Shut Down Commercial Fishery - move to selective Terminal FN fishery

searun

Seems like the recreational sector is constantly battling with the Commercial sector in an effort to keep our angling opportunities alive. I wonder what our opportunities would look like if we were able to lobby with FN communities to shut down the commercial fishery and move the commercial harvest to the FN if they ran it as a selective terminal fishery (weirs) subject to close catch regulation that ensured plenty of spawning recruitment and surplus fish for freshwater recreational fisheries??

I know the concept of selective terminal weir fisheries is not a new one, but perhaps it is time for us to change up the game.

This could benefit coastal communities because jobs and economic spin offs from the catch and processing of fish would remain in local communities. It would also reduce conflicts with the recreational fishery leaving the fish to the recreational sector until they hit the river.

Curious to hear other view points on pro's and con's.

I believe in the commercial fishery.............

You think that the FN would do it better???

It seems that the FN are some of the greediest out there...even more so than the commercials in many cases...look at what they have done to many moose and elk populations.... I do realize that some are not, but many more are.

Weir caught fish is fine if you own the land where the weir is located plus weir caught fish is worth less than ocean caught-so economically it's something of a snakepit.

I'm not disagreeing but it'll never be 100% weir fishery-in the old days natives out of Nootka would use two canoes to drag a trawl net offshore-that's how the Albacore & Bluefin Tuna bones in the Friendly Cove midden got there.

Caveat was the weir fishery had to be strictly regulated, not the gong show DFO allows to take place now. Think about the benefits of not having those non-selective seine and gill net fisheries...and all the fish that would swim right past the rec anglers and into the river.

Searun, one of your ideas is flawed. The idea of working with the FN guys to lobby government to shut down the commi's. The Fn guys identify more with the commercial fishery than they do with ours. They would much rather see us go away. Why would they want to shut down a fishery they hope to one day own outright? They have nothing against making money from fish sales...they don't however believe in playing with their food.

I like the idea of cooperating with the FN. Sometimes I feel like the lone voice on here in favour of special programs to help rehabilitate FN communities. I strongly believe that Canadian aboriginal communities have a unique relationship with the local environment that the rest of us will never take from them and never have ourselves. And I freely acknowledge that some losers take advantage of their race to the detriment of conservation -though it is not the majority.

But, I am also a strong advocate of sustainable industrial harvesting, and I want to see families making their livings from the sea. I fished commercially for many seasons, I loved it; it was a very formative time in my life. I hope that my kids will get a chance to fish for a living too.

The flaw I see in your idea is that it continues to focus on divisions between interest groups. Industrial harvesters, Natives, commercial guides and recreational fishermen all have much more in common than we seek to admit. We all depend on healthy fish populations and a healthy environment to sustain an activity that is essential to our lives. Driving wedges between sectors does not seem like a step forward to me; it seems like the same back-slide we've been in for a long time. And arguments over which group gets more money out of a pound of fish meat won't help either.

In my opinion, we need to build bridges between sectors. We have governments in Ottawa and Victoria that seem to hold wild fish stocks (and the expression of democratic will) in utter contempt. For now we need to speak with one voice. And once fish-bearing ecosystems and wild fish populations are stable, then we can start worrying more about who gets what. For now, those arguments are a distraction from the real issue. And b.s. like the 88/12 split on halis seems like it was designed especially to divide us, while the DFO manages our fish stocks into oblivion and turns the real management of our west coast over to Norwegian salmon farmers.

That being said (and it sure feels good to get it off my chest) it is good to see people proposing new and creative solutions to the very serious problems we face. Thanks for sharing your idea, even though I'm not on board with it yet.

It's the NETS we have to shut down! Florida voted down NET fishing (74% against) in 1994 and guess what the fishing became fantastic! But as long as we allow people like Jimmy to run DFO it won't change. Why can't it be put to a vote in BC? Trolling is much more selective, and the fish caught commands a much better price, and is a much more sustainable industrial harvesting system.

Stosh

My response is not pointed at any individual in relation to this thread, but wow!

