Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Ya, I was out too. Bad my boy fighting coho all morning. I sure wish it was first 2 and you are done. This sifting through wilds for marked fish is crazy. I had one lose an eye, it's sad to throw some of these fish back. Just my opinion, and rant.

Fished Otter from 7:30-11:30 today. Lots of coho, but of the 12 we got to the boat not one was a hatchery. Frustrating to come back to the dock to find others cleaning a whack of wilds. Know the regs!!!!

Beautiful day on the water.

We got out around 8:00 this am for a few hours off the harbour. Picked up a 10lb clipped feeder Spring at 8:30. Good fighter. jumped right out of the water just back of the boat but got it in. Then lots of catch and release Coho of which we kept 3 clipped; all on glow hootchies. The Coho are getting bigger and some pop the pin and are really good fighters. Not like the Coho we were catching last summer which did not seem to have a lot of fight in them. From the chatter on the radio some nice Chinook were caught in the 20-25lb range.

Heard you calling Englishman on the Radio Xena. Met you at the hatchery clipping Coho.

Fished otter point 5-9 for a quick fish before work had one 10 pound clipped white spring. But diddnt see any coho or pinks did anyone else catch any there.

We got out around 8:00 this am for a few hours off the harbour. Picked up a 10lb clipped feeder Spring at 8:30. Good fighter. jumped right out of the water just back of the boat but got it in. Then lots of catch and release Coho of which we kept 3 clipped; all on glow hootchies. The Coho are getting bigger and some pop the pin and are really good fighters. Not like the Coho we were catching last summer which did not seem to have a lot of fight in them. From the chatter on the radio some nice Chinook were caught in the 20-25lb range.

Heard you calling Englishman on the Radio Xena. Met you at the hatchery clipping Coho.

Ya, we noticed that too Rockfish. A few came in like wet blankets just like last year - almost as if they were dazed. But most were totally crazy and feisty like coho are supposed to be. Several of the fish we lost shook loose right at the boat as we tried to discern "hatch or wild?". That would not have happened last year.

Did not hear Xena on the radio - switched off as usually do not have the radio on - too distracting trying to hear what is goin' down!! LOL

HES saying they were good fighters!!!
These fish are awesome right now LOTS out there and good numbers, only negative I can say is cant keep my gear down long enough to get springs sometimes, WHAT a BUMMER hey!!!!.get out and fish and enjoy this has been the best ive seen off sooke in many many years time to get out and enjoy it!!!!

Good luck Wolf

I thought I saw you, Englishman, so I sent out the call. Had I known you were out there, Rockfish I would have said hello to you too!

Wolf is right! Fishing is exciting right now, we loved yesterday. Enjoy the fishing folks! Xena

Coho were on fire yesterday for sure, and we did get limits of marked fish, but not without having to release many. If this level of activity continues, I would suggest using single hooks if possible, just way easier to release without too much harm to the fish.
Stosh

Out this morning, couple of teen springs, released lots of coho, went from otter to sheringham, beautiful morning on the water with lots of action!

Took a buddy put who has never done the fly rod thing! Lets just say he enjoyed it!

Got out 12 fish limit with 6 Coho and 6 Pinks. Never tried for springs as we were having to much fun! Had 2 tripple headers the fly rod would almost always get hit when somone else had a fish near the boat. Brings more of them to the prop wash!

Buddy did loose what we think may have been a feeder at 120ft down off Secretary on a green UV spoon and Green Onion Flasher!

Went out yesterday with my cousin from Calgary released quite a few undersized spring and wild coho, kept 4 hatch coho and 2 nice springs both wild. Fishing from chenu marina to secretary island. 65-110ft. Tons of fish out there was an amazing day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 577
even I got out in the tinny today...7:30 to 12 - mostly trap until a yutz squeezed me onto the reef while his whole starboard side was wide open to give me space but didn't...and he yells at ME for getting too close?? Idiots and I said a few choice words...took off to deeper water after that, decent action around the tide change between there and head...ended up catching about 8...mostly small coho thou, son lost a couple nice ones, 2 pinks in, 1 biggee pushing 8lbs, and also a 75cm ling, 120' in some 300' of water! Odd, but will taste the same regardless! Nice day, just a few too many boats out though.

AWESOME day again today myself and a buddy went in the rangers derby (had a day off) so off we went to otter was there early first pass right on the tip BAM we get one on in the box teener. we limited out on springs all the way up to almost sheringham seems bites were everywhere.

So now my Rant So we are on the tip first thing we have a fish on AND i have to say it again WHY do you need to go right thru people !!!! GO ON THE OUTSIDE FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!! im in 60 ft of water and this asshat goes between us and otter RIGHT under my fish WHY?????? i dont get it he lucky the fish was deep or he would hav had a sh*tload of line wrapped on his prop??????? go around people its respectful and courteous its really not hard to do !!!!!!!!!! I yelled loud enough who ever it was heard me he was that close!!!!!! AND YES THERE are some on here reading this that continue to do it???? WHY ??????

ill even make it better if your trying to save on GAS cmon down to my boat and ill give you 10 bucks to pay for you to go on the outside of people that are trying to fish there is no need to "WAKE" people out there please GROW the F UP!!!!!!

AND yes fishing is excellent best ive seen in probably 15 years get out there!!!!! and enjoy...

Good luck Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished with wife and daughter and there 2 best friends today started at the trap and had a double header right away and trolled around there for awhile and played tons of fish there then trolled all the way to Otter the fishing was much better from the Bluffs to the Trap. I would say 30 fish to the boat. The girls had a great time so that what counts.
When we came back to the Marina it was packed heard someone say that there was 2 derbies on and they were also checking boats at the dock too. About 8 guys checking boats, but some how managed to not get checked. Not there I was worried but it was really slowing down the dock and I was in a hurry anyways. Had to get my daughter and friend home for work. Anyone know who they were. Didn't seem to be creel guys or fisheries, thought it looked like Power Squadron but they were checking fish and safety stuff.

It was only 6 bucks last year you were offering Wolf.. I would say you owe me $50.00 from last year and and i have already gone around 4 times so thats another $40. You can do the math. Or is $10 for the season ?? Ya ya people don't get and they never will, they own the water. What was the winning fish in the Rangers ?

It was only 6 bucks last year you were offering Wolf.. I would say you owe me $50.00 from last year and and i have already gone around 4 times so thats another $40. You can do the math. Or is $10 for the season ??

Damn.... Thats a lot of quarters Wolfie
emo-coffee.gif

Back