Sidney/gulf islands pink advice

T

Thetis

Going to be "boating" with the wife August 3-4 in the Sidney, Saanich Inlet area and would like to tack on some fishing. Are the pinks in that area yet? Should i head to the outside of active pass or saturna? Any suggestions?

Try down Finlayson Arm for Chums heading for Gold stream. It’s a bit early but what the heck. Also Cowichan bay for springs is an option.

Good Luck

there won't be any chums down finalynson arm they don't show up until sept./oct.

I'm sure there will millions of pinks along pender by then as there's a ton in sooke right now. You can also find springs around sidney, wain rock, sansum narrows and mill bay - just don't expect a lot of action.

The pinks start showing up along Pender Bluffs the first week of August , along with Fraser springs and coho. If you fish the Inlet area check the latest DFO regs for non retention areas for chinook

Stay out of the inlet unless you are pleasure cruising.I have always had my best luck off the pender bluffs for pinks and there are decent size springs to be had too.My friend caught a 30+ spring there while trolling a watermelon spoon for pinks at 40 feet.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Hooch

Hi, Thetis.

I grew up on Saltspring, I don't fish around there much anymore, but I know the area well. The Pender bluffs would probably be the my first choice for Pinks or Sockeye. Another area I've had good luck with Pinks is around Enterprise reef. That is the marked reef that is near the Mayne Island ferry terminal. Troll the deep side of the reef, the side further away from Mayne Island. A close pass may also get you a nice Ling, but your flirting with disaster if you get to close. I've lost a ball or two fishing there, but it's a great spot to try.

TheBigGuy

Thanks! Pender bluffs it is. I assume those are the cliffs on the east side of the island north of Bedwell Bay? What depth of water and depth of lure would you recommend?

I would be inclined to set the lines between 20 - 60 feet. Not sure whether there are tide lines to fish there, or is it one of those spots where you hug the shore?

Thetis

Hi, again.

The Pender bluffs as far as I know, is the west side of North Pender Island. I've had the best luck trolling MP15 hoochies at around 40-65 ft depth. You don't need to hug shore, I don't remember the bottom depths exactly as it's been a while.

TheBigGuy

Thanks BigGuy/T2. Is it best on any particular tide. flood or ebb?

Thetis

Saw the reference to Cowichan Bay.
Just a reminder to check your regs.
The Bay and surrounding areas close August 1 for all "fin fishing".

From low slack to about two hours into the flood works-the fish here are only stopping to get out of the currents.Watch the north end as it goes from 100+ ft to 60-30 ft awfully quick.

Hi Guys,

Besides the Pinks are there any areas near Pender for prawning?
Well be cruising for a week there in about 10 days.

Sir Reel

Back