Some observations about this site, a newbies view

Bassblaster

Hello Everyone:)

I just wanted to say that in the past week that I've been a member here I've noticed some interesting things about this site as a new comer.

For starters I've been through about two dozen of the topics here from start to finish and noticed that only a handful of people actually ad to the posts, and it's almost always the same handful.

Now I might be out to lunch, but when there's a really hot topic, some have over 24,000 reads but only 200 posts, it seems to me that there's a lot of people on here that are here to gather information, but not share any.

Unless the site is recording every time someone checks to see if there's a new post, which it probably does, it means that either the people who are actually using this site to communicate are checking for updates on every topic about every five minutes, or there are a lot of people out there not doing any talking.

I can't remember which topic it was under but I think it was posted by Unknown where he commented that he found it humorous that people were being secretive about their fishing reports, or using coded radio messages etc. If it wasn't you Unknown , please accept my appology but I read about 350 posts over the past couple days and my memory isn't what it used to bwe.:)

Another member posted that he was tired of reading about how everyone rigs their herring and would really like to hear some new or offbeat methods for things that are, or might, work. I agree, we should all be willing to share new techniques and ideas as well as revisit tried and true methods for people who are new to the sport, the area, or the style of fishing. If we didn't there would be no fishing shows, magazines, or web sites like this one.

A a newbie to the site I have to say that the people who responded to my posts were courtious, and seemed willing to share their knowledge and information. To all of you, thanks.

But with the thousands of reads on the site tracking system there seem to be a lot of members who aren't getting involved in adding to the information sharing.

Once I move to the island next week I plan on wetting a line as much as possible, both fresh and salt water, and if I have something noteworthy to tell you all you can bet you will see it here.

The way I see it, 80% of the fish are in 20% of the water. That means our lures are not going to catch fish 80% of the time. If we catch them somewhere one day they may or may not be there the next. So really, in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if you tell someone where, how, and on what you were catching fish the day before? Probably not.

Even if you do happen to be in Fishy water there are days where the only way to put something in the boat is with Dynamite.

So to all of you out there that just read these forums, get involved and make it a better place.

Otherwise we'll all have to back to serfing for ****.:D

Fish On!!

Good one bassblaster. [8D]
As you have pointed out there is a huge ratio of looker to poster.
Some posters have fished a tonne...... some posters have not. Some posters that have fished a lot have a bunch of stuff that they have under their belt. A bunch of stuff that may not come up on a public forum for all the lookers to see.
This is (as messed up as it is....p.s. watch out for the fresh forum..lol) a community. If you asked something that I had a response to (and didnt want it public) I'd shoot ya a pm, and fill ya in.
Wether you want to be a jacka$$ [:I] or a charlie :D Your 2 bits still add 2 bits to the board
There is a lot of info at the hit of that search button ;)
As "LastChance" said,
Join the conversation!

(........Oh yeah do I hear a bass suck [xx(] )
:D:D:D

Hey lipripper, I like Bass fishing. :)
Nothing quite as much fun as topwater fishing plugs for smallmouth.

Nice to hear a new point of view Bassblaster. I am in total agreement, very small percentage of viewers to the site are actually contributing. It is really starting to get noticeable how the server is lagging because of the number of hits the site is getting now that the weather is getting better.

The more tips the better, everyone can contribute something.

Welcome aboard BB!

As LC says, the best way to change the looker/poster ratio is - to be a poster! (by the way, many fish-farmers lurk in the background here:)...

This from - The King of Puttin' His Foot in His Mouth!

Cheers,
Terry

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Ok, enough blowing smoke. This is how I see it.. The last thing I want is to show up to one of my spots that Ive found through years of trial and error and find a hundred boats there... internet people who I dont know. So, dont expect me (and Im speaking just for myself), to tell you every little trick that its taken me years to learn. That said, If I get to know you, even if only through posting, and you seem to be a solid dude, I may PM some insider info. Just my 2 cents.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

There called Bottom Feeders , Lurkers ,

some just enjoying the read and pics , most , just looking for " When " to go ? , " What " to use ? "How deep ? last , " Doe's " she have a Sister ? lol

It's the way it is bro , quite humorous , love getting swamped by boats out there that recognise the boat name , full throttle , like a guided missle , Gaptain Lucky behind the helm , a stratgically thrown can of luke warm Donkey **** Beer , (lol , Didi ,) bouncing off my Port Glass Window , rolling into my Blood Soaked Fish well , GOOD TIMES , living the dream ,,,LOL..

most guy's on this forum that post "Regularily" are quite knowledgeable in some manner , or area ,

as IFL said , you don't want to give out too much info , as you may find the power of the internet can Swamp out your reports in a real hurry. It took some time , but i did learn , too much info is not a good thing, we do however network from these posted reports via emails , texts , cell , etc.. etc.. with members that contribute , if someone pulls up to me out on the water , tells me who they are , recognise there name , glad to throw ya a bone , if i have one , expect the same from others , scratch , scratch...

