Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

My first fishing year was in the alberni inlet a few years ago and was steering my friends brand new grady around so you can imagine how nervous I was. Still nothing compared to asshats that fish sooke. You think people arnt even steering the boat the way boats cut people off around there.

Nice report and fish there silver spring. must have been that duck fat eh!? :p

No springs for us but limits of coho in just over a hour.

Awesome fishing out there now, lots of hatchery coho's and a few pinks starting to show up. Chinook fishing has been consistent in the usual spots, lots of wild ones up to 32 lbs being released between the Trap Shack and the Trailer Park. Too many hits on bait lately so we switched things up and have been hitting lots of springs on 4" Coyote spoons. Consistent depths have been 65 and 85 on the riggers in water depths up to 120 ft for the bigger springs.

Becher Bay boat launch quiet this am. I was the first boat at Trap Shack 6:30 am. Thats never happened before.
Two small springs and two coho. Lots of wild, 1 pink and 1 sock to throw back.
Spoons outfished bait which is nice.

Out again today.9:30-12:30 Lamb to Aldridge. 74' green/silver spoon. 1 Decent spring one small spring and nearly 20 Coho in less then 3 hours. Lots of fun other then the winds.

-KK

Had just a short 4 hour trip today from 9 to 1pm. Went to Otter and had non stop Coho and pink pestering. lol Then managed a 21 and a 16 to fill out the 8 fish limit for the 2 guests. Going to be a hard year on bait by the looks of it. Good thing I ordered extra. Nice to have the wind push all the crap in the water up on the beach, finally.

YES i hear ya pro we managed about the same got the first tyee pink as well tipping in at 11 lbs... LOL had a big hump already?? wth is going on this year???everything is really early never seen so many coho this early looked at my records and 1990 was like this. awesome to see sooooo many fish of sooke get out there people nows the time..
Side note DFO was at the dock today and pinched some guys with wild coho so please people really look at what your catching...

good luck Wolf

YES i hear ya pro we managed about the same got the first tyee pink as well tipping in at 11 lbs... LOL had a big hump already?? wth is going on this year???everything is really early never seen so many coho this early looked at my records and 1990 was like this. awesome to see sooooo many fish of sooke get out there people nows the time..
Side note DFO was at the dock today and pinched some guys with wild coho so please people really look at what your catching...

good luck Wolf

Wow they actually nailed them this time. LAsttime I saw 6 wild and a soc on the table and the TWO guys got a warning.

Im planning on heading to Sooke this weekend. What is the Chinook size limit now?
Thanks
Stosh

That is correct, up to 85cm for a Wild ( non-clipped) chinook, hatchery can be over. 2 per license...

Insane, bizarro fishing at Trap shack 6am. Could only keep one rod in the water for all the Coho.
Found one small spring

A good day all round today. The wind/water was better most of the day than I expected it to be. Bit cool until mid morning but nice after that. Hit 9 springs and landed 6 of them. Nothing really big all seem to be cookie cutters 9-15 pounds, 3 wild 3 hatch. Lots of Coho again but most were wild today. We kept clear of the Coho in the morning but couldn't keep away from them once the tide started to flood. Went through about 6 trays of bait today...ouch. Reminds me of the 90's and the mac attack days.

Fished 6am-noon today. We decided to keep it simple to start with (not going to repeat my last trip in a hurry!!) and went for coho from the off, about 2K out from Secretary. Got hits on pink squirts and glow white squirts at 70-100 feet. Also put out an Apex which seemed to catch slightly bigger ones, especially if we slowed down. Ended with 4 keeper hatch coho, lost 7 and released 15 wildies. Never saw a pink!
Finished the last 90 minutes in close at the Trap with good old anchovies but did not get a hit from any sort of fish whatsoever there, so we called it a day. Incredible hot day on the water--- gotta love summer in BC!

Last edited by a moderator:
pinks

Fished 6am-noon today. We decided to keep it simple to start with (not going to repeat my last trip in a hurry!!) and went for coho from the off, about 2K out from Secretary. Got hits on pink squirts and glow white squirts at 70-100 feet. Also put out an Apex which seemed to catch slightly bigger ones, especially if we slowed down. Ended with 4 keeper hatch coho, lost 7 and released 15 wildies. Never saw a pink!
Finished the last 90 minutes in close at the Trap with good old anchovies but did not get a hit from any sort of fish whatsoever there, so we called it a day. Incredible hot day on the water--- gotta love summer in BC!

fished today 7-12pm. caught 4marked coho and 5 pinks just off of secratery released about8 wilds no springs for us used bait and pink hootchies

Fished Secretary 6:30-10:30, released 5 wild, kept 4 hatchery, I got a fiesty 12lb spring. Boy did it peel line like a big guy! Picked up 5 keeper crabs. Can you believe the weather? Calm and no fog? Fantastic day on the water! in a couple 100 ft of water 50-90 ft on the rigger. My lure did the lions share today, Silver Betsy flasher and Electric chair hootchie, even the spring! Xena

Fished out near at the first tide line off the Trap from 10 to 1. No Springs, but non stop coho action - great fun, almost Any depth worked from 20 down to 80ft. We mostly used bait, and baitrex. For fun, I tried a Rhys Davis teaser head with no anchovie, and guess what those crazy coho were hitting it! Ran some big 6" spoons, and still got coho, just bigger. Great to see so many people out able to get some fish and enjoy this great place we live in that we often take for granted.
Stosh

Back