Smoked Halibut/Ling

I haven't used wet brines in 25 years. I'm pretty much strictly a dry brine guy, but in this case I'm thinking you'd want to use a wet brine. From what I have read I think shorter brine and smoke times are better as well for Hali. With halibut's lower fat content you don't want it to dry out and become like shoe leather.

I just found this recipe on an American smoking forum. This is not my recipe, and I have not tested it out. It was used for Pacific true cod. It caught my eye because it uses some very unusual ingredients. I don't know if Yoshidas sauce can be found in Canada. Yoshidas sauce is similar to soy sauce, but with a much lower salt content. Personally I would cut the salt content in half , (or half the brine time) or it would be to salty for my liking. I use 1 kilo of sugar to 7/8 cup salt for my brines at 36-48 hours. I also cold smoke, whereas this recipe is intended for hot smoking. Hot or cold smoking is really just a matter of personal preference. A lot of American smokers seem to prefer hot smoking, but that may be because higher ambient temperatures in the southern States makes cold smoking difficult. If someone is brave enough to try out this brine please report on how it works out. There are very few brine recipes posted online for cod, ling, or hali. It's hard to gauge how well they work because there is very little info and feedback online for smoking these species.

Smoked Cod Brine Recipe

Brine:

1 gallon water

1.5 cups course ground sea salt (non-iodized)

2 pounds dark brown sugar

1 capful pure vanilla

1 cup Yoshida gourmet sauce

½ cup pure maple syrup

¼ cup balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

3 DASHES tobasco

Brine 36 hours, rinse, dry with paper towels

Smoke 2 hours at 125 – 130 F

Increase temp to 175 – 180F for 2 more hours

Freeze before vacuum packing

@IronNoggin this was at your house I ate that. Seriously, the best smoked anything I ever ate.

LOL! I remembered that which was why I "Liked" your post. Stuff certainly was Great!
I have the recipe somewhere - long & complicated, but well worth it.
See if I can dig it up in the next day or two...

Cheers,
Nog

Back