As far as lures , tecniques , etc.. Bring it on , never have to much info , Your right Bass Blaster , "The way I see it, 80% of the fish are in 20% of the water. That means our lures are not going to catch fish 80% of the time.
Well said , Welcome to SFBC

Off to clean - Up my new 32 Trailer ( Mother Ducker ), See ya boys next week

out

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Bassblaster, I for one really appreciate your post. While I would not expect anyone to pass on all their secrets, I agree with your comment that there is a lot of water and not that many boats. All too often I am out on the water and there are few other boats out. I firmly believe that the more info we share the more likely we all are to have decent opportunities. For myself, if I get into fish, I share the info, as others have done for me on slow days. Karma can be our friend, or a b_ _ ch. We all make our choices and have to live with them. I am sure that you will find the vast majority of the people on the site to be both courteous and helpful. Cheers and welcome. :)

Too much water, too little time

I figure, "I can't share what I don't have" so I guess I come under the heading of "lurker" most of the time. I am blessed with a life that allows me to only make it up the Ukee once a year so I listen (on this site) a lot. If I ever get to where I know enough to add my $.02 about salmon & halibut I'll be glad to share more. In the meantime I appreciate all I can learn from those who do know something here. And if any of you ever want to try your luck on LITTLE fish (landlocked striped bass) at Lake Powell, Utah I'll be glad to give you more advice than you probably want. Or you can visit my website describing structure related fish-holding areas at Lake Powell. www.gpspowell.info In the meantime, thanks to all who share. This is one "school" at which I'm happy to be a student.

Here is the way I see it and I do somewhat agree with Island Fish Lifter as I have seen what "can" happen on a forum where anyone with a computer/internet access can read a post. Let's just say I saw one of my favourite little crabbing areas that "used" to have just 1 or 2 floats in it all of a sudden go to about 25 floats AFTER someone posted up info that I shared with them via private messaging. So don't expect the world from everyone......but believe me when it comes to helping out newb's or putting in my share of info/knowledge to help where I can; I am all for it. You also do get a feel for people even thought you don't know them other than a "username" and maybe the odd "photo"...and just even on reading posts etc there are plenty of members on here I would tilt a pint or 10 back with.[8D]

You also have to remember that although not everyone is going to post on EVERY topic....there are a lot of us who will read a topic to see what's being said or perhaps just pick up some info. If EVERYONE who was learning from a thread and didn't have anything to share (new to the area being discussed whether it be geographical area, techniques etc) it would also get a bit annoying reading 100 "thank you for the info" posts in a thread. ;)

There is also the "reports" threads which I think it's great for people to share reports, what's working, what's not....where the bite has been good.......but again with those threads it's not a thread where you want to see a bunch of "nice fish" posts. It's almost too bad that there wasn't such thing as a "like" function similar to what they have on Facebook. At least you know people appreciate the post but you don't have to see a ton of "nice fish" posts. People may check in on the threads to see what's been happening in "Sooke" or "Bamfield" but not have something to add. Hell....I don't fish Sooke or Victoria but I read those threads everytime I log on so I guess I am "guilty" of adding to the "views" and not the "posts". [:I]

You wanna see one hell of a thread?? Go into the Conservation, Fishery Politics and Management forum and have a look at the fish farming thread. Keeee-RIST....I remember when that first started and I followed it not so much to add info but to pay attention to a fantastic debate that was going on. I just looked in there the other day and say it is over 1000 posts with "north" of 50,000 views!!![:p] [8D] Some of those "views" are mine....and I haven't posted in that thread at all.

The other thing is "yes"....there are generally WAY more lurkers/guests than there are members on the forum at any given time. On another BC Fishing Forum you can see how many "people" are online and how many are "members"(including which ones) but you can also see how many "guests" are on the forum. I can tell ya this much....it is generally around 5 to 1 of "guests" to "members". One interesting thing they did over there as there a fair number "more" forums and you can only access some sections after you have reached 20 posts. For example....there is a "Saltwater General Discussion" area that any Joe Blow can read....for those members that don't yet have 20 posts they can post their reports in there as well as the bulk of us post any general saltwater discussions in there. Once you get to 20 posts you all of a sudden get to see forums which are specifically "report" forums divided up into a few different geographical areas both in the freshwater and saltwater forums. It does **** some people off but it also encourages people to get involved in the forums and add to the discussion. Everyone is a new fisherman/woman at some point and these forums ARE great for sharing info and getting to learn more about fishing and all it's many facets of discussion.

