Candied Salmon recipe / process. In detail. Also works for tuna. For Bradley smokers.

Olde School

Hello everyone. I began writing my recipe down due to the fact that each year I would forget which steps I had taken the year before.
Due to the requests of several friends, this year I have added pictures.
I am always trying to get the most for the least, this recipe is VERY easy, but ironically produces the best candy that I have ever had.
It is painful to recall how much salmon was rendered unpalatable by my early experiments, but thankfully I persevered!
I wish to acknowledge Wolf and Nog for providing much of the early information that lead to this process.
Enjoy!

1) MAKE SURE your smoker isn’t brand new or the first batch of fish will taste weird (kinda like plastic). If it is new then burn some pucks through it for a few hours first.

2) get 2 containers approximately 9.5” x 9.5” x 4.5” or 5.0L each.
i) it is better if the containers have tight lids so you can turn them upside down during the marinating process. We got our Rubbermaid ones from Canadian Tire, and save them for this activity only.
kwIPcK93_N_hpVp8B-mhRC3QRALR-_NIQglsZjgfbUJYQ927I2Lg6jjYYpiblSqWgqbDkrsQh-hEOjUpKnKevvwQ0dA7fK4CGbpT6ivX8_lqiGskjXM8Bt0_lvDD0aLFWg

3) get 2kg of brown sugar and 1 cup of rock salt (even 1 ¼ cups is too much salt). Lately I have been experimenting with even less salt.

k4FQykwu8XvzOE74n3X4kDYAq8u2W81jql7u2XVVUWmpuv4UNlFo_uycryZMv4aHl1YBGUJbTAsDPov5grKNUouLoxPTdhoef5dcp7c54QZD7qrvqHUJRpOicqEw3ii4Og

4) get 9 wood pucks ready
i) you will burn 6 pucks so you need 9 pucks, the final 3 simply push the others onto the element

5) prepare the salmon. It will take approximately 6 medium size Fraser sockeye for this recipe, assuming they are 5 to 6 pounds each.
i) fillet the salmon, leaving the tail attached to both fillets
ii) fillet one side of the salmon, leaving the fillet attached near the tail, then flip the fillet over so that it is skin side down, skin each fillet, then vertically cut the meat into approx 1” wide strips. I always leave the portion nearest the tail intact instead of slicing it.

ZPUoO4zwRDRDTZLvyUcuB1DbckXcrWI_IEMeqAd3kVqA_PNMAR5tEYz3ln2lMhjRyrU6oHgSBA2ZGmXlYJcLVYtn14myzEGIdVOzrypfq9537QptW304zGqrtqO-WIc3JA

he5p3W0fJOVb-KFTgthY-yQtfvJMHwdIEp9RlwBhokMkgfFAow8IpIobF0ceLfkkCcFCx3ncz4ZMXhjyV_MJyNR77ZI9zhYfv5cICdL9ZFZ5z-IOdX7D3HIl-wsguFsSGg

YlKuqTPXhbR1IPtwpMNFElq0ZQw_swLxKWvsoPtgOMvLohEJI5IlPxNo6yCA7ZlHLUaqLJruWdhsxu3yCXNCvvhkioGXZZeB_-QRxtuLzFTOEVGh29Wjxp1yKizBL04xfA

6) make the marinade
i) dump the sugar and salt into any large container, and mix either by hand or use a sturdy spoon.
1MiDarn4JUAAWLadwjNcfT6KyxUVRfyte5h5eeGa5heVW4khg_mz7H4SXzEqi8yOU546hwUHF9nFjz2tiodQi2vMqLh8zU8GEHXL9gGSpy0lklfnDJZ-ud-Xlp1_9ZkdNA

7) begin the marinating
i) place a layer of strips in the container leaving tiny gaps between the strips, if you can. It is okay if the strips touch each other
uROsMUmEnak_IohBPRkQJrIPx3baHg6jK8X5YDqx5f8DoEdnfJ3uVbl_2PgLKj0pKyusRKYX-GQVGaO8qQLORoxXvdbDrrKib7Fv4wd1PI3-D0Rba0HWuQ8dw3F5I9OZfA

ii) cover the layer with the sugar and salt mix (it is okay if not all of the strips are completely covered), repeat until containers are full. With the containers we use, we get four to five layers of salmon in.
y_D0xhiRyt2wyodpsSWrcL2oEKV5frP8gBXawWUr-dGa3EkPV1bV6gu5XcNegx4r1a5YdQUiSA5IZXZCYGWLxZQv_1M4lDz6q6M0nlWSd1b0dBR0qHnX-Qh-GBIJDLHMoA
JS_8WZ2wkcFCIoFjHx1iDK834A69HZ4U9G1G7FXu3JK9BgoKI9JkfLw_2nXNtzsxHeNspa0yHFVkgKACrv8wtoC6HiQ2qknPteIxtfMiF2twdi90h-cWS_U8DIkM26gzdw

iii) place full containers in the fridge (or a cool place such as a garage) for somewhere near 24 hours
iv) about half way through the marinating process turn the containers upside down to help ensure that the top layer of salmon also gets a good soak. I have learned to do this in the bath tub, because the watertight containers do leak a bit! This means that the salmon is no longer in the fridge, but I return it to the fridge after about 3 hours - right side up again.

