Shut Down Commercial Fishery - move to selective Terminal FN fishery

Things to note; you will never see a commercial fn fishery without a commercial opportunity for non fn, and vise versa. In a terminal fishery every sector shares an opportunity to harvest, and in priority sectoral fisheries the obligations are met based on run size prior to determining if it is even eligible to go terminal. Read the history of our fisheries to understand what is going on. Read what your sportfishing forefathers negotiated for you, then understand why it is as it is today. Siding with a sector to gain verbiage over another will get us no where, not today, and not ever. Face it, there are three sectors standing, all three must find ways to work together in order continue to ensure that we have fish for our futures and our futures futures. Talking with sectors trying to develop solutions for everyone is a great focus, however exuding sectors is not. Direct your focus on the real issue - DFO!

DHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searun, from March to July 15th we here in 19/20 must release all Chinook over 67cm if they are wild. So in May June and the first half of July 99% of the Chinook over about 10 pounds we cannot retain. Fishing trips by all during this time has dropped off the map and businesses are needlessly suffering. WHY? DFO asked the lower Fraser bands to restrict their take of early timed Chinook so that more fish heading upstream would make the spawning grounds. They got a "FY" unless you shut down the rec fishery in 19/20. DFO showed them the science....we take 1-2% of the fish of concern...they take 20% plus. They don't accept those numbers and persisted that in order for them to even consider taking less we had to be shut down. That is called blackmail!!! So we suffer and they still fish. I release fish to improve everyones situation longterm, but that fish gets caught behind me anyway. BTW, this year from May to July 15th was my worst for chartering during that period in 25 years. It was worse than my very first year in business!!

Good day, profisher just to clarify your statement, Perhaps DFO wants to take the credit for it but it was not them who asked the lower river or marine FN to restrict their fishing during the migration of the Early timed Chinook (aka 4 sub 2) it was the FN’s from Kamloops and Nicola asked this of the lower FN. Why? Because this is the spawning grounds for these Chinook and because the brood year only produced the following in 2007:
Coldwater River: 107 spawners
Spius Creek: 64
Nicola River: 942
Deadman River: 301
Louis Creek: 31
Bessett creek: 5
Bonaparte River: 1046 (DFO started to include this stock in the 90”s)

DFO last 4 year average recruites/spawner was only .62 which means that the stocks are not replacing themselves one to one. Let’s do the math for Bessett: 5 spawners X .62= 3.1 returning spawners for 2011…WE ALL HOPE.

If we all continue on the management path of DFO, these stocks are predicted to be extinct in 16 years. Those Fishing trips you spoke of…I don’t know, maybe they can start sunset watching, because there will be no early Chinook returning to the Thompson system.

Searun; good on you for trying to think outside of the box, not all FN are greedy and uncaring on the plight of the salmon or the local mom and pop businesses just like not all Recreational fishermen are racist jerks (although reading this forum I have to think about that one). I think that if you continue to get poked by the dirty end of the stick you may tend to lash out at everyone. But you are right, all sectors need to talk to each other, including marine and interior (south and north), perhaps a better understanding of each other’s needs and wants will help with future management plans that will have all sectors input. BUT DFO has to be out of the room and not influencing and doing their divide and conquer tacit between the sectors. …ok, I will take their money to get me to a meeting like this…but at the end of the day, we all have to be on the same page on what we want for the future of our resource. Coho have been on the list for twenty years when is DFO management going to rebuild this stock so everyone can benefit? Now, early Chinook, Steelhead (trout), sockeye next? Chum?

Who do we blame? The lodges? Recreation mom and pop’s? the First Nations? the Orca’s? or DFO?

