Some thoughts about the future of our fisheries

Whole in the Water

Here is a great post form the BCFishingReports.com forum on ideas on habitat restoration. Some good ideas and food for thought.

Yes this site already does a great deal to educate anglers and to encourage catch and release fishing and as such I commend all who participate in it. However there is much more that can be done.

First off lets seriously consider the nursery of our fisheries and what key factors are really causing the historically recent catastrophic demise.

What are the first effective things that we could possibly do to mitigate this collapse?

The causes of stream habit loss to those who have been in the bush are obvious. Namely the denuding of and lack of water retention on critical spawning streams.

How can we deal with steam habitat loss caused by the overheating and lack of flow in glide and pool waters on our salmon streams? Is there a feasible and cost effective answer to this ecological disaster?

The short answer is perhaps. It is entirely possible to identify the critical heating areas on streams that have lost over-stream cover due to industrial activities and other reasons. Then use extensive and essentially inexpensive shading with existing farming technology to protect these areas from UV radiation and overheating. The shading technology used to protect ginseng plants from overheating could easily be adapted for this purpose. The technology that I refer to is wind resistant and can be temporarily erected on sections of streams to both provide over-stream cover and would also be reusable. It can be rolled up like a patio umbrella in winter rain and snow season or even removed in easy access areas.

Is this costly? yes, could it this be effective? Perhaps. The logistics are obvious but not unreasonable considering the alternative.

There are huge numbers of denuded streams, especially on hill sides because of our activities in areas that need to have overs-stream cover especially in years like this one that see drought conditions.

What else can be done to mitigate high water temps on streams during the summer Chinook, Sockeye and even on some summer run Steelhead streams that are still viable? Streams like the San Juan, the Gordon, the Klanawa, the Nitinat, the Nahmint, the Nipkish and a whole host of other similar streams all over the province that have had the forest denuded in their head waters.

Perhaps temporary removable, controllable small strategic dams with artificial over-stream cover can replace the work that beavers once did in holding back side channel streams and thus cooling the flow in some appropriate areas of streams that have been denuded.

In Washington State they are starting to finally see the folly of large dams, but just maybe small ones might do some good in very specific areas.

Fish ladders might also aid on some streams where a new run can be established or the removal of log jams that have occurred and blocked fish is called for in places that can support anadromous fish.

The effective stewardship of our shared environment must reach beyond the artificial boundaries of our political economy.

I truly hope that some here on this forum actually read this post and carefully consider advocating for these simple ideas as we need young and enthusiastic individuals to take up the cause and not fall prey to the political rot and negativity that seems to predominate our current environmental policies.

In short the ecological price we are paying for our activities is far too expensive, remediation is expensive, but the price of doing nothing is astronomical.

Eric​

Extensive deforestation has a finger in that pie. Then add all the other woes we are causing. Changes made now could start showing in less than twenty years.

I suggest your overgenerous bag limits are also a huge factor in what is taking place. the rape, pillage and plunder mindset of the olden days lives on in BC waters along with AK. you all can see the impact in AK on the Kenai this year. all you have to do is look south to see just how bad it is going to get for you. habitat is critical but even more important is allowing escapement by shortening seasons, introducing reasonable bag limits and most importantly limiting commercial harvest and methods. simply focusing on habitat is to turn a blind eye to all of the other factors which contribute to a collapsed fishery. sacrifice on the part of ALL of the players is what its going to take and that includes the rec anglers.

I am a younger generation angler, and have been exploring the web, and local sources. Trying to increase my knowledge of the current situation of our fisheries. I found this post very informative, and would appreciate any suggestions, on any other sources any one may know.

I suggest your overgenerous bag limits are also a huge factor in what is taking place. the rape, pillage and plunder mindset of the olden days lives on in BC waters along with AK. you all can see the impact in AK on the Kenai this year. all you have to do is look south to see just how bad it is going to get for you. habitat is critical but even more important is allowing escapement by shortening seasons, introducing reasonable bag limits and most importantly limiting commercial harvest and methods. simply focusing on habitat is to turn a blind eye to all of the other factors which contribute to a collapsed fishery. sacrifice on the part of ALL of the players is what its going to take and that includes the rec anglers.

What over generous bag limits are you talking about?

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - there are piles of scientific studies proving naturally occurring habitat is far more productive than anything man can engineer. Factor in the cost, as the cost to undertake even the most simplistic habitat restoration project is extremely costly, and the cost of protection and prevention is orders of magnitude more cost effective. The Cohen Commission concluded that Canada needed to beef up our habitat protection, instead the Conservative government significantly weakened the habitat provisions of the Fisheries Act and cut DFO's habitat program by more than 60%. If we're accelerating habitat loss, what sense does it make to rehabilitate habitats when there's no way we can keep pace with the loss and we know it won't be as productive as what we're allowing to be destroyed? It's throwing good money after bad.

While restoration projects are great for educating the young, instilling ownership and a conservation ethic, it's comparable to switching to fluorescent light bulbs and thinking you're making a difference for global warming.

Anyway, I'm overly pessimistic as I've been in this business far too long and watching things go to **** continues to be heart breaking. Still, let's protect what we've got before we worry about restoring what we've lost.

Ukee

generous bag limits? WN!!! envy is a green colour. americans have way too much restrictions yes, we as canadians definitely do not have too generous of bag limits. commercial methods and degradation are the key problems. we as sports-fishers harvest less than 2% or less of any biomass.

I personally do think we have overly generous bag limits for salmon.. I would hope most people only take what they need. We can legally harvest 30 chinook a year?? That's ridiculous.... Even if you have a family of 10
Don't start going down that route-I have a couple of married daughters and a family next door with 4 kids-no salmon that comes here goes to waste. Remember the limit is 15 for the inside-also remember cutting annual bag limits also affects the winter fishermen. Why go there-when there is no reason to even bring it up.

Don't start going down that route-I have a couple of married daughters and a family next door with 4 kids-no salmon that comes here goes to waste. Remember the limit is 15 for the inside-also remember cutting annual bag limits also affects the winter fishermen. Why go there-when there is no reason to even bring it up.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers... We are lucky with what we have though!

Back