Some observations about this site, a newbies view

Thanks for the feed back. I'm already seeing that it will take me a bit to get the hang of who everyone is and where they stand on issues. I can also appreciate the risk of over fishing limited stocks. Same for the crab and prawn hotspots. All I'm really looking for is information on , for instance, what would make a good crab or prawn area versus a bad one. Once I have that, I'll go find my own spots. Thanks again and have a good one.

Fish On!!
quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Dont be discouraged if you dont get a response to every question.

I will not post information on an open board about semi-sedentary species like crabs and prawns. Even lingcod, which do migrate somewhat, are best not mentioned here on the southcoast. Its too easy to increase the pressure on small local stocks.

Salmon, however, are another matter. They are migratory, or are stopping for a while where the grits are good. Here one day-- moved the next. In short order you will figure out some of the local hotspots. And for those, the only danger is an overload of fishermen on a hotspot.

But none of us can have the ocean to ourselves. Dont be afraid to ask questions about the dos and donts in an area where the fishing pressure is heavy. There are a lot of us that think more fishermen are a good thing when it comes to dealing with DFO... so you will get the info you need to get you going.

AND-- use the "search" feature on this board (upper right hand corner of the page) All sorts of info there. There is very little that we havent beaten to death on this board. :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

great post! i just want to let everyone know i have been following this forum for the last two years. i was fortunate enough to be invited on a 4 day fishing trip to barkley a couple years ago and became TOTALLY hooked on fishing the chuck. i live in kamloops and only get down once a year. i dont have the option of trial and error. and can honestly say 95% of the sh&* i try on the water relates to stuff i read on this forum. i by far take away more than i could ever give backand to those seasoned anglers who are nice enough to share their knowledge i thank you. hopefully one day i can share something relevamt on this site that will help another fellow angler out. until that day comes though i will read......ask questions....and occasionally post some of my experiences. to every contributer out there thank you because if it wasnt for you i would be absolutely clueless out there!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

BTW... Bassblaster - good post! :)

And, Kelly Russell was/is one hell of a good fisherman! I learned a lot fishing next to him, I haven't talked to or seen him in years... can anyone even tell me if he is even still alive?

Kelly is no longer in Tahsis - He moved out about 3 years ago. Ended up in Courtenay/Comox area if I'm not mistaken.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

BTW... Bassblaster - good post! :)

And, Kelly Russell was/is one hell of a good fisherman! I learned a lot fishing next to him, I haven't talked to or seen him in years... can anyone even tell me if he is even still alive?

Kelly is no longer in Tahsis - He moved out about 3 years ago. Ended up in Courtenay/Comox area if I'm not mistaken.

If I am not mistaken Kelly, was one of only two guides back then and believe it or not, he was usually the only other boat that fished Ferrer point with me. He was pretty deadly back then with that old metal boat of his!

Hey Jim, what did you think seeing that article? Believe that was before you moved up there, wasn't it? Surprised to see a fishing article publlished about Nootka back in 1995? Tis, how I found about it. Once there, then came Kyuquot. Both areas took me friggen years to find a crab! LOL That was the first year Cathy and Critter opened. And, just to prove the point, how many of those areas published in 95 are still popular ones - real secret, ey? LOL

quote:Hey Jim, what did you think seeing that article? Believe that was before you moved up there, wasn't it? Surprised to see a fishing article publlished about Nootka back in 1995? Tis, how I found about it. Once there, then came Kyuquot. Both areas took me friggen years to find a crab! LOL That was the first year Cathy and Critter opened. And, just to prove the point, how many of those areas published in 95 are still popular ones - real secret, ey? LOL

Hi Charlie:

Yes, that was before my time in Tahsis! I moved here in 2002 and started guiding here the following summer.

Before that, I guided in Vancouver, working out of Sewell's Marina in Horseshoe Bay for 2 years, then moved into Richmond Marina until I moved up here.

In 1995 (when the article was written), I was guiding for Eagle Pointe Lodge on Wales Island on the North side of Dixon Entrance and the South side of the Alaska panhandle. Man, we had some great crab fishing up there!

We had the best of both worlds. All the guides had Alaska licenses and we could fish there provided we didn't have any paying guests onboard. We would set all of our crab & prawn traps on the Alaska side of the channel. The nice thing is that it was too far for the commercial crabbers from Ketchikan to go, and the Canadian crabbers couldn't set in Alaska waters. We had them all to ourselves!

The running joke at the lodge was "Oh, not CRAB again!!!" as we had it every day. I think I was the only one who ate crab every single day I was there - some 120 days in camp.

If you have any earlier issues of Island Fisherman, check the '93 and '94 issues for Vancouver/Howe Sound. I wrote for them back then as well as a couple of years up here. I also got the cover of BC Sportfishing in '96 with a near record Yelloweye that weighed in at 25 pounds and just missed the record by 4 ounces or a pound and a quarter depending which author's story you read about it.

Also, while at EPL, I just missed a record with the first Chum Salmon I ever boated. As I recall, it was 23 1/2 pounds and missed the record by a pound and a half. The lodge owner would have paid to have it mounted - we slabbed it out and fired it into the camp smoker !

bcsfm-400.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Charlie , love to hook up one day , love your posts

Agree wholeheartedly!! [8D]

As I alluded to earlier Bassblaster....there are posts and threads that aren't gonna garner a lot of interest from a lot of guy's/gals. This was just posted up over on BCFR this morning..........the "one post wonder" that I referred to earlier.

Randon internet guy lookin' for the supermarket on post #1.[:eek:)][:p]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son and I typically fish in Port Hardy but we would like to try Coal and Winter Harbours.
Any info on some favorite</u> spots to try would be apreciated.

Springs, Ling, Halis, Crabbing and prawnning spots.

We will be heading up in August.

Thanks in advance for any info

Conan

You wonder why not everyone wants to tell where their secret fishin hole is!!!
633879876622600025-fishinghole.jpg
[/img]
I found this on another site and it just seem to fit this thread.
Welcome Bassblaster, Enjoy the topics and conversations,there is a lot of
knowledgeable people on this site and you WILL learn lots. Don't take things
too serious around here. Hope to see you out on the water..... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Interesting thread Bassblaster. Some conversation going on for sure. Remember it's just the internet;). IMO you should use your time and interest monitoring the threads and posts on this site as you have getting out there:D. Nothing beats getting out on the brine and fishing and failing and failing again over and over and learning from your failures. Time on the water is the best education you can get.

Sea Ranger that demotivational poster is classic. Just printed it off and put it in the lunch room. Thanks.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Back