep water off Secretary. Started with a turd hootchie and bait on the other side around 9am and we were busy enough for the first two hours that we didn't change anything up. It was sometimes hard to keep more than one rod in the water. Released lots of 8ish wilds and found two smaller hatch. We held out for that elusive (and never to be) derby winner but things slowed down considerably around noon. We saw the humpback just before 2pm and played a wild in to the boat at the same time to fill our quota of wilds. Couldn't have been a much better way to end the day.

another great day out there tons of action.

I though it was bad losing a large beauty coho and my lure today mr2 sounds worse..

Back