Smoked Venison Polish / Garlic Coils

IronNoggin

Been thinking about trying a run of Polish type Garlic Coils for 3 years now, but didn't have the guts to potentially ruin a whack of good meat. Last couple of weeks, I've been investigating a lot of recipes, toying again with this same idea. Yesterday my Partner suggested we should try it if I wanted to that much. So, off I went out to Hertel's Meats, to have a lengthy chat with their Main Man in this regard. He had a lot of sound advice, and between the two of us we came up with a recipe to try.

Rather fussy recipe, and tricky to shoot (STICKY to the Extreme!), but we persevered, and ran the links off in about an hour (usually takes us less than half that for a similar 20lb batch). Partner wandered off as I heated up the smoker, at ~ 10:00pm! By 11:00, the smoker was sufficiently preheated, so in they went. Took until almost 6:00am (loooong night) for them to finish to my specifications, then into the cold water bath, and hung for "blooming". Up at 11:30 am to the most wonderful smelling house! Couldn't help myself, so cut a nibble to drown with the morning's coffee...

In a word: BRILLIANT! Haven't had anything from the butcher I've liked quite so much, so thought I'd share...

VenisonPolishGarlicCoils.jpg

Smoked Venison Polish Garlic Sausage Recipe

10 lbs. lean elk or venison
10 lbs. fatty pork hind

6 cups Ice Water
2 cups Skim Milk Powder
6 tbsp. Salt
4 tbsp. Demerra Sugar
4.5 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 1
4 tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
5 tblsp. Minced Garlic
3 tblsp. Granulated Garlic
4 heaping tsp. Marjoram
3 tblsp. Paprika
4 tblsp. Parsley Flakes
1 5" x 6" bag Mustard Seed (smaller bulk replacement bag)

Chill all meat and grind through 1/4” or 3/16” grinder plate.
Mix all spices with water well and let sit.
Place all meat into tub and mix well adding mustard seed.
Mix spice/water combination well again, and pour over meat.
Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Run through stuffer and use 35-38mm hog casings for stuffing.
Let sausage dry at room temperature for about an hour after stuffing.
Move to smokehouse preheated to 120 degrees F. and leave dampers wide open.
Sausage will dry more for about another hour or so.
After this period, gradually adjust smoker to 160-170 degrees F. with dampers open.
Allow product to smoke until the internal temperature reaches 152 degrees F. (CRITICAL!!)
Remove from Smoker, and immediately drown in Ice Water bath to cool completely through.
Hang at room temperature for several hours to "bloom".

The mix is very sticky as noted, so a large bowl of ice water right handy helps with keeping your hands free of stickiness and feeding through the machine.
We tied them off in about 20" lengths, can be almost any reasonable length.

This product will last more than a few days in the fridge. I will be keeping one out for instant consumption, and vacuum sealing / freezing the balance for future reference.

Turned out Better Than Expected! Don't think I've ever bought any quite this Good!
BEERCHUG.gif

If you're into Polish Garlic Coils, give this one a try! I am certain you won't be disappointed!!

Bon Appetite!!

Cheers,
Nog

tryin the blacktail tonight! let u know...

Thanks Nog! That looks like a keeper. I am low on deer so I am going to try a half batch.
What kind of wood did you use?

Hey Matt, you always use the 50/50 mix?
I have been going with the reccomended 20% Pork, but if you are having results with the 50%, I'll give her a go.
I usually make a qt. sealer of Garlic water every month or so, whenever I find Garlic cloves on sale at Save On., it's great to have on hand!

Hey Matt, you always use the 50/50 mix?

aYup. We tried a lesser ratio when we first started doing this 4 or 5 years ago, but found the sausages turned out too dry for our tastes. So, now we run every recipe at 50/50. Makes them good & moist!
Also we use entire hinds (the el-cheapos that go on sale here very spring) and the fat content is likely ~ 15 - 20% in those once we've rendered them down. Could likely get away with a little less pork if using the standard 50/50 commercial blend, or running a higher fat content... But, I'm happy with what are doing now, so don't reallly want to change anything.

I usually make a qt. sealer of Garlic water every month or so, whenever I find Garlic cloves on sale at Save On.

