Sonar VS underwater video camera

Sea Ranger

I was wondering if anyone out there has sonar on their boat and how well they work. I have a chance to buy a new toy for my boat and I'm not sure if I would get more out of a sonar unit or an underwater video camera. I have done a lot of research about underwater video cameras and the best one for the price is a Sea view camera. I was really close to buying one when I started thinking about buying a sonar unit. Sonar is more money so not sure what I should do. Does sonar really work good to see whats down there or is it more like a glorified deapth sounder? I like the camera idea cause then I will be able to see my bait rolling, see if there is any junk on my gear, I can see the actual strike. So my question to you is would you rather have an underwater video camera or a sonar unit? What would you do???..... thanks..... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

i'd rather have sonar, so you can see the full water column and bottom depth, a sonar / fish finder would be my first choice a camera would maybe be interesting to look at but the sonar would be more useful finding bait balls and bottom

Our cold and nutrient rich waters off BC are too murky to see anything further than 15 feet or so. So don't expect to see much with the camera especially if deeper than 30 - 40' water depth. Charlie White tried it many years ago and had to experiment a lot until he had a camera rig that would produce once in a while some interesting shots. IMHO, a camera is a waste of money but a sonar an essential.

Thanks for the input, I really did want a camera but must admit I think it would be more of a toy compared to a real sonar unit. Sonar is quite expensive and I don't know much about them so I will check them out online. If anyone has used sonar before let me know as I would like to know how well they actually see under the boat and do they show you whats coming up ahead of you? and what kind of detail can you see? Thanks, Steve.

SR, when you are talking about "sonar" what are you referring to? All fish finders/depth sounders are basic sonar units. Are you thinking about a unit that provides forward and side scanning also?

Hi Time, Yes when I say sonar I mean side viewing, I thought they come with front viewing options but not in the dollar range I am looking at. I already have a nice depth sounder and unless I spend $2500 or $3000. dollars on a new sonar I'm not sure I'd be happy with it. So in a nut shell.... I can't afford a real good one and the less expensive ones barely do much more then what my sounder does.... at least it seems that way. Maybe a nice sea view camera is the answer after all. And if my fishing partner doesn't find his handheld gps soon I might have to buy one of those. Probably a better idea but the camera does sound like it could be fun.

While they both might be neat options to have, I doubt they will up your odds any. I guarantee if you get a camera after the novelty will wear off and you won't mess it very often.

I'd say save your money and buy a case of beer and fill up the boat with gas and go fishing.

SR,
Remember, you get what you pay for. A good sonar that scans 360 degrees costs 5 times what you say you're into spending. I'm not sure what advantage side-scan will give you but if that's what you want, you can mount multiple transducers and connect them to your existing sounder with a three way switch which will give you straight down, which you already have, port or starboard "side scan". The camera would be fun but vis is poor around here Chris73 said so unless you attach it to your downrigger it won't see much at all.

Back