Sonarcharts and Lowrance Insight Genesis

Earl Ledge

I had great hopes for this chart rewriting technology. Last season I ran Sonarcharts Live into my iPad using a wifi and transducer system called T-box. The transducer was only effective down to about 200 feet, but it worked as advertised, allowed my to identify and chart holes and humps that did not otherwise show on my charts, even though previously, of course, the sounder and GPS readings did allow you to search these things out.

I picked up a Lowrance Elite Nine at HC after reading about the Sonarcharts option and speaking with people at the Chandler. Well surprise surprise. It turns out ( with the sounder I got) you have to take OUT your Navionics chart chip, put a micro sd chip into the Chartplotter, drive around the area creating a sonar log while navigating with some totally different machine, take the sonar log to a computer and send the file to them, wait a bit, download the processed file and then, I'm still not clear if you somehow mind-meld this new file into your Navionics chip or only can use the newly processed chart while the new chip is in, and only for that area. Overall, you can see where this is heading. Last year as I jigged for bottom fish, my iPad rewrote the chart using Sonarcharts Live and the Navionics fifty buck charts on my iPad.

This year I am driving around looking at my bright new Lowrance screen thinking, screwed again by misleading advertising, and unclear statements where you only discover the limitations and handicaps after you buy the product. Who wants to take out their nav chart to make a sonar log?
I'm assuming I am not the first person to go through this. I have watched a lot of Youtubes on this and find that I now feel I have been screwed. On the other hand, I am hopeful I have simply overlooked some key pieces of the puzzle and that you folks can straighten me out...?
I did write to Lowrance Canada, and they confirmed that the Nav chart has to come out to record a sonar log. That's as far as I got with this.
I understand there is a method through NMEA and a wifi box to beam the Lowrance transducer feed to the IPad. Is anyone doing that? Cheers and happy Saturday.

Some of the Lowrance/Simrad products have 2 SD card slots on them so you can leave the Navionics in place and write the sonar logs to a second card. I've got the Simrad EVO-2 and it can do that. I have done the networking with the unit, but thus far have not linked to the Sonarcharts. It's very handy for firmware updates.

My tip for the networking to save some $$$ is to go purchase a $35 10/100/1000 switch like this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KFD0SEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- it's internal power supply is 12vDC and can run directly off your house bank. Or get one of these and you get Ethernet plus WiFi: https://www.amazon.ca/TRENDnet-Wire..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=446AJGM3BXSQZ1CJ7148 Purchase one of the Lowrance Ethernet cables, cut it in half and crimp an RJ45 cable to it and voila -- you have now networked your devices -- the Lowrance LSS or GoFree WiFi units are stupid expensive for what they are.

Thanks TenMile, this sounds like the idea! I think I'll order the Trendnet and see if I can relay my Lowrance sounder data to the iPad that way. My brother in law is an electrician with the crimpers & know how to assemble the wire, if it happens to boggle me. Yes these things are crazy expensive, but it's worth the hundred bucks to me to get the Lowrance wire and the router and give it a shot; at least with the iPad and Sonarcharts Live I am getting real time chart redrawing and the info is stored on the iPad so presumably it is backed up when I backup the iPad. And my codfishing is much more fun when I travel to my favourite holes and pinnacles.

Here is the pinout for the Lowrance Ethernet cable. http://yachtelectronics.blogspot.com/2010/05/lowrance-yellow-ethernet-cabling.html You can either crimp an RJ45 connector to the end, or simply splice a length of pre-made RJ45 to the ends to connect to the WiFi AP.

You probably want to connect the power supply from the router to an Accessory switch otherwise it will run constantly and draw down your batteries.

If there is a WiFi network near your boat, you *may* be able to use the TrendNet in "bridging mode" to connect you to the Internet while at the dock or at home. If you can do that, then you may be able to upload/download your Sonar charts directly from your plotter and download firmware upgrades etc without having to use a PC.

You suggestions are very much appreciated. I'll order the part and get back with the results. I have a couple of busy weeks ahead of me, but I'll definitely go ahead on this, and let you know after I have a trial run. Right now I'm full of hope, with luck that will turn into results.

perhaps the area you fish is already mapped on their social site and you could use a map from there? someone is slowly mapping the saanich and nanaimo areas. you could spend and hour at 4mph and criss cross your area and next time your there you will have a detailed map. you could also upload like this person has to the social map and the next guy could use i as well? i believe the hds series has two sd slots so you can record and still see navionics chart.
sannich.PNG

Does anyone know how to install the new, updated social maps (*.at* files) onto your sounder? Just copy onto the micro SD card?

save your social map to sd card. double click the exe file and unpack it. delete the exe file. when you turn on the hds it will prompt you to use the new chart.