Excellent Idea!! :)

One of The Ladz boils down the bones and a little trim, and uses the broth (chilled obviously) to replace the water. Imparts a very nice flavor!

Just gotta love the sausage thing! So many recipes out there, methinks one would need a moose or two to even get 1/10th of the way through experimenting!!
Hoping for an Elk or Moose LEH this year!!
1.gif

Cheers,
Nog

We had 3 Cow Elk and 2 Cow Moose draws this season!
Got 1 wht tail Doe!!!! She was old and dry, so we have been turning the whole thing into sausage, Pepperoni and jerky! I used a kit from Cabelas for the Pepperoni, comes with the right size casings and spices, I did 30 lbs, got about half that left now!
I also buy the hinds, cost about $50.00 a piece, I then start boning and grinding everything. I place it all in MARKED 2lb. packages, then when I feel like doing some up. it's just a matter of taking out the appropriate number of bags of whatever I am making, to extend the Venison, I will sometimes buy the LEAN ground beefthat comes on sale for $10.00 a tub, mix 1lb. beef, 3lbs, venison and 1lb. of the ground pork, it works out to about 10 - 12 % fat. It does seem a little dry, will be trying the 50/50 recipe this week!
I LOVE Butcher & Packers Supply in Edmonton, I can spend as much time shopping there as I do in a Sporting goods store!

2013 Update:

We've come a fair ways since we started out with this recipe. Now up to 50 coils (about a pound a coil) at a shot!

We kept the original recipe basically intact, but did add the following:
- 4 tblspn Onion Powder
- 2 tblspn Dry Mustard
The onion addition is subtle, and the mustard gives it just a little more Tang.

This is what I wake up to every second or third morning of late:

Garlic_Coil_Meat.jpg

aYup, that would be three bags of venison and three bags of pork grind nearly thawed out... IN THE BATH-TUB! LOL!
Good thing we have a spare in the Dungeon! Methinks The Missuz might kibosh the whole idea were that to appear in HER bathroom!!

A few hours of effort later, Fifty coils hanging to dry before hitting the smoker:

Garlic_50_Coils.jpg

And just after they darken a little and are dry to the touch, into the Big Box:

Garlic_Coils_Smoke.jpg

Another batch just winding it's way towards the finish line now. Absolutely DEADLY again this year! One more run of these, then onto some different Experiments In Terror!!
lmao.gif

Certainly keeping The Hacienda smelling downright Wonderful again!!

Cheers,
Nog

Have you experimanted with pepperoni yet Nog as thats really my favorite and where did you find that cure stuff?? been looking here in vic with not alot of luck even tryied the drug store .

Wolf

I'm kind of unusual that way Wolf in that I don't overly care for Pepperoni too much myself. Have made a couple variations of it, and did find one based on Spicy Mesquite I did like though. Gotta get through another batch of this stuff, then a run of Country, then Double Maple Cured breakfast sausage and then want to take on a batch of Summer Sausage for the first time this year (currently hunting recipes on that...) Collecting a Lamb next weekend, as little as possible of it into sausage obviously, but some. IF there is anything left over at that point, maybe on the pepp's...

We get the Prague Powder Cure right here out at Hertel's. Bought enough last year to finish out both then and the full go this time around - lasts basically forever methinks. They have proven to be a VERY Valuable Asset for us over the years! Good Prices, and right free with the information and advise! If you're stuck for the stuff, shoot me a PM. I can pick it up and get it to you on the bus the next day...

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Nog yes i had a little tiny bit left from a bud to do a batch so i made up a homemade mix for making pepperoni, smoking it today!!!! so ill see how it goes and yes ill take you up on the offer ,,,guess i need to come up for a night of F&R soon hows the steel anyways???

Thanks Wolf

... hows the steel anyways???

Suffice it to say: Not worth the drive as of yet.
The predicted rains didn't do much after all, and so damn few wandered in. Not a lot about as the river remains low 'n fairly cold. Really need a GOOD Shot of sky-water to turn that around methinks...
Damn good thing I've got so much on my hands to keep my mind off it!

I'll be wandering out to Hertel's likely Friday as we're (finally) starting to run low on hog casings. Good deals on them out there too! Shoot me a pm and let me know how much cure you need and I'll latch onto it then.

Cheers,
Nog

Back