Smokers

X2. Best features are you have separate heat and smoke and it automatically ejects the puck before carcinogens kick I. Can be left for extended periods.

X3. Did 8 racks of fish last week. Made an external burn box for cold smoking. Load up the pucks and go fishing.

x4 i've had mine for 9 years and it's still going strong. You can smoke a whole range of things too. here's a pic of some almonds and cheese, for example.
IMG_0350.jpg

T2

I'm happy with the bradley

I have 2 of the old style, bought both used $100. each, the weather this winter has been the perfect smoking conditions for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 97
The bradely is ok , however the pucks are the real scam...;)

Hey Tsq, I tried to smoke some cheese but it oozed through racks, I guess I could have wrapped it in cheese cloth and turned off the heat...:(

Like the Bradley's but they are simply too small for much of what I do...

Therefore, This:

Smoker_Set_Up.jpg

:cool:
Nog

Nog, what’s with the aluminum container hung from the top ofthe smoker,also is the pan at the bottom for heat/ hot smoking?

If you have a bradley you want to go easy on the pucks for sure, 3 per hour, two hours of smoke is usually pretty good for a batch, the rest is dry time or cook time.

looks good nog,

Nog, what’s with the aluminum container hung from the top ofthe smoker,also is the pan at the bottom for heat/ hot smoking?

The digital unit to the left is used for cold-smoking. The "aluminum" is actually ducting for transferring smoke from the smaller unit to the larger. The main smoker is an old converted fridge. For hot-smoking I use an infinite control hotplate and a cast iron frying pan for the chips. Works Very Well! It has consumed literally hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of product, and has never let me down. Decent capacity (8 screens). Unlikely I'll be switching any time soon, although if I ever win the Lottery, a custom stainless job slightly larger would be sweet! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

The digital unit to the left is used for cold-smoking. The "aluminum" is actually ducting for transferring smoke from the smaller unit to the larger. The main smoker is an old converted fridge. For hot-smoking I use an infinite control hotplate and a cast iron frying pan for the chips. Works Very Well! It has consumed literally hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of product, and has never let me down. Decent capacity (8 screens). Unlikely I'll be switching any time soon, although if I ever win the Lottery, a custom stainless job slightly larger would be sweet! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Nog, I mean the pie plate at the top, near the smoker chimneystack

Nice unit, for research purposes I will need a chunk of the deer summer sausage...;) :D

Sammy--re the cheese--I cold smoke cheese so the box temp never gets over a few degrees above ambient temperature. i use an old little chief box that I insert the Bradley smoke generator into(many people use the box that the bradley comes in) and then connect the little chief box with a chunk of dryer hose like Nog has in his pic--no drippy cheese! Cheese is strange tho, I fnd after it comes out of the smoker i have to vacumn seal it and throw the packs in the back of the fridge for at least a month before it's edible. If you get too impatient and eat it before that it tasts like you're licking an ashtray. with salmon, you can take them out of the smoker and chow down right away--which leads to a great deal of shrinkage! ;)
T2

Sammy--re the cheese--I cold smoke cheese so the box temp never gets over a few degrees above ambient temperature. i use an old little chief box that I insert the Bradley smoke generator into(many people use the box that the bradley comes in) and then connect the little chief box with a chunk of dryer hose like Nog has in his pic--no drippy cheese! Cheese is strange tho, I fnd after it comes out of the smoker i have to vacumn seal it and throw the packs in the back of the fridge for at least a month before it's edible. If you get too impatient and eat it before that it tasts like you're >> licking an ashtray<<. with salmon, you can take them out of the smoker and chow down right away--which leads to a great deal of shrinkage! ;)
T2

copy tanx buddy, I like the Red Barn smoked white cheddar...just not the HIGH PRICE they charge
btw I like my smoked salmon cold, otherwise it reminds me of your ashtray comment.

@ firelight, I fill the tube with 12 - 14 pucks, you neeed a couple of pucks to do the final push...
I like a heavy smoke, triple smoke I call it... 6 pucks would be akin to drinking a half cup of light beer.

If you bradley guys are interested, I have souced a cheaper puck supplier; I will report my findings when I get a load

Nog, I mean the pie plate at the top, near the smoker chimneystack

Ahhh, I see. That is a collector for condensation. Due to the chimney sticking so far out of the roof, there is quite the temperature difference between the smoker's internal temperature and that outside. Between that, and the moisture any given product is putting off (remember, speaking volume here) I tend to get a little amount of "liquid smoke" that collects, and drips off the bottom of the chimney pipe. The pan is suspended on stainless wires, and collects all of that. Works well. Have a Buddy who has me save that stuff for him, and actually uses it as "liquid smoke". Not for me since I have the real thing...

Nice unit, for research purposes I will need a chunk of the deer summer sausage...;) :D

As soon as you shoot a deer and drag it over (cleaned and skinned of course) we can chat... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

If you have a bradley you want to go easy on the pucks for sure, 3 per hour, two hours of smoke is usually pretty good for a batch, the rest is dry time or cook time.

looks good nog,

Absolutely agree that you have to go easy on the pucks. No more than 6 pucks works for me. Any more tends to ruin the taste. Love my Digital 6 rack Bradley. Also have a big green egg that I will be experimenting with once I get the Cyber Q temperature controller. Everything I have smoked or cooked on the BGE has been awesome!

I use a pair of true north smokers. My "secret" is a thermometer gun that was on sale at princess auto. For cold smoking I just leave the doors fairly wide open and I adjust the temperature by adjusting the gap in the door. I use my own raw alder and maple wood that I cure and it works just fine. I hate buying wood chips and the pucks are really pricy. those auto smokers are nice and fancy tho. I just think I have found a way around that. i was never really good at cold smoking until I purchased the thermometer gun.

For the temp thing I use a cheapo wireless BBQ unit, I can leave the smoker in the yard and see the temps from the couch.

Back