So are u going out and catch and releasing

Not happy about the closure but took my boys (5 & 6 years old) out the other week and had an amazing time. There's no pressure to get a fish in the cooler so it was all about them and the experience. I still just love the anticipation of a hit and the thrill of the play, seeing the fish in all its glory and then watching it swim away to face its next battle.

Nice to be the only boat out, and being fairly new good chance to test my gear and presentations. Plus I still have a freezer full of pre-closure Chinook and venison
I don’t have any left in my freezer..... used up the final fillet just last week. I think 6 or 7 fish last year for me and my fiancé.

Bamfield in two weeks to help replenish my supply hopefully!

I still feel sick about it. Sold the boat for now. I will likely hire a quide here and there. Take the family camping.
I bought this as new hobby.
No catch and release for sure lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_185313_131.jpg
    IMG_20190420_185313_131.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 86
I'm sure they'd prefer to let their guests keep a fish, but they have to work within the rules they are given. Being a cry baby about it leads no where. Good for them for making the best of it.

I'm sure they'd prefer to let their guests keep a fish, but they have to work within the rules they are given. Being a cry baby about it leads no where. Good for them for making the best of it.

I don’t think people standing up for their way of life or fighting for their abilities to feed their families constitutes being a cry baby. It’s called taking a stand for what’s right.

I don’t think people standing up for their way of life or fighting for their abilities to feed their families constitutes being a cry baby. It’s called taking a stand for what’s right.
That's not whining about the article itself is about. It's about being a whiner. Duh! Nobody with half a brain is defending the closer. Big boys do what they can to fight it, but still do what they can to carry on.

Last edited:
No C&R for me. My boat hasn't left the garage since April. I haven't even bought my licence. No fuel, no bait, no gear. I'm saving thousands. I'm getting back into backpacking and hiking. Not spending a dime. I'm doing my best to collapse the economy.

No C&R for me. My boat hasn't left the garage since April. I haven't even bought my licence. No fuel, no bait, no gear. I'm saving thousands. I'm getting back into backpacking and hiking. Not spending a dime. I'm doing my best to collapse the economy.
OH you didn't hear, adrianna3 ... The Gov't is closing many of the backpacking trails as a measure to save the yellow eyed sap suckers .... Its coming , just wait ! lol (I'm with ya as far
as costs, saving a ton)

Bought a license so I can go out in my buddies boat for Halibut. So far no C&R for me. My marina slip is paid for but my boat is still in land storage. I suspect I will wait till there are some Pinks and a few clipped Ho's off Sooke, but may put it in at some point for some crab fishing and possibly a little C&R.

Last edited:
So I have to say it. I've already stated on here that I'm not into catch and release. I had already signed up for the Galiano derby last week so thought hell why not I'll give it a shot. All four guys on board agreed that we wouldn't do it again. We landed 12 fish in less than three hours and could have just kept going but we all got tired of killing fish. At least 8 were bleeding badly. Netting them to get a measurement sucked. I think the format, as fun and casual as it was created the necessity to net EVERYTHING. They had secret weight categories so you weren't only measuring big fish. They even had categories in the non keeper range. I think they could do better by just saying biggest fish only but maybe that would lead to fudging numbers as it was kind of just the honor system. Everyone had fun and I'm not knocking anyone for doing what's allowed but I would have preferred to gaff release the smaller guys and only measure the couple that I thought were contenders. I think if they did a study on the survival rate of a fish netted and measured it would be horrific.

So I have to say it. I've already stated on here that I'm not into catch and release. I had already signed up for the Galiano derby last week so thought hell why not I'll give it a shot. All four guys on board agreed that we wouldn't do it again. We landed 12 fish in less than three hours and could have just kept going but we all got tired of killing fish. At least 8 were bleeding badly. Netting them to get a measurement sucked. I think the format, as fun and casual as it was created the necessity to net EVERYTHING. They had secret weight categories so you weren't only measuring big fish. They even had categories in the non keeper range. I think they could do better by just saying biggest fish only but maybe that would lead to fudging numbers as it was kind of just the honor system. Everyone had fun and I'm not knocking anyone for doing what's allowed but I would have preferred to gaff release the smaller guys and only measure the couple that I thought were contenders. I think if they did a study on the survival rate of a fish netted and measured it would be horrific.

