Sickened by the seine boat actions

trendsetter

So me and a buddy spent the day fishing the southern gulf islands...active pass, north pender up to porlier pass.

The commie seine boats were also out there. We had the chance at one point to be trolling about 500 meters from a seine boat off north pender bluffs around 4pm. This boat, marks a school and drops the net to circle proceeds to mop up a massive school of pinks right next to where we were fishing.

Whatever, they're allowed to fish there just like me but what we saw next is what made me sick. As they pulled in the net and started sorting their catch they start flinging fish over the side like they're garbage. I'm thinking these must have been springs or coho or something they aren't allowed to keep. But these guys are tossing these fish by the tail at least 10 feet off the boat. What do you think the chances are of these surviving? I thought they were supposed to use tanks to revive the bycatch then release them without harm?

Of the 3 dozen or so fish they flung over the side I doubt half of them survived. Just seemed like a gross abuse of the fish stock to me. When we catch something that is not to be kept we take extra care to release them unharmed and with minimal scale loss.

I know DFO can't be watching every boat but we have to do better than that. Should I have filmed them and reported them? Would anyone have done anything about it? I dunno but it was a sad sight to see.

If you EVER have a question about what someone is doing on the water - video it or at least photograph it.

The mere action of aiming a camera at someone could change what they are doing - if not, you have documented it for the proper authorities.

Always try and photograph boat names, registration numbers, commercial fishing license plates, etc., anything that will identify them. Also try and get close ups of the people involved - telephoto lenses are your friend.

Digital cameras don't burn up film and cost you nothing but batteries - take lots of photos! The other day, I shot 325 photos of 4 deer that were in my yard.

I heard a guy on the VHF the other day trying to report a boat for taking an oversized Chinook in an area where the max size is 77cm. After getting linked into a telephone channel and connected to Tofino, all he could tell them was that it was a white boat with twin outboards. Couldn't even tell them what brand of outboard or where they were headed after they boated the fish and hightailed it out of the area! He may as well have not reported it.

Last edited by a moderator:
before you label every seine boat as a commie and how they were flinging fish like garbage, first of all there is NO COMMERCIAL SEINE FISHIERY IN ARE E OR SOUTHERN WATER. like sushihunter said without pictures its like it didn't happen what you probaly say AND IN MY OPINION ONLY, and the only ones that are open to fish is a native food and cerimonial fishery that would be my guess

What was the name on the boat? Likely keeping sox and flinging pinks if food fishing.

I would have had to drive right up to the boat to take any pics all I had was my crappy cell phone camera. Next time I think I will. And it did happen because myself and my friend witnessed it.

We were in area 18-4 off the east side of north pender island. We passed one seine boat at the northern tip near the entrance to active pass and then the one that was flinging salmon was right off the bluffs on the east side of the island.

I didn't see the numbers on the boats, both were approx. 40' welded steel boats with a small dinghy running out behind them working the nets. Probably describes just about every seine boat so no proof there. I guess if there was no commercial opening they must have been native boats.

I was just sickened by the wanton waste of the bycatch. It hurts when we go to such great pains to release fish without injury and a single boat can come along and destroy 30 or 40 fish in 10 minutes wiping out your effort for an entire season. And that was just in one set.

I didn't take note of what was open for them or not....but I was on Mayne all weekend with a clear view of Active Pass as we're on the end of the point in Village Bay. The seiners were workin' the area pretty well. Saw them in Village Bay/Active pass all through the weekend and saw a few as I was headed out to the east one day for a cruise. Didn't get the bino's out to see what they were catching....or throwing back.

springtime is correct. it is the native food fishery. there has not been a mention of when/if the commercial fleet will open. that would be nice to have on tape and present at the cohen commission as a sample of how the resource is being looked after.

Just a little more information. the seine fleet is going to be managed by how many sockeye they catch. That is there is suppose to be a huge run of pinks to be harvested but when the sockeye allocation is met then no matter the number of available pinks for harvest the fleet will be shut down. now on the other hand you have the food fishery throwing pinks back dead(that are good enough for others to eat) all while knocking the crap out of the sockeye fishery.
one native boat today had 90,000lbs of sockeye off fine beach. We saw at least 4 more on their way up. Stewards of the resource

Holmes. Look up Freeman and Common Law. There is some truth to what is being said.
Bonne, although I can appreciate your views and knowledge, and understanding, you do come off as though you feel you have a superior mind set, and it's my belief that no human being is superior to another.

In a nutshell you can claim your sovereignty back from the Govt. According to law you are born a slave. By becoming freeman you are freed, and you are eligible to 160 acres of land, Canadian law no longer applies to you as you run your "own" government. This is quite true. The Govt would really not like you to know all of this. If you have an older birth certificate, look at it. It has a bond number on it. When you are born the Govt registers a company as your name, and borrows money against you from a US bank. When you become freeman you are able to cash in this bond under law, although the Govt is yet to ever honor it.

Oh by the way did you know Canada is actually a corporation, and not an actual country?.

You're all being mislead that you even have to follow what DFO says.
If the RCMP or whoever were to arrest you as a freeman under common law for fishing for food, you could actually send them a bill for your time, as their detainment of you was unlawful, although they could argue that you were fishing in their waters therefor you required a permit, and probably at a non resident rate.

Just claim your 160 acres remotely with water access, and they'd have a pretty big court battle!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are sleeping they have been up all night arguing, so don't type to loudly they need there beauty sleep

BV, you would be surprised at the high percentage of food fishers. Seasonal catching and perserving salmon is also a cultural practice,that has been going on for generations,similar to your cultural legands. My society has hunter gatherer legends too,apparantly yours does too. In this respect we are similar. How we all decide to harvest doesn't really matter.
Traditional food harvesting,and harvesting for profit is not a new concept.

No - I am equal to every human.

Yes & no! Judging by your post, you are partially on track ... however you need to dive deeper into it, rather than just skimming the surface of the Freeman movement. The Freeman are barely there ... but they are getting closer to the truth than not.

Charging Federal agents under the Exchange Act for your time will only happen if you have the knowledge of law and the understanding of it, in order to do so. :)

Learn Common Law, Admiralty Marine Law, Commercial Law ... you must know the law in order to know your rights. Knowing the law will give you your power and understanding. Power over you is control by your consent ... also known as your silence.

In law the last word is determined as truth. A battle of words ...

Please don't assume that I know only what I have spoken. I have only spoke enough to break it down to simple for those not knowing on the subject, so that they can understand the basics. I also only touched the base as I have no interest in long winded arguments or rivalries, and that energy could be better wasted on my health recovery or on fishing. I urge everyone interested to learn more, and all I have done is pointed those who wish the knowledge, in the correct direction.

Both bonne and I are telling you folks something, and google, and other research could be your best friend. :)

Back