So are u going out and catch and releasing

yes but these released fish in this derby are mostly hatchery fish, Where they will be killed for brood stock or killed for ESSR. They are not contributing to population growth.

yes but these released fish in this derby are mostly hatchery fish, Where they will be killed for brood stock or killed for ESSR. They are not contributing to population growth.

Fare enough, trust me I’m not supporting the closure guys I’m just saying that catch and release can be successful and if your going to do it I was just giving some suggestions on how to make it more successful for the fish.

So I have to say it. I've already stated on here that I'm not into catch and release. I had already signed up for the Galiano derby last week so thought hell why not I'll give it a shot. All four guys on board agreed that we wouldn't do it again. We landed 12 fish in less than three hours and could have just kept going but we all got tired of killing fish. At least 8 were bleeding badly. Netting them to get a measurement sucked. I think the format, as fun and casual as it was created the necessity to net EVERYTHING. They had secret weight categories so you weren't only measuring big fish. They even had categories in the non keeper range. I think they could do better by just saying biggest fish only but maybe that would lead to fudging numbers as it was kind of just the honor system. Everyone had fun and I'm not knocking anyone for doing what's allowed but I would have preferred to gaff release the smaller guys and only measure the couple that I thought were contenders. I think if they did a study on the survival rate of a fish netted and measured it would be horrific.

8/12 lethal bleeders? That's bad luck if you were fishing single barbless properly sized. Were you fishing bait/trebles? Were you guys using a soft landing net? They make a big difference for scale loss, knotted nets are indeed brutal.

Proper C&R really isn't as bad as your last experience.

Great thought but we were fishing 20 mile winds and 4' swells

Nobody makes gear allowances for those conditions lol, time to go in.

8/12 lethal bleeders? That's bad luck if you were fishing single barbless properly sized. Were you fishing bait/trebles? Were you guys using a soft landing net? They make a big difference for scale loss, knotted nets are indeed brutal.

Proper C&R really isn't as bad as your last experience.

Nobody makes gear allowances for those conditions lol, time to go in.
Single giant (never barbed) hooks on hoochies. $150 catch and release net.

A "Giant" single hook will do that. Maybe try a 2/0-3/0 octopus hook spaced back on some beads. You need to make gear modifications to do pure C&R. Thanks for stopping fishing. Better yet tail fish or release them at the side of the boat if you can.

A very common misconception is that a large single hook is best for c n r. It is not. The long point will tongue and eyeball hook fish, resulting in way worse outcomes. Best bet is small single hooks. Do not net the fish. Tail it, use extra long nose pliers and, wait until it can swim out of your hands.

Back from hunting/Fishing trip North Island mainland side. Added a pic to answer the post. Found a few real large girls, not salmon but no doubt way over the legal size, dwarfed my legal marker, skirt is a 12" so no idea how big that one was. Was a great trip, no bears died as not that I liked, scenery, weather, currents and company was outstanding. Did change normal area due to the rock fish regs, found it counter productive to jig then have to send them back down. Stuck to sand/gravel bottoms.

Easy to see new salmon rules has had a profound impact on communities, ghost towns, marinas, highway and spots up there vacant. Feel sorry for all who based life on the resource. As SV states above, go fishing guys. Only live once lets not let the antis win more.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 69
Did the first trip under the new world order. Wasn’t sure what to make of it heading out.

Fishing was outstanding, as it has been for the last several years in the lower straight.

Was a little disappointing at the time to not put a fish in the box (especially some of those beauty Chrome hatch jobs).

I have to say I still got the same thrill and am chomping to get out again. Nothing like seeing the rod bounced and hearing a reel scream.

Maybe its not the wild salmon they are protecting .The lack of sport harvesters would allow the invasive salmon in the wild to go undetected.IMG_1357.JPGpic is from an estuary near you.

Back