Traeger vs. Bradley

Augie

My Bradley smoker broke down on me with three rounds of candied salmon ready to go. I was a bit frustrated as it’s less than a year old. Bradley was awesome though. They’re covering me through their warranty. Not sure what to do; I fired up my Ironwood 620 Traeger. Set it at 165F and put on the super smoke setting. What a pleasant surprise it worked incredibly well.

The first round I used a bowl of ice. But the second and third round there was no ice. I was able to keep the temperatures within 5 degrees of either side of 165F. I easily based the fish. It turned out every bit as good as the Bradley. But what I liked about it the best was the clean up. You can buy the tin cover for the drip plate and bucket. After it was all done I easily discarded them in the trash and the Traeger is ready to go for next time. I find The Bradley’s hard to clean especially after candied salmon.

I am looking forward to having my Bradley back though. Going to try Cold smoking some sockeye into Lox. Can’t keep the temperatures down on the Traeger or least i haven’t found a way to yet. If anyone knows if you can or not? From what I’ve read you need to keep the temperatures at or below 80F. Any advice is appreciated.

Just a few of my thoughts on my experience with my Traeger. Does anyone else use it to smoke fish? Any advice or ideas is appreciated too.

You can buy smoke tubes for the traeger for cold smoking. I've always used the big chief for my salmon until 2 years ago I bought a traeger. It works awesome for smoking so that's all I use for my fish now.

After 3 years of contemplating I finally picked up a traeger last summer and have never been so happy with a purchase. I nickname it the cheat code because you have to try pretty hard to screw something up. Still have my bradley for fish but for everyday cooking/smoking of meat the Traeger gets my full attention

You can buy smoke tubes for the traeger for cold smoking. I've always used the big chief for my salmon until 2 years ago I bought a traeger. It works awesome for smoking so that's all I use for my fish now.
smoke tubes work great for sure. although I'm still trying to get better at smoke ratio/volume

Back