2024 Sidney Reports

eroyd

Spent an hour at Coal but not a sniff. Headed south along East Side of James, followed the beach past the powder wharf, was about to call it a day when both pins popped. Fish on rod one was gone, played and lost fish number two. Lost a couple more, including a probable good one. Frustrating! Did finally release one after all the losses of about 7bs. Ebb started pushing hard making things too tough. Spoons bouncing bottom 80-100ft.

Last edited:
Was fishing off Fairfax yesterday. There was an amerian boat in the mix from Anacortes, Wash. We cleary saw him net a drastically undersized fish.(maybe 12") and keep it. Newer Seasport, one guy on the boat.

We managed to sneak out for a couple hours after 10 o’clock today. Winds were calm. No rain. Funnily enough, I hooked into a really huge coho and lost it during some acrobatics right at the boat after it tangled up in the other rod.

Then, as we were heading in, my mum/fishing partner snagged a huge one. I was cranking up mine to get it out-of-the-way (and apply my learnings from the last heart break) and help her net her fish. She gets it all the way to the surface, it shakes head and it’s gone.

We were fishing in 85 feet of water and I guess this fish chased my lure straight up and bit it right at the surface. After a crazy chaotic fight we got her in. 79cm. Crazy day but happy to have the first salmon of 2024!

Attachments

• IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_9101.jpeg
    IMG_9101.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 198
Was fishing off Fairfax yesterday. There was an amerian boat in the mix from Anacortes, Wash. We cleary saw him net a drastically undersized fish.(maybe 12") and keep it. Newer Seasport, one guy on the boat.
Saw the same guy at Hamley too back in Sept. He was solo netting 14-16” fish.

Apologizing for the ugly American a$$hat! I don’t know what is considered “newer”, but I have a 2006 Seasport and will be up there fishing the Sidney derby and don’t wish to be mistaken for that clown. Hopefully he does not have a black bootstripe!
The WN boat registration on the hull makes him pretty easy to spot!! Good luck in the derby!

Hey, anyone willing to point me to some lower current cabazon and greenling spots around Sidney?
I've caught some right by the reef south of Ker Isl. I've never retained either species but i've caught a few around Sidney for sure.

Greenling are often fairly shallow. I picked one up on a 60' pinnacle the other day while jigging for salmon, but they can be in as shallow as 10' around kelp. I'd just take a look at your charts and find a few spots that aren't near the major flow areas, maybe in 20-40' next to a kelp bed, that way you'll be less likely to catch ling and rockfish. The big issue with targeting cabezon is that you'll be fishing ling habitat as well, and it's best to leave them alone this time of year since they're spawning and are closed for retention.

Thanks folks, I’ll try that reef S of Ker. I have caught some in the Little Group, but the current window is very short. I was hoping to hear of a sweet little cove somewhere.

It's been a quiet winter on this thread and I think I know why. I've been out 3 times since the new year and zero keepers. Seems to be tons of 3-4 pounders around but nothing of size. Anyone catching?

It's been a quiet winter on this thread and I think I know why. I've been out 3 times since the new year and zero keepers. Seems to be tons of 3-4 pounders around but nothing of size. Anyone catching?
I’ve been doing pretty well by Coal. Just trolling by the reefs in 100’. We’ve been out three times and had four keepers. Including one epic doubleheader.

Maybe I’m just making up for the years when I wasn’t catching Jack squat lol

I’ve been running 4’ leaders, and the Bon chovy skinny G has been crushing. Five feet off bottom. Tight lines

This has been my experience too. Last three times out I’ve had tiddlers and the odd just under. I know Coal can produce but I find that bit of water punishingly boring to fish. On Sunday I’m gonna bottom bounce Sidney Channel to Powder on the ebb, then Hamley on the turn.

This has been my experience too. Last three times out I’ve had tiddlers and the odd just under. I know Coal can produce but I find that bit of water punishingly boring to fish. On Sunday I’m gonna bottom bounce Sidney Channel to Powder on the ebb, then Hamley on the turn.
Good luck out there. We will be out on Sunday too weather permitting.

Back