Smoked Cod or Snapper

likwit

Hey everyone...

I got some white fleshed fish from the summer (cod, snapper, rockfish) that i'm thinking should be used sooner than later.

Anyone ever smoked any ling, snapper, rockfish before?

How'd it turn out?

Soy brown sugar combo? Other recipes or suggestions?

cheers

likwit

Turns out great.... I quite liked it... Same brine as salmon!

Your in the ballpark likwit: A little heavier on the demerara then the salt. Use garlic, ginger and soy.;) eman

I tried it with hali and cod once and only once it tends to DRY out very fast as the oil content is not the same as in salmon.
If you are going to do it just watch it close and take it off fast and you will be fine I didnt and I could have ate some sawdust instead and had the same results LOL LOL

If your salmon takes 6 hours go maybe 4 and see how that is.

Good luck Wolf

lets us know how it goes.

i tried some hali in recently - just mixed it in with the salmon and it came out very very salty. i wouln't do it again

Last Chance's Patented "Make anything taste good smoked technique"

I've used this on hali,. which, like Wolf says, will dry out.

Mix 50/50 China Lilly Soy sauce and Teryaki Sauce (Must be China Lilly Soy). Marinade for 2 days.

Put in smoker untill surface dry. Then brush with Teryaki sauce, wait untill very tacky (It wojn't dry). Brush again, repeat untill 4 coats is done. The last coat should get a brief sprinkling of crushed chilli's. To die for. Best when the fish is cut in 1"x1" strips. You'll know you have it right when you leave your rubbermaid container out by the fuel dock, and you go to move your boat back to the slip after 30 minutes, and it is all gone.

Wow LC, that sounds really good. Got some leftover pinks in the freezer, soon to thaw and smoke, that's the one I'll try.

For smoking alternatives, after a trip to Swiftsure we had several salmon types, spring, coho, and sockeye, plus black cod, halibut, red snapper. For an experiment, I tried smoking some of each.

As Wolf said, halibut dries out and has no fat, it was completely inedible sawdust. For the salmon, I recall the sockeye as being good, coho pretty good, but the spring didn't turn out as well for some reason.

But the best, by far, was the black cod (sablefish)...totally blown away by how great it was, one small filet was not enough.

Moral of the story...keep those a few of those "off-catches" when chasing halibut!

Back