Slot Limit Extended for Areas 19 & 20!!

Well, I'm suprised that no one has brought up the clipping of fish issue. It's a doubley ridiculous regulation to allow only hatchery clipped fish when we only clip 10-15% of the fish!

In the perfect world you can give millions and millions of money to a hatchery but it would be all for not if DFO doesnt want you to fish. Your missing the point the have to be accounted for and the only way thats going to happen is if you sue the bastaerds.ve been saying this close to 5 yrs now and nobody seems to ge it.

They dont care its obvious they have completly screwed this up they say they "want" to work with us and then do the opposite of what we ask as we are the one "out there" in the field they are not anyone with half a brain would know by the the time june rolls around those hatchery fish are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DUH....

so you go out fishing off of sooke catch a 25 lb which is gill hooked and we toss it back the chance of that thing living hhhhhhmmmm 0% what good does that do. This is and will not be good to go out and catch and release way more will die and anything that does live will be scooped up in FN nets

YEP really intelligent 34% for FN and 1.2 % for jaun de fuca can you not see where the problem is????holy ***

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Poppa Swiss I think you are on the right track.
The following is my opinion. It is time we looked at sports fishing differently, it is not about winning huge cash prizes in derbies or filling your freezer or taking pictures of dead fish to prove what a great fisherman you are. It should be about the experience. We can still retain some fish to eat but we should also practice conservation and release wild and hatchery fish. Hatchery fish are also important.
In these uncertain times all summer derbies should be canceled. Individual anglers and sponsors could make contributions to Salmon Enhancement. I do not understand the logic of killing fish in order to raise money. Derbies put an increased pressure on the Chinook present that day, more guys go fishing and stay out for extended hours than if they went fishing for fun. What is the ratio between the huge cash prizes and the donation to Salmon Enhancement?

jandj2; you have obviously NO idea what you are talking about! May I ask you how much YOU have contributed in the recent past compared to the salmon you have taken?
Here is a calculation based on Deewar's numbers for the Consultants Derby: past 2 years 40 chinooks taken, assume that's 50% more than would have been caught during a non-derby day by the participants. That leaves 20 chinooks for $22,500 donation over that period. That is $1,125 cash donation for each extra killed chinook. And by the way NO cash prize in this derby. So, you want to show me any other initiative that has come close to this ratio? Please! Now, you go and do YOUR part and when you get to half this ratio then please come back and give us advice on how it's done.

Seems to me that a lottery could do the same thing for raising money for the hatchery without impacting stocks. Would certainly take the skill factor and bragging rights away. But, would also remove the cheating factor as well.

I used to enter a large payout derby in the Vancouver area in years past. Went to weigh in a couple fish and saw the leaders at weigh station. I knew immediately that the two leaders weren't from the Vancouver area at that time of year. Read in the paper six months later that the first two winners were disqualified and the cheaters were charged with fraud.

Prize money could fuel the ticket sales just as well as a real derby. Without the organizational headaches, or the potential for terrible weather spoiling the event.

Just a thought.

You guys are off track this has nothing to do with a derby its about the piece of the pie (fish) and whats happening why the numbers are not coming back!!!!you can let the hatchery produce as many fish as you want but when there habitat is destroyed they cant live.... and also you cant just have a hatchery fish you need wild stock to counter balance the system or it gets skewed.

The piece of pie is mostly given to FN and they are allowed to take what they want when they swim past us off of vic/sooke/nan its a big fricken ocean out there not a narrow river. They have a chance when they get to a river and there is a net strung from one side to the other side how many escape???? NOT alot thats where there going.

Not to point the finger but thies are the facts we take so little its not even close to the amount that is taken from the river but we are the ones being blamed hhhhhhhmmmm sounds like its racial and discrimatory to me us being

"THE WHITEMAN!!!!!"</u>

btw chris and dewaar your bang on!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Amen Wolf, amen

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by smiley66
Chris has a good pint though I would like to see members on this forum unite, and form an annual fundraiser every year for enhancement. It could be posssible.....
Smiley66

I agree completely. [8D] Either just through this forum or even try and get some of the others pooled in to raise some $$$$ for the fishies. May be well worthwhile to put start a new thread with some brainstorming of ideas.

We dont need money for enhancement we need money to fight DFO why do you think we pay the conservation fund????out of all that money BC sportfisherman pay into that at $6.42 We get a whopping BUCK back to BC WOW isnt that just a fine slap in the face.

I would personally pay way more money if I KNEW that it was going to stay here in our province thats what pi$$es me off the most we got someone in ottawa who has never fished in BC making decisions on our fishery, I have to give FN credit they have figured it out they are less then 5% of the voting public but they protest anc complain going tru the proper channels and look what there getting billions of $$$$$$$$ in land claims and access to selling taking fish with no fines etc. Cuae everytime it does come down they scream they play the race card and get away with it!!!!!!!!!

Time for us to do the same dont you think??????
Who puts the most money into our fish???? its you and I the sportfisherman this isnt rocket science........

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Oops dbl post?.... but deleted the first one [?]

:D

No point in blowing a lid big guy! :D
I think the most of us agree with you ....... [V]
We can make the province hear us with a hearing aid.....and another group that the feds cant say no to....