For me....it's just nice to see people get involved and add to the discussion.....even if they are just asking questions or trying to "gain" knowledge. (aka; a rookie). It's the "one post wonders" that join the forum....ask a question like "Hi I am new to the forum; can someone let me know where I catch halibut, preferably larger ones in the Renfrew area and exact coordinates would be appreciated". And....maybe a few people offer some ideas as to "where" and the "one post wonder" is gone as fast as they appeared without so much of a "Thank You". [:eek:)]

So that's my 2 cents......ya there are TONS of posts on this forums and TONS of "views" of forums but all in all I would say there are really only no more than 100 members who are actively involved.

In conclusion..........don't judge a thread or a forum by it's views. ;) We thank you for your support.[8D]

I learned a LONG time ago that "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." So saying, I'll post when I think I have something constructive to add, other wise I read everything and try to expand my knowledge somewhat.

There are lots of folks here that will help you out with excellent information on boat rigging (batteries, for example), boat handling (such as anchoring), pros and cons of various makes and models etc and even some 'how-to's' on fishing for the various species. Good stuff and much appreciated.

This is a good place to hang out, whether you have something to add or just to read up on other fishers adventures.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Not sure whether I just got a complement or was called a jacka$$? [:I] :D
:D Was more of a compliment...
P.S. TheBigGuy. I like bass fishing too

Not sure whether I just got a complement or called a jacka$$? [:I] :D

And, ah… the good ole ‘secret’ spot issue rises it head again! For most of you, forget it! :D

Let’s see if I can really put these ‘secret’ fishing spots in prospective? If you do a search, you will find a ‘little’ of a heated debate on this, between others and I? I do very much CONCEDE the boys in Hardy do have some areas – considered secret, and only through ‘their’ local knowledge. However, the ones I posted awhile back are readily available and well known. As far as the other spots up there, not that well known, okay guess what, there has been a thing here and there mentioned, but no real articles, so I would say - those are secret and I respect that, at least until there is a half dozen articles written on them? Actually, the same applies to Winter Harbour, and maybe to a smaller extent, Kyuquot? For example, I can and know where to catch Crab in Kyuquot, very much kept, close to that cuff by locals… and you will never see THAT published by me, on any forum! :D

As far as the rest? I have been fishing those areas, while ‘most’ of you where in diapers and before some of you where even a gleam in your daddy’s eye! I am not so sure the impression of this forum having much effect on the number of boats showing up at any given particular fishing spot is valid? There aren’t many spots that are really secret anywhere around Vancouver Island – they are plastered all over the place and have had many books and articles written about them, some over a good 20 plus years. As mentioned to another member (through email), all but very few spots that I ever post are ‘secret’ and not well known. :D

I do remember back in the 90’s when NO ONE was fishing Ferrer Point but a very few of us and all of these forums didn’t exist, I never told anyone, and it didn’t remain ‘secret’ very long due to just word of mouth. In 1997 I had over 70 fricken boats fishing my “secret” spot!

As most know, I keep records… will guess what, I also keep articles. Check this out! Now you tell me how secret those spots are? That was published in 1995! And, this is far before the internet and this: http://www.salmonuniversity.com/bc_index.html Good luck on “YOUR” secrets!

Tahsis19950001.jpg

Tahsis19950002.jpg

Tahsis19950003.jpg

Tahsis19950004.jpg

BTW... Bassblaster - good post! :)

And, Kelly Russell was/is one hell of a good fisherman! I learned a lot fishing next to him, I haven't talked to or seen him in years... can anyone even tell me if he is even still alive?

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Not sure whether I just got a complement or was called a jacka$$? [:I] :D
:D Was more of a compliment...
P.S. TheBigGuy. I like bass fishing too
WOW, that was quick, before I even got done with my edit? :D

Good afternoon everybody!

Thanks for the kind welcome and the great posts!

I thought after reading everyones responses, and I finished laughing With some of you, that I'd better clear some things up.

When it comes to fishing I'm both experienced and a novice. It depends on what we're talking about.

I was landlocked back in Alberta for most of my life until my nephew invited me to fish Duck Lake outside of Creston for Largemouths. Two years later we moved to the Kootenays for the fishing and other outdoor activities.

Now I'm headed to the Island with my wife, who, by the way, nearly always outfishes me while having only fished since we met.

When it comes to freshwater species I've definitely caught my share and have been fortunate enough to have discovered some techniques and tricks of my own that have helped me pull one out of the hat on a crappy day on more than one occassion.

But I'll be totally honest: I don't know **** about saltwater fishing.