8) use a rack oriented normally, and then put another rack on top of it but upside down. This doubles the capacity of the smoker. We bought an extra four racks for the smoker. These new racks have a smaller mesh size so I use them as the bottom rack - see picture.

Q_6tFvK95IzjxgfTgDYpzvVtE1RYGELyncwmKQ2zwnW-zzK9PBcfM_ICQ_IcVQnYWhHZTFv3J0MHjNTQhHMAfzSjA6I6tLGoWvMjt4L6jv8__L1dBn_4G9GIq75U4_6XVw

QL3z6_ovv-CmCtFWTG8GEX1IpAW08Hgn4sOaWANzBUDioQPlR9V2VnQJ_agliJJkhFR7BOzWRdrb2xKpfn6jSh7X5AcRhVvjtRc1UEK8sQLpdNI5h1FVyqabcHP7ltPS8A

9) transfer the strips from the marinade to the racks
i) I consider 3 common steps to not be worth the time to do: draining the liquid from the containers, rinsing the very few strips that are encrusted in salt, and drying the strips prior to smoking them
ii) grab a double handful of salmon strips then place them on the rack
iii) place strips on racks so that there is a small gap between each strip
iv) this recipe will fill 8 trays, which will have to be stacked in pairs to get 4 stacks

AV9R26sCWfzJYLx82L_fpp_x6u7C6lbT407WFDru8ACf6-HF1jbFXfQgj7M7kBlGKmot9YX6FZMDYa_C6geIDBMuUgSnGaXNVAZpKffA35sRb11qUmMkamGl3XdfMyjCig

10) smoking - FINALLY!
i) smoke only for 2 hours @ 120ish
ii) keep the strips in the smoker, without smoke for 2 to 3 hours cook @ 150ish; the reason for the variability is personal taste, ambient temp, etc.
iii) with the Bradley digital smoker I have found that it is necessary to add 20 degrees to the temperatures in the 2 steps above.

kFYAAjCD0vo8UjUC3QDJOwhPQt11M3xNqr6KWvIUQVTkskhke-coo9M3qORI2hsWJgUSyUEW683b84ksq1vUVhgxC_KpEr6YgCmlO1fo2-ReKAdzlXyRY_g1a1SLQntuXg

W1FIvCBMFH2GnRQIKhY5sPGIQ0BxSwiukKU_tHO2MIjZ5KLrnGPvu8pcUV6_HLUW-AiQyVdidEzy_aPyMBpjtpWnTufxCPgwDEVneH_pPsK4Ige6Cm0ayyPQPYG6ZbDQvg

Notes:
a) I clean my smoker with a power washer not using soap
b) all times based on ambient temp of 5-10 celsius
c) put thicker chunks of fish nearer bottom rear of smoker – it is hottest there
d) I rotate the top racks to the bottom and turn each rack a half turn at the halfway point in the cooking stage; the thought being that this helps even the heat application and results in a more uniform product.
e) this process is the fastest and easiest that I have come up with, it tastes excellent, and there is enough variety in the final products that everyone can have some of what they like. Some like it more dry, some like it more moist.
f) if you vacuum bag the product in the 8” wide rolls, and make each bag 8” long, you will get 8 to 10 bags out of this batch, depending on how much you pack in each bag.
g) if you are seeing the fat on the surface of the chunks, consider keeping cooking them for a while longer. This fat doesn’t affect the taste or texture at all.
h) this recipe transfers well to tuna! It takes 10 average Albacore loins to make enough strips for the recipe. I have noticed that tuna seems to absorb the sweetness much more readily than salmon and so am experimenting with less brine altogether when candying tuna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recipe, appreciate you sharing your experience. I have a question though. Don't you need to dry the Salmon and get it to room temperature before putting in a smoker? It looks like your pieces went into the smoker cold and you got some fat bubbling to the surface as a result. Maybe I missed this step in your recipe. Sorry if I did. Also, that's a recipe for smoked Salmon, I think there is more to candied Salmon, no?

9) transfer the strips from the marinade to the racks
i) I consider 3 common steps to not be worth the time to do: draining the liquid from the containers, rinsing the very few strips that are encrusted in salt, and drying the strips prior to smoking them

Those are three common steps I'd never want to miss....... Very interesting that you'd leave them out. Can you explain why they are not worth doing.

I dry mine for a full 24 hrs. It's transparent when done. And brush on a honey+maple syrup glaze halfway through the smoking. Other than that very similar. I have a little chief 2 pans of alder 1 of apple

I have to agree with FA on this, the pellicle stage is the most important for the smoke to adhere properly,
but hey that's your recipe and the way you like it, we will all have different methods and personal tastes,
the recipe is almost the same as my dry mix other them I may be a little lighter on the salt

Big Green Machine:
My salmon is usually near room temperature when it enters the smoker. Usually our fridge is too full for 4 large containers to spend 24 hours in, so the containers sit on the floor in our garage, quite cool. As for the fat, salmon have fat in them, when I serve mine or vacuum seal it the presence or absence of fat on the surface makes absolutely no difference to the taste or appearance. This recipe results in a very sweet product. Basting makes little to no difference in my experience. I have experimented with making it even sweeter and the only step that certainly works is to squirt a shot of pancake syrup in each bag just before sealing it.

