Sidney fishing any good??

saltydawg

Anyone been out Sidney way the last couple of days??
Powder wharf??

thanks

This is what I'm thinking for tomorrow.
Seals are getting really bad off Clover.
Constance tides look a little "brisk".
I like Whirl Bay on a flood and tomorrow an ebb sooo....

Change of scenery might be nice.

I have been hearing all good in sidney

I used to work with a guy who live and fishes sidney almost every weeked

hes had a good year so far

id try pender bluffs or fairfax if its windy

my 2 cents

tubbed

quote: there was a fisheries notice at esquimalt anglers about a Haida seal hunt for food purposes?

Do tell, i would love to see that..though that does slightly strike fear in me of being shot on the water..especially after those two natives hunting on valdez and one shot the other while playing a game..[xx(]

ARE YOU SERIOUS MADDOG if thats the case wahoooooo ill even supply the ammo. heck I would even donate my time to take them out. please tell me its true we need some good news for a change oh wait till the environmentalists here this one!!!!!

Wolf

Seriously Wolf! Just over the details but it was Haida food seal hunt on the west coast. So who knows WTF could be open season on the lil brown eyed critters. Cull may be to strong but seal hunt is cool!

about 3 weeks ago i was watching the local US news. they reported something like 15 sea lions washing up on shore. they said they all died from gun shots and couldnt figure out why some one would shoot one!!!

Cant you "accidentally" run one over???

Funny, we have them bleeding hearts over here that don't have a clue what seals do the rest of the marine life sometimes. They have hunts for overpopulation of deers so why not take the seal lions of the endanger list and have a overpapulation hunt. Beats me.

sorry..that should read everything..even those damned salmon stealing seals.[:I]:D

yup they have a purpose, but when their populations are higher then what their natural historic levels indicate it is a serious issue.

In reality the seals aren't the problem. People are. If people hadn't greedily over fished and decimated the fish stocks as they are today the seals wouldn't be an issue. Its not that I am some bleeding heart or hippy or looking to save the seals, its just reality. Salmon stocks are eihter gone completely or remain in a mere fraction of what they were 50 years ago. So now that we (people) have nearly destroyed the stocks, we blame the seals because we cant catch fish in plentiful numbers? The logic simply isn't there. Next we'll blame the whales (as we all do)and suggest a whale hunt because stocks are down; and we keep blaming our way down the food chain. The cycle continues where we blame everyone but ourselves. If you are going to moan and complain about seals ruining fishing stop and think about the reality of the situation rather than blaming the other guy (seals) for something we( people ) have done. The answer to the consequences for human destruction is not nesesarliy more destruction. There is only one way to save fish stocks; stop fishing, for a while at least, let stocks rebuild, and finally only fish at sustainable levels. Hiding ones head in the sand never solved anything and nothing worth doing is ever easy.

End of rant.

Hey Vic Boater, I'm not sure you understand what is being said. Of course man is to blame for the lack of fish. That being said the fishery is in a very delicate state and over-populations of seals is worsening the situation.

The fact is, there are more seals in this area then there was before man arrived. If any animal reaches levels higher then its surrounding eco system is designed for they become a pest and throw the whole system out of balance(humans included).

Bring the seals down to their natural levels and you have taken one more nail out of pacific salmon's coffin. There are still plenty of nails that need to be pulled, but this is one that's easily addressed.

Yep, the seals are out of control. Don't want to get rid of every seal, but I don't see the need for the numbers now. And the ones that learned to follow fishing boats should go first. [}:)]

Lets see seals have been hunted for oh.. about 50,000 years by a native population that numbered in the millions before we killed off the natives. Now the seal population is way up why?? and the salmon are way down why??? Yes mangeging a resoure in more them stopping hunting and fishing. Its our responesablity to manage the planet in a way that benifits every one. Having seals decimate a salmon run, which has happened on the klamath river system in Califorina, just so people in san fransico can feel good about them selves does not help the over all planet, let alone the salmon. I have seen large schools of salmon stack up at the mouth of the klamath only to get raped by the seal population, which is higher then very recorded, and see no salmon at all get five miles up stream. seals on the big C have over populated so much that now they are eating sturgean off the bottom of the river. That had never been seen before 3 years ago. The population need to culled to a manageable level.

Case in point.. the seal population on the hood canal was very high. three years ago some of your seal eating orca came down to the hood and eat 800 seals that winter. Thats a middle estimite. They have been back the last three years in a row and the seal population is almost half of what it was. Th last two years on the hood have been great for kings in the summer. My freind has a family cabin there. Been in the family for decades. This was the best year his family has seen in 40 years. The rivers that feed in to the hood have been doing good the last two years. Now if we could just train whales to eat indian nets at the mouths of the river we would have it made. or maybe a sign at safe way that tell poeple what rivers the salmon really comes from.

well said, i dont think a slaughter would be nessicary(though im not objecting to one;))but i think if there was just a season for the buggers the situation would improve greatly, back 40 years ago in the straight of georgia it was 5$ for a seals nose, a fair bit of money for my old man at the time, and then seals were not an issue.
now you got 4-5 following your boat:(

Back