FN have figured out one thing and are out smarting our reps. They play the advocates of the salmon while fishing low key in the background. We get all hot, loose focus and come off as a bunch of red necks just wanting to go out and catch the few remaining fish. We need to get organized outside of SFAB and use our smarts to not only restore our fisheries, but most importantly to restore fish. We accuse DFO of not having a plan...well guess what, neither do we. Status quo won't cut it.
I was talking to another guide the other night about an idea I have for a media campaign to get our message out and have the public become interested and informed. A weekly cartoon about a family of peanut headed killer whales....yes people always look for a good laugh, so cartoons get read. Whales also get peoples attention. These whales would teach the public through humour about the real issues by way of simple story lines that a child could understand. Story lines that have come to kind so far, the family of BC whales trying to get refuge status in the US as they are mistreated and starved in Canada, they want to move to the US because they are rebuilding salmon runs. A captive family member in the US is informed he is to be set free, in fact will be sent home and let go in BC waters, he requests to stay in captivity. The family going on a vacation up the Fraser River to see where salmon spawn, only to get caught up in all the FN gill nets. The family mother trying to convince her young ones that veterinarian food is ok, mother and father chewing on bull kelp, kids having nothing to do with it. Whale family starts a save the salmon rally, only 1 person in the crowd, save the whales rally, 2 people in the crowd, junior asks why is nobody coming to their rally, across the street is a Future Shop with signs..SAVE, SAVE SAVE..huge lineups of people waiting to get in!! A family member dies and they want to get a nice burial plot..after an autopsy is performed the family are informed that a finally resting place has been picked...a toxic waste dump!! I have a bunch more more...just need someone to draw them and write in the humour. You can make this cartoon tell any story you want..it will be read and the message will be understood.
Just an idea, we need more of them!!!!

How many of those unclipped Chinooks (30% according to Nog) are those Fraser fish that you guys can't fish for?

quote:Originally posted by Fishtofino

How many of those unclipped Chinooks (30% according to Nog) are those Fraser fish that you guys can't fish for?
With the American wilds swimming through right now (yes they are not all hatchery) I would hazard a guess and say not too many [V]

Awesome idea profisher. I would love to help out but my drawing skills won't be good enough for this.

Thanks Chris..how about the Orca family attends a SFAB meeting and asks DFO staff in attendance, can we eat Chinook over 67Cm in Sooke. Told oh no, your priority access to the resource is below FN's fisheries. Its funny but almost true!!!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Thanks Chris..how about the Orca family attends a SFAB meeting and asks DFO staff in attendance, can we eat Chinook over 67Cm in Sooke. Told oh no, your priority access to the resource is below FN's fisheries. Its funny but almost true!!!

LOl .....REALLY like the whole cartoon concept Profisher. Interesting angle and thinking way ouside of the box !!! I may be able to locate a retired artist that I used to work with ....he does amazing cartoons and lives in Victoria now. May be able to get him to donate time to the cause... and I could take him out fishing when he is in Vancouver ....to sweeten the deal !!!

Posted by Wolf...

You guys are off track this has nothing to do with a derby its about the piece of the pie (fish) and whats happening why the numbers are not coming back!!!!

Wolf, your posts are right on.
Raising money for hatcheries, no matter how you do it, is not a bad but as you comment thats getting off track. It is not the answer to a much bigger problem. Not sure yet how we as a group (sportfishers) could ever get attention and action from DF0 (or government land claims)lol...such as the FN do but we need to search for answers soon otherwise its going to be too late. Your idea of raising money to fight DFO seems a huge task but not impossible. Alexandera Morton has gone the legal route re missing Sockeye and has had some success.

quote:An update will be provided on the duration of these management measures in a
subsequent fishery notice by the end of May.
Yep its now the end of may and looooookkkieee llloookiiieee DFO is screwing us once again!!!!!!

Ive got people waiting to book flights etc to come fish just in the sooke area and now they are going to more than likly cancel because they can fish elsewhere as no one else is being shut down!!!!

Thank you very much GOVERNMENT who continue to allow the nananimo area open and let the FN net the fraser but holy cow if you catch a fish thats close to 60 miles away from a river you better shut it down!!!!!
WHAT a FRICEN farce god help any of the creel survery people who EVER want to talk to me or a head recovery program forget it every one is going back into the ocean and the worse part is put it on a level playing field if/when it does come down we are closed close it for the whole province why pick on a specfic area???? I really dont understand there thinking and its pi$$ing me off.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Booking flights? I have long time clients who already booked flights and hotel rooms early this year and who are coming from across the country for June fishing in Sooke. As I've said before I can suck it up and deal with any restriction that will have positive rebuilding results on depressed stocks. Fishing restrictions however do not on their own rebuild stocks. Are the commercial guys who haven't fished a normal season in years seeing any improvements? Hell no, it has gotten worse. Buck up DFO, can some of the high paid dead wood in Ottawa and spend some money here in the field where it will achieve timely positive results for fish and all fisheries. The best advice to DFO keep politics out of fish management.

I wonder if anyone is thinking about buying a Washington State license and running across the strait to fish over there. What a reversal that would be for the Yanks to see Canucks running over to their fishing haunts to keep a fish.

Back