I have been using Insight Genesis for 3 years now on lakes and it works very well. I was so tired of using inaccurate Navionics maps. In some lakes there was a 25' discrepancy in 100' of water which is totally unacceptable. I agree that it is a bit frustrating to remove the chip, upload, wait...and then download. The payoff over time is really good though. I am wondering though how they figure out the tide changes when mapping in the ocean? 12' of tide change would make the mapping change from day to day. This summer I plan on mapping a good portion of the south side of Quadra. I should have done it last year but didn't want the hassle. Oh and the other thing, you have to remember about every 30 minutes to stop the recording and immediately restart it. They suggest keeping the files to about 1 GB.

tide changes are figured out with the data offset feature and i think are done automatically. i have a map of tunstall bay and the tide is marked at point atkinson. you can offset manually for transducer depth on this tab as well. lets say your on a sail boat and the ducer is...... 3' down. offset data is where you make this change.
good point on the file size. they do not add big maps to the social. record several maps through the day this way they merge and update easier. i have tunstall bay and the hump mapped but the file is to big and ignored by gofree social map.

all they navionics cards look great but like you say there are huge mistakes, they took old raster maps and filled the areas with detail that is sometimes way off.

post the quarda map on there social page

I will, I'll have to contact them and find out the max file size for the Social Map, I ALWAYS make mine social, but now that you say it, I don't see all of my maps on the social map and that is probably why...still, nothing beats the accuracy of Insight Genesis that I've found anyway. Just curious, if you have the Hump in your personal maps, can you download and email that map to another user to open on their unit? I'm not sure if that would work or not...

I dont think emailed maps work as I recorded them with my machine and I have my plotcharter serial number attached (copyright). When you download a social map it prompts you for which plotter you would like it on. If you use two separate plotters then you would need to download it twice. One for each unit on separate cards

I have been using Insight Genesis for 3 years now on lakes

Hi Waterwolf, thanks for your reply. I have been away for a few weeks. When I use the Sonarcharts live, the newly detailed info, the info I gather, is contained in a layer that I can turn on or off. With the social maps I am unclear how much area you get, and what level of detail from the original chart gets carried along with the updated soundings. For example, if I chart a quarter mile stretch along a wall where I fish, and then process that info and download it, do I use a chip that only contains that
Location info that I hav charted, or does the info overlay onto my regular Navionics chart. If so, can I turn it on an off with layers? Thanks.

I am wondering though how they figure out the tide changes when mapping in the ocean? 12' of tide change would make the mapping change from day to day.

Just my guess, but computer files are always date and time stamped. And since Navionics knows exactly where you are, they can use their tide calculator info to adjust for level of the tide where people were at a given day and time.

. Or get one of these and you get Ethernet plus WiFi: https://www.amazon.ca/TRENDnet-Wireless-AC1200-Gigabit-TEW-811DRU/dp/B00BKFYLFO/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Z+cquDNDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=446AJGM3BXSQZ1CJ7148 Purchase one of the Lowrance Ethernet cables, cut it in half and crimp an RJ45 cable to it and voila -- you have now networked your devices -- the Lowrance LSS or GoFree WiFi units are stupid expensive for what they are.

Hi TenMile, back after being away, and rereading these posts.
I have my old household wireless router around somewhere, we upgraded to one with more horsepower last year. Is a wireless router- a wireless router? Maybe the power supply for my old house unit is also 12 volts?

Some of the Lowrance/Simrad products have 2 SD card slots on them so you can leave the Navionics in place and write the sonar logs to a second card. I've got the Simrad EVO-2 and it can do that. I have done the networking with the unit, but thus far have not linked to the Sonarcharts. It's very handy for firmware updates.

My tip for the networking to save some $$$ is to go purchase a $35 10/100/1000 switch like this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KFD0SEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- it's internal power supply is 12vDC and can run directly off your house bank. Or get one of these and you get Ethernet plus WiFi: https://www.amazon.ca/TRENDnet-Wireless-AC1200-Gigabit-TEW-811DRU/dp/B00BKFYLFO/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Z+cquDNDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=446AJGM3BXSQZ1CJ7148 Purchase one of the Lowrance Ethernet cables, cut it in half and crimp an RJ45 cable to it and voila -- you have now networked your devices -- the Lowrance LSS or GoFree WiFi units are stupid expensive for what they are.
Just to be clear, if i want to send my Gen 2 touch to an ipad or iphone I will need to purchase the Trendnet unit that you posted (amazon $84) then purchase a lowrance Ethernet cable?

Earl ledge.....have you tried this set up yet?

Just to be clear, if i want to send my Gen 2 touch to an ipad or iphone I will need to purchase the Trendnet unit that you posted (amazon $84) then purchase a lowrance Ethernet cable?

Earl ledge.....have you tried this set up yet?
I have been working out of town and it hasn't stopped quite yet, so no I have not yet.

Hi TenMile, back after being away, and rereading these posts.
I have my old household wireless router around somewhere, we upgraded to one with more horsepower last year. Is a wireless router- a wireless router? Maybe the power supply for my old house unit is also 12 volts?

Hi Earl -- sorry missed this question. Yes, basically any wireless router will work -- ones that have 4+ Ethernet ports are better as you can use them to network Sonar/Radar etc. Check the back of the unit and it will tell you what it needs for a power source -- anything around 12vdc will work -- if the device needs more than 14v it likely won't work (make sure you fuse the power). I would recommend either an 802.11n or 802.11ac unit and would avoid using an older 802.11g/b unit as those will be slow and may not paint the screen quickly enough.

I do have a lowrance gofree wifi module for sale if anyone is interested

Back