Smelts

otter

Past weekend I experienced smelt netting, Port Renfrew. Delicious,however I thought at the time, bait for Salmon fishing? Anyfeedback as to this possibility? Very similar to a herring I thought and would look good in a teaser head.

I tried to do it but they are so soft and when I brined them up they went flat as a pancake so they woundnt turn very well in the teaser head just keep them for eating.

Good luck Wolf

I all so tried them in anchovie heads, way to soft... by the way, how did you make out smelt fishing? Which side of the bay where you fishing? I was up there 4 weekends ago, 4 smelt nets down all day long not one smelt!.... Glad to hear the smelt are showing up! How many buckets did you get?

I was up to Rennie on Mon-Thurs last week. The smelters were getting half a bucket when I checked to see how they were doing. Much better than earlier reports.
T2

Sandy beach reservation camp ground. I was there for two sets,3hrs app. Ebb tide, 1/2 small bucket, 2nd less then that. All new to me.

Glad to hear the smelt are starting to show up, however it sounds very slow still. Their unusually very late this year. I will be up there again in August for some smelt.

Otter- When the smelt are running hard,(best time to fish them is at the top end of the high tide) you will some times get anchoive and herring mixed in with your catch!! Those are worth saving for salmon bait. Keep an eye out for them! Once in awhile, not very often, you will get a big spring salmon get caoght up in the net, splashing about, run out there, tangle him up more in the net and bring him ashore [:0]

When I was a small kid 30 years ago, running on the beach chassing the waves while the elders were smelt fishing with dip nets!! yes dip nets!! No one used gill nets to catch smelt! The smelt were so plentifull, they used these 4'x4' hand held dip nets, when the surf wave was coming in they would run out and dip the net into the bottom of the wave that would break on top of the net and the smelt in the surf would crash into the net!.. I remember they would fill buckets and buckets of smelt just with dip nets.. now we have to use gill nets to catch a small handfull of smelt ! .. its sad to see now what it used to be only 30 years ago [V]

Any one know how the smelt fishing has been on the beach at Port Renfew as of late? I was up there a month ago and we got nothing with three smelt nets down all day long.. Trying to find out if the smelt have arrived yet? any reports or info, greatly appreciated!

Back