FA:
I have tried those 3 steps numerous times, and even tried variations of them.
Omitting them makes no difference to the final product.
Omitting them absolutely saves time and is easier.

Hookin' Up:
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one trying a lower salt recipe!

Some people on SFBC are very attached to their recipes and processes, I truly respect that.
My aim in sharing this was to show just how simple it can be.
I am lazy at heart, but love food, so this is the combination of ease and taste that works for me....and everyone I know begs me for product, so I know it works.

I use a very similar recipe and I have reduced the salt, not that much, but a little. I worry about the salmon lasting after you take it out of the freezer. I take packs with me camping and hiking and I think the original reason for the salt was to remove moisture there by preserving it in the absence of preservatives. Obviously the packs that get removed from the freezer just before eating or the ones that never make it to the freezer before getting eaten don't need preserving, however, I wonder how long the packs that do need some preserving will last out of the freezer. Just something I think about but so far I have never gotten sick from it. What are your thoughts on the downfalls of removing salt?

Big Green Machine:
My salmon is usually near room temperature when it enters the smoker. Usaully our fridge is too full for 4 large containers to spend 24 hours in, so the containers sit on the floor in our garage, quite cool. As for the fat, salmon have fat in them, when I serve mine or vacuum seal it the presence or absence of fat on the surface makes absolutely no difference to the taste or appearance. This recipe results in a very sweet product. Basting makes little to no difference in my experience. I have experimented with making it even sweeter and the only step that certainly works is to squirt a shot of pancake syrup in each bag just before sealing it.

FA:
I have tried those 3 steps numerous times, and even tried variations of them.
Omitting them makes no difference to the final product.
Omitting them absolutely saves time and is easier.

Hookin' Up:
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one trying a lower salt recipe!

Some people on SFBC are very attached to their recipes and processes, I truly respect that.
My aim is sharing this was to show just how simple it can be.
I am lazy at heart, but love food, so this is the combination of ease and taste that works for me....and everyone I know begs me for product, so I know it works.

Yes, something to consider for sure. You are right cooking is both a science and an art!

I look at your before and after photos of the candied salmon, and when I made it the last time mine came out almost the same colour as your Before pics. Nice deep colour with glaze. Your after pics look more like my regular smoked salmon. That is all.

Smiley, great presentation. I can see that you put a lot of time and effort into it.
Will be trying your recipe out soon. Thanks, ......BB

BGM, you are correct in questioning the appearance of my final product, my after pictures were taken in poor light. I will take some new pictures of today's batch.

thawk: I am not a food scientist but do believe that the salt is the secondary source of preservation here, freezing is probably the primary source.

BB: thanks and good luck!

Note that my cutting then skinning sequence really annoyed me yesterday, so today I am going to try skinning then putting the fillets aside rinsed clean, THEN cut them. Should be quicker and easier since it takes a real familiarity with your knife to cut completely through the meat but NOT through the skin.

I use a very similar recipe and I have reduced the salt, not that much, but a little. I worry about the salmon lasting after you take it out of the freezer. I take packs with me camping and hiking and I think the original reason for the salt was to remove moisture there by preserving it in the absence of preservatives. Obviously the packs that get removed from the freezer just before eating or the ones that never make it to the freezer before getting eaten don't need preserving, however, I wonder how long the packs that do need some preserving will last out of the freezer. Just something I think about but so far I have never gotten sick from it. What are your thoughts on the downfalls of removing salt?

sugar in itself is a preservative as well as salt. I think some people forget that...

from wikipedia
"The earliest cultures have used sugar as a preservative, and it was commonplace to store fruit in honey. Similar to pickled foods, sugar cane was brought to Europe through the trade routes. In northern climates without sufficient sun to dry foods, preserves are made by heating the fruit with sugar.[2] "Sugar tends to draw water from the microbes (plasmolysis). This process leaves the microbial cells dehydrated, thus killing them. In this way, the food will remain safe from microbial spoilage."[3

also, heat kills microbes, and chemicals found in the smoke -- including formaldehyde and alcohols -- act as preservatives, and the food dries out so there is less moist area for bacteria to grow.

it is pretty close to my recipe I found on here but I use kosher salt and also I rinse the dry-brine off and allow 3 hours to air-dry before going into the smoker.., Also the propane smoker run a quite a bit higher temps then the big/little chief models I use. You might want to try basting it half way thru with rum/honey/maple syrup mixture, it really enhances the flavor and makes for a better product I find015.jpg027.jpg, I have only smoke 4 times since getting my smoker but with some tips I learned on this SFBC forum I think my smoked salmon has turned out pretty good IMO..

Thanks for the great post smiley, very similar to what I use as well, was curious how it worked for the tuna.

I agree with Tim from Hooking Up however, letting the chunks dry up is the ticket in my opinion as well.

Thanks again for taking the time.

reposted, with changes to skinning process, and better picture of final product

Back