I've been on two charters, once in Oregon for bottom fish as the salmon season had closed, and once with a guide out of Parksville with my wife and son. Never caught a salmon on that trip but had a blast with the bottom dwellers and got to see some great wildlife. Also got to listen to the Coastguard out of Comox rescue a couple of Americans that had Holed their boat on some submerged rocks along one of the island shorelines. All in all a pretty good day.

On these trips I learned a bit about the area, a bit about the fish species, and a bit about the different techniques, but in general I know that without some assistance and guidance from more experienced people my learning curve to becoming a "Women want Me; Fish Fear Me" kind of Saltwater fisherman will be:
A) Slow
B) Frustrating
C) Potentially life threatening

Personally I do not wish to experience any of these things. I am here to share what knowledge I do have, and learn new skills from people who are willing to share theirs.

Several of the replies to my initial post made it clear that they weren't about to share hotspots with every Bubba on the internet.

I can fully appreciate that. I've lost the privaledge to hunt and fish on several private lands that only my family, or those in our company, were allowed access to because the "friends" that I took out went back after without me.

Like Clipper said, BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT.........

But I wasn't asking anyone, nor do I expect everyone, to share all of their spots and secrets.

I mean if you head out in the morning and the barometric pressure, tide, and thermocline have the fish holding at 165 feet, and you get them to hit silver and green Crocodile spoons. Let us know. It's a big Ocean, or even lakes for that matter. What worked where you Were, might work where I'm headed.

Hell, if that weren't true there would be no scence in having fishing or outdoor magazines. After all, isn't that how most of us learned what we know before the internet came along?!

Some guy a thousand miles away was willing to share a fishing trick with the masses and Voila! an entire multi billion dollar industry has been born.:D

Think about that. What would you be doing if the guys who invented fishing tackle like reels decided never to share their secrets? We'd either be fishing with spears, or wrapping our lines around the end of a stick! While the spear thing may appeal to me some days, the wrapping 400 feet of 25# test around a stick has no appeal at all. Oh yeah, there wouldn't be any 25# test would there?:(

I joined this site because after reading several hundred posts what I saw was a core group of good people with a boat-load of knowledge, comraderie, humour, and a desire to make new friends and help newbies like me find places to fish and new ways to do it.

Basically I'm hoping you will all tell me where to go.:D:D:D

Did I actually just say that?

Fish ON!!!

Dont be discouraged if you dont get a response to every question.

I will not post information on an open board about semi-sedentary species like crabs and prawns. Even lingcod, which do migrate somewhat, are best not mentioned here on the southcoast. Its too easy to increase the pressure on small local stocks.

Salmon, however, are another matter. They are migratory, or are stopping for a while where the grits are good. Here one day-- moved the next. In short order you will figure out some of the local hotspots. And for those, the only danger is an overload of fishermen on a hotspot.

But none of us can have the ocean to ourselves. Dont be afraid to ask questions about the dos and donts in an area where the fishing pressure is heavy. There are a lot of us that think more fishermen are a good thing when it comes to dealing with DFO... so you will get the info you need to get you going.

AND-- use the "search" feature on this board (upper right hand corner of the page) All sorts of info there. There is very little that we havent beaten to death on this board. :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Originally posted by Bassblaster

Oh!!!! This ""NOT"" going to be popular!!!! :(

Bassblaster?

Did I just read this right and/or understand what you just really said? If so… Okay, I have a problem with this? I provide probably as much if not more information concerning any ‘fishing spots’, on this forum? After reading your last response… the only thing I can say, is hmm… what did I just read, and am I missing something? Did I just read this right? Or, am I misunderstanding something what I just read, or is this just a misunderstanding on what is being asked or stated?

I believe everyone has clearly posted his or her view/feelings, including me… But, please explain these last comments, as right now, I agree with all others and everyone that just stated they didn’t want to give out information? And the question, “Basically I’m hoping you will all tell me where to go.”? At this moment in time, until clarified... my answer would be and is easy... it would be - “GO TO HELL"?

I would love for you to correct any of these thoughts or statements?

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Hi Charlie,

I can see that the nuances of humour are going to be an experience in themselves here.

The happy faces behind the tell me where to go weren't to suck up, it was to show it was meant as a joke and to get the response which you so willingly obliged me. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say "that's easy, go to hell!'

That was the reason I made the further comment, "did I really just say that?''

Sorry if it came across wrong, no offence was meant by any of this.

And again, I will clarify that I'm NOT asking for anyone to give up a spot.

While I'm new to the area I'll be fishing, I know enough to find my own fish and catch them.

The members here talk about places I have never heard of and techniques I don't know. But I am all for sharing information and teaching people something new.

So again, if I came across wrong, my appologies. You'd still be welcome on my boat any time:D

Fish On!!

Back