Homemade Bacon, Polish Kielbasa, German Bratwurst, And Pastrami

Chasin' Dreams

Been on a wait list with my friend to get some of his Heritage pork and finally got some. In the past all the bacon i've made I cured then hot smoked but this time i decided to dry brine then cold smoke the bacon and cold smoke the brats too. The Kielbasa is hot smoking. My friend with the pigs swears by cold smoking the bacon rather than hot smoking so i'm eager to give it a try. Just got a small chunk of the belly from him for this experiment. There's curing powder in the dry rub for the bacon and the brats so they are food safe for cold smoking. Bacon is brining for 10 days. This bacon chunk is maple brown sugar thyme apple wood. Will be vac packed then frozen after cold smoking then cooked whichever way we want when consuming them. We eat a lot of brats and i always think they are missing some smoke flavor when frying them, stewing them or BBQ'ing them so thought the cold smoke will help with that.

I usually make pretty standard brats but this time i added some Belgian Whit beer and Habanero cheddar to the mix to kick them up a notch.

Just curious how many of you have done both cold smoked and hot smoked bacon and what were the differences you found?

20210115_213016.jpg

20210115_213034.jpg

20210116_193842.jpg

20210116_193822.jpg

20210116_180630.jpg

20210116_193739.jpg

20210116_193655.jpg

20210116_193717.jpg

20210117_123727.jpg

Last edited:
One of the biggest differences that I have found between cold and hot smoking is the texture and consistency of the bacon. Similar to cold smoked and hot smoked fish (sorta hard to explain) one basically cooked and one not...
Pork fat will begin to render around 130-140. Hot smoking for the most part trying to achieve that 145 IT affects the product for sure...I smoke skin on so that helps with the fat quality when hot smoking.
I also think it crip's up a bit better.
I like both ways of smoking for sure

Smoked brats look good, haven't smoked my brats before....might have to give them a cold shot...

One of the biggest differences that I have found between cold and hot smoking is the texture and consistency of the bacon. Similar to cold smoked and hot smoked fish (sorta hard to explain) one basically cooked and one not...
Pork fat will begin to render around 130-140. Hot smoking for the most part trying to achieve that 145 IT affects the product for sure...I smoke skin on so that helps with the fat quality when hot smoking.
I also think it crip's up a bit better.
I like both ways of smoking for sure

Smoked brats look good, haven't smoked my brats before....might have to give them a cold shot...
Right on thank you for the info. I'm looking forward to how it turns out. I reserved a couple full bellies for after this one so I can do some bigger batches of the cold smoking since it sounds like this will be the way I'll be doing them from now on.

The brats got a really good smoke on them cold smoking for 4 hrs then vac packed and froze them. Gonna try some tonight to see if the smoke flavor carries over after they are cooked. Pastrami went in the smoker this morning. Has been wet brining for 7 days now. Some locally made Havarti and Gouda cheese going in for some cold smoking after the Pastrami.

Right on thank you for the info. I'm looking forward to how it turns out. I reserved a couple full bellies for after this one so I can do some bigger batches of the cold smoking since it sounds like this will be the way I'll be doing them from now on.

The brats got a really good smoke on them cold smoking for 4 hrs then vac packed and froze them. Gonna try some tonight to see if the smoke flavor carries over after they are cooked. Pastrami went in the smoker this morning. Has been wet brining for 7 days now. Some locally made Havarti and Gouda cheese going in for some cold smoking after the Pastrami.
I agree on doing full loads at one time...I usually cure and smoke 20lbs at a time...10 minimum.
Made some back bacon last round and will definitely be throwing at least 10lbs of that into the mix.
Same with sausage...minimum is 10lbs unless making some fresh for dinner then it is 5lbs...totally addicted to making various fresh and smoked sausage.
Hope to have a curing chamber in place in the next few months...then it is game on for salume!

wow that looks great :)
Thanks!

I agree on doing full loads at one time...I usually cure and smoke 20lbs at a time...10 minimum.
Made some back bacon last round and will definitely be throwing at least 10lbs of that into the mix.
Same with sausage...minimum is 10lbs unless making some fresh for dinner then it is 5lbs...totally addicted to making various fresh and smoked sausage.
Hope to have a curing chamber in place in the next few months...then it is game on for salume!
I'm definitely getting addicted to it :) I love trying different combo's of herbs and spices for my sausages. Keeping notes on what our family likes the best. Have been looking into lot's of different sausage types from around the world and have come up with what I think will be some great hybrid recipes from them for my next batch. Asia has some very good looking savory spicy and sweet/spicy ingredients in some of their popular sausage types. I'll be buying a bigger grinder and stuffer too. This attachment to the mixer is just way too small and takes far too long. Has been ok for small family size dinner batches and for experimenting with recipes but no good for big batches. Have also been looking at doing some salami's and prosciutto's too :)

Had a small flat chunk left from the packer brisket so making some pastrami with it. Wet brined for 7 days then rinsed off, dried, then coated with a little sweet dijon mustard to bind the dry rub before going in the smoker. Dry rub spices are cracked black pepper, garlic powder and coriander. Went into the smoker this morning. Will take it out when internal temp is around 155-160 then wrap it in butcher paper then back in the smoker till internal temp is around 205f. Then it will get another layer of butcher paper put on and will go in a cooler overnight to let the temp fall very slowly to hold in moisture. Tomorrow it will get sliced up for pastrami sandwiches.

20210111_133936.jpg

20210118_120122.jpg

20210118_120100.jpg

Thanks!

I'm definitely getting addicted to it :) I love trying different combo's of herbs and spices for my sausages. Keeping notes on what our family likes the best. Have been looking into lot's of different sausage types from around the world and have come up with what I think will be some great hybrid recipes from them for my next batch. Asia has some very good looking savory spicy and sweet/spicy ingredients in some of their popular sausage types. I'll be buying a bigger grinder and stuffer too. This attachment to the mixer is just way too small and takes far too long. Has been ok for small family size dinner batches and for experimenting with recipes but no good for big batches. Have also been looking at doing some salami's and prosciutto's too :)
The books by the Mrianski books are pretty decent for recipes from all over the world...really enjoy the Charcuterie books by Polcyn and Ruhlman...some great recipes that have worked well for us...one of the best books (IMHO) on Charcuterie is by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller called "In the Charcuterie"

The books by the Mrianski books are pretty decent for recipes from all over the world...really enjoy the Charcuterie books by Polcyn and Ruhlman...some great recipes that have worked well for us...one of the best books (IMHO) on Charcuterie is by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller called "In the Charcuterie"
Excellent thank you!

The Pastrami turned out delicious and perfectly tender while still holding its form. Pulled it from the smoker at 208f. Wasnt quite butter tender at 205. Left it wrapped and in a cooler overnight then ate some fried up with some eggs for breakfast then made some delicious Reubens for supper with some homemade cauliflower roasted garlic soup and homemade pickled asparagus on the side. Reubens had Swiss cheese, steamed pastrami, homemade Russian sauce and homemade coleslaw and my homemade picked red onion mix.

20210119_163922.jpg

20210119_163850.jpg

20210119_163752.jpg

20210119_163656.jpg

20210119_185029.jpg

20210119_184923.jpg

20210119_184803.jpg

20210119_185106.jpg20210119_185127.jpg

20210119_184725.jpg

Back