You are right the upper bands asked the lower bands to cut back so that fish could pass and make their way to spawn. DFO supplied the lower bands with data that showed that they were taking the upper stocks at a rate at over 20%. They insisted that area 19/20 be shut down before they would consider cutting back. DFO then supplied them with data that showed that area 19/20 represented only 1 to 2% of the total catch of those runs. They didn't believe the DFO data and insisted that we be shut down. So we are virtually shut down and during that time I continue to hear of FN openings on the Fraser during this period of time. My question is.....when does conservation ever take place and stop everyone from fishing? When the last fish is caught? I let these fish go from March to mid July so that they can spawn and better everyones future fishing experience and put healthy numbers of fish back in the rivers. I don't let them go so that they can be caught a few miles away in a gill net. I'm not a racist...I could just give a **** about any human beings so called inherent rights....I fight for the fish!!!!!!! I want good science and data to steer the recovery of fish stocks, not politics and back room deals.

Well said Rolly.

The only concern for race here is the 5-species of Pacific salmon and considering DFO's tragically flawed management acumen, it has sadly and ironically come down to the survival of Pacific salmon being dependent on the DFO going extinct first.

Unification of all humans who care about and will fight for wild salmon will save these Great Fishes for our children, not ignorant, greedy, Feds in the pockets of salmon farmers.

We ALL must talk if they are to have a chance.

I have alot to learn about the history of the west coast fishery and the associated groups involved. I don't feel I have adequate knowledge to comment on some things (if anyone can point me in a direction to do more research about the history and issues involving the west coast fishery that would be awesome....I'd rather not spend all day in Google) That being said I do have a few things on my mind :)..............yes gill nets have to go, makes you shake your head. Weir fishing sounds interesting.....I see there could be a problem with the quality of the fish though but I don't know enough about it. Throwing around thoughts and ideas is where it all starts. I agree 100% with the following:

Unification of all humans who care about and will fight for wild salmon will save these Great Fishes for our children, not ignorant, greedy, Feds in the pockets of salmon farmers.

We ALL must talk if they are to have a chance.

Well, I have to agree. There is a lot that can be gained if everyone talks openly from an open minded view. The whole point of raising the question was to get everyone thinking outside the box for a new solution, and yes one that ultimately and hopefully involves all sectors. I'm a little jaded with the Commercial sector's ability and interest in looking to new innovative solutions to be honest. It would be nice if I'm wrong. I think the Sport and FN sectors have a lot more in common on this issue so perhaps we need to start talking and if the Commercial guys want to join in all the better.

Would be amazing if we could somehow shift the fisheries towards a true terminal wier system that controls the number of fish taken based on the actual run size returning to the river as opposed to taking a guess or over estimating the run size to justify a politically motivated decision to run a commercial fishery.

Anyone that thinks the FN's would cooperate with the Sportfishing sector is smoking crack.

I have a better chance of seeing a Unicorn that see that happen

Anyone that thinks the FN's would cooperate with the Sportfishing sector is smoking crack.

I have a better chance of seeing a Unicorn that see that happen

Playing with food is definitely not high on the list of FN priorities, but commercial fishing is. As precedence of LAW will show there will never be an FN commercial opportunity without participation from the standard commercial fleet and visa-versa.

DHA.

Talks already in progress....start smokin

To clarify, who is talking with whom. Which bands and territories? Remember what I told you, don't wait for anyone to come to you, make the effort to approach the commercial sector. Change only happens with consensus between all three sectors.

DHA.

One would then ask whom you are representing.
Do you have their approval to discuss this and when do you need to go back to them for their approval?

I know that the following link is not directly related to Port Alberni area where Searun is concentrating his talks with FN, but you should have a well versed background in everything that is going on here in BC prior to jumping in with both feet and without knowledge or consideration for all three sectors. The link shares with you a news article and talks about a new agreement with Tla'amin First Nation of the Powell River Region. There are many more similar agreements coming into play over the next while.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tl...ada-initial-final-agreement-2011-10-21-171110

DHA.

Concentrating efforts for moment on Port Alberni. Don't want another cluster to happen like we experienced last season. Got to start somewhere. Other groups (BCFDF) have been talking to FN with a great deal of success. Time for us to follow that model. I'm speaking only on behalf of Guide Association. We will see how that goes, and if things work out we will be looking to open discussions with the other sector, but I have to be honest they were quite hostile to our interests/needs last season so we will start where there has been an open and willing invitation. One step at a time.

Back