Sockeye in Port Alberni

C

chickakoo

Hello all coming to the Island in the beging of July and can't wait.Went out fishing for salmon for my first time last year out of Port Alberni for sockeye, and i'm very excited to go again. Is it true that there will be no sockeye fishing this year? If not we will be staying near Cambell River and is the fishing good there in July ? Any other idea's would be greatly apprciated, and good luck fishing to all this year.

The Jury is still out as to whether sports fishers will be able to retain sockeye in the Inlet this year or not. Those discussions are still underway, and no final decision has been made yet. The only decision that has been noted is that due to the low projected run number, there will be no commercial fisheries targetting on sockeye here this season (about bloody time!!) FN and Recreational fisheries are yet to be determined. While I ain't holding my breath, there is still some room for hope.

Final note: I believe we all understand why this stock is today facing plummetting numbers. And while we, sporties, are certainly the last to figure in that particular equation, rest assured we are the most likely be taking the hit. After all, of the two left standing, we ARE the only ones They can control. Sad but true...

Nog

Any suggetions on were else to go fishing in early July.

Well if you are into P.A. you could always fish Barkley Sound or make your way to Poett Nook or Bamfield.

Back