I think the Vancouver one only does it by large size, so you only hold a fish in a net to be measured if you think its a contender. The caveat to the vancouver one in august is, if you dont think its a contender you can just bonk it and keep it. Only measured fish are released I believe.

I think if they did a study on the survival rate of a fish netted and measured it would be horrific.

They have done some and you are right its higher.

You guys fishing these tourneys have to invest in a fish cradle, way easier on the fish and it holds them straight and still for measuring. We use them for big pike and lake trout out here and they work great. You can hold the fish in the water and get your straight measurement. I put little loop ropes in the middle of mine and I can easily weigh the fish if I want as well with no harm to the fish.

You guys fishing these tourneys have to invest in a fish cradle, way easier on the fish and it holds them straight and still for measuring. We use them for big pike and lake trout out here and they work great. You can hold the fish in the water and get your straight measurement. I put little loop ropes in the middle of mine and I can easily weigh the fish if I want as well with no harm to the fish.
Great thought but we were fishing 20 mile winds and 4' swells

Great thought but we were fishing 20 mile winds and 4' swells

It’s still very easily done you just have to be carefull. We get waves on our lakes as well I’ve been in as rough water out here as I have been out on the coast. Just watch yourself is all.

Guys,, we’ve been fishing catch and release successfully out here for quite a few years now, you just have to adapt.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE, RC! I love to fish, but can't understand why the @@# are people still bothering to reduce salmon survival, purely for sport. And then to add in financial prizes? If you can afford the gas to burn over there, why give a crap about a prize. IF you want to get together with some buddies, and involve boating, go to the Passage Islands near Bowen and pick a beach. Collect all the plastic garbage. Have a beach bbq, tell some stories, and you'll have a great time.

As for the fish cradle idea - better than a net, but try getting a 10lb spring to hold still. They can twist like crazy at the boat, wrenching that hook in a circle around their gums. This isn't helping the fish survival.

It’s still very easily done you just have to be carefull. We get waves on our lakes as well I’ve been in as rough water out here as I have been out on the coast. Just watch yourself is all.

Guys,, we’ve been fishing catch and release successfully out here for quite a few years now, you just have to adapt.
How do you manage "success"? Do you follow the fish for a few hours to see if it's fatigued and swallowed by a seal? Or if it's unable to catch prey due to a lip falling off? You basically have ZERO idea of if the fish survives. No one does.

How do you manage "success"? Do you follow the fish for a few hours to see if it's fatigued and swallowed by a seal? Or if it's unable to catch prey due to a lip falling off? You basically have ZERO idea of if the fish survives. No one does.

By the fact many many of our lakes have went from collapsed fish populations to an abundance of fish. Lakes are a closed system so it either works in that lake or it doesn’t work. I can name a dozen lakes in my area alone that went from collapsed walleye populations to eating themselves out of house and home and all that was done to those lakes was non retention and catch and release fishing. Same goes for my home lake with Lake Trout. It’s essentially a catch and release lake because there is no retention for fish under 75cm which takes for ever for a lake trout to grow to. 25 years ago the lake was almost netted to extinction today you can catch 50 lake trout in a morning ranging from small to 15# of course the 75 are few and far between because they are taken out but there are still plenty in there with fish in the 30-40# range caught every year. All this in a lake that the trout were all but collapsed. Can’t argue with the science and the evidence.

Trust me when I tell you a chinook is nothing to compare to a 15 or 20 pound pike when it comes to going crazy, nothing. We do it all th time with them. The cradle surrounds them and stops them from freaking out.

Other places fish guys, other places have boats and we spend time on the water fishing doesn’t just take place on the west coast you know. Listen, learn and observe you’ll be surprised at the outcome.

Last edited:
Back