Smoking Prawns?

Pangaea

I have some prawns I'd like to try to smoke somehow (family needs a change of menu). Has anyone tried this? Hot smoke / cold smoke, or am I crazy? The way I figure it, they're pretty fatty, and smoked oysters and mussels are great, so....

Thanks for any help!

You could try pickling them, similar to pickled herring. I've had them before and they were just like candy.

You could try pickling them, similar to pickled herring. I've had them before and they were just like candy.

If you go to the Bradley Smoker site, I believe they have a recipe for smoking prawns. SS

If you go to the Bradley Smoker site, I believe they have a recipe for smoking prawns. SS

Pickling! Great idea. Thanks Klob.
LC: Yeah, I think you're right, I'm probably confusing fatty and rich-tasting...
SS: Right you are, thanks!

Pickling! Great idea. Thanks Klob.
LC: Yeah, I think you're right, I'm probably confusing fatty and rich-tasting...
SS: Right you are, thanks!

This is a great way to do pickled spots.
I'll let you folks convert the amounts to metric.

Pickled Spot Prawns

For 1 # of boiled and peeled spot prawns:</u>

1 Med. White Onion-french cut
3-4 Bay Leaves-broken into pieces
Layer the above ingredients with pre-boiled and peeled Prawns,then cover with marinade below:

1/4 Cup Salad Oil
1/3 Cup Ketchup
1/3 Cup White Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
2 teaspoons Sugar
1 teaspon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
Dash of Tabasco
Dash of Seasoned Salt

Big Batch Recipe</u>

8# boiled and peeled Spot Prawns
3-4 White Onions-French cut
2 dozen Bay Leaves-broken into pieces
Layer the above ingredients with pre-boiled and peeled Prawns,then cover with marinade below:

2 Cups Salad Oil
2& 2/3 Cups Ketchup
2&2/3 Cups White Vinegar
4t Dry Mustard
1/2 Cups Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Salt
3 T Sugar
Dashes of Tabasco and Seasoned Salt as desired

Whisk all ingredients until well mixed and pour over layers of prawns and onions.

Okay - the pickling thing is just so different I'm going to have to give it a go this afternoon.

Any history on how long it needs to "marinate" before the flavours get picked up? Have you had any around for longer periods of time to know what the shelf life is like - eg do the prawns go mushy in the juice?

Cold smoked would be good too. A light brine and then a couple hours in the smoker on low temp (~120) and they should be great. I'll give it a try and report back.[:p]

Good to eat after about one week. Can't see shelf life would be a problem once you try them, but they should be good for a couple of months.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Okay - the pickling thing is just so different I'm going to have to give it a go this afternoon.

Any history on how long it needs to "marinate" before the flavours get picked up? Have you had any around for longer periods of time to know what the shelf life is like - eg do the prawns go mushy in the juice?

SIR,
Klob has it precisely.
Figure a week in the marinade,refrigerated, for the flavours to develop.
Though they usually don't last as long, I have kept them for several months, again refrigerated. The prawns do not turn mushy in this recipe.

The test batch is marinating away in the fridge!!! Independent recipe confirmation to follow in one week - trick is to try and leave them alone for that long..... :D

Couldn't be any easy to make, 15 minutes start to finish including the prawn peeling time. Liked the fact that all the ingredients were standard stuff that we already had in.

Survey says "Very Good", easy to make, nice flavour, go really nice with crackers but not unique enough for us to be adding them to the line up at the Resort. Not in the "WOW" category but WELL worth making.

Back