Its better to build bridges and fill in gaps and create or develop better relationships with all sectors in order to help make substantial change in our fisheries for today and tomorrow. If you think a halibut war was hard enough, imagine what kind of war it will be once you start. Simply by reading the words that were chosen to head this topic, I'd call it "The War of all fish wars!" We'd loose.

I am out!

DHA.

Last edited by a moderator:
My response is not pointed at any individual in relation to this thread, but wow!

Its better to build bridges and fill in gaps and create or develop better relationships with all sectors in order to help make substantial change in our fisheries for today and tomorrow. If you think a halibut war was hard enough, imagine what kind of war it will be once you start. Simply by reading the words that were chosen to head this topic, I'd call it "The War of all fish wars!" We'd loose.

I am out!

DHA.

I agree with what I have put in bold ..... even the loose part, there aint nothing loose about it.... We'd lose for sure :p

Lets hear what you think...... I would, you usually have an interesting perspective.

"loose, lose" I guess I am a louse for sounding out my words. ??? At least my spelling is better than my last year of school(Gr.9 haha) I use my toes for counting too. LOL

DHA.

I'm just suggesting a selective terminal fishery. We already know the commercial guys will never go for that as they are over invested in non-selective terminal tackle methods with exception of troll fleet which I have no issues with. Really our beef and conflict is with the net boys, and they do not want to engage. Rather, they have been quick to thumb their noses at the recreational fleet. FN on the other hand are well positioned to run selective terminal fisheries using weirs. Moreover (sorry Pro Fisher, don't share your observation on my next point) the FN are more than willing to sit down and talk to the sporties. We have a lot in common, and I believe discussions with FN fishers will be productive...and a selective terminal fishery would not conflict with a recreational fishery..a win/win. Yes, there have been issues regulating the FN fishery as they have some guys who just want a free for all. However, a weir system run correctly can be regulated quite easily and transparently.

I'm just suggesting a selective terminal fishery. We already know the commercial guys will never go for that as they are over invested in non-selective terminal tackle methods with exception of troll fleet which I have no issues with. Really our beef and conflict is with the net boys, and they do not want to engage. Rather, they have been quick to thumb their noses at the recreational fleet. FN on the other hand are well positioned to run selective terminal fisheries using weirs. Moreover (sorry Pro Fisher, don't share your observation on my next point) the FN are more than willing to sit down and talk to the sporties. We have a lot in common, and I believe discussions with FN fishers will be productive...and a selective terminal fishery would not conflict with a recreational fishery..a win/win. Yes, there have been issues regulating the FN fishery as they have some guys who just want a free for all. However, a weir system run correctly can be regulated quite easily and transparently.

I don't know the percentage of the fleet but there are alot of FN commercial fisherman out there. Just a thought. Maybe look outside of the river. I don't know how many of them are willing to sit down and talk. Just sayin.

Unfortunately, the quality and market value is not the same for river caught fish. There can only be a food fishery without offering a commercial opportunity and visa verse for commercial FN opportunities. There is no way to exclude any sector from participation in terminal fisheries. If the troll fleet was better at selecting the fish that they target, then they would have had greater opportunities than they do today. It is a sad reality, but fighting gear types does not create solutions over the lack of fish available in any shared fishery. Take Alberni terminal opportunities, extrapolate the available data and tell me what you see? I don't see an issue that is between sectors, I see a problem that starts at the heart of DFO. Who polices during fisheries? who gave permission to fish where? Who allowed what to happen with harvest numbers during all sectoral opportunities? Secondly who has the money to give to DFO in order for them to act competently in their position as protector of our resource? It is simply a far greater issue than a transfer or priority shift from one sector to the other.

DHA.

Searun I have in the past sought almost exactly what you describe. Obviously for us better to have all commercial fisheries behind us not in front. Personally I'm not against seiners if they are made to sort out non-target species carefully and are supervised. Gill nets should be banned. The reason I feel seiners are ok is simple. There are times when large amounts of quickly migrating fish need to be caught, while in prime shape for market. Seiners (not table) are best at this (obviously) and they do have the ability to sort fish. To accomplish catching the same number of fish quickly by troll would be difficult unless the number of boats is vastly increased. With a troll fleet comes catch and release of non-target species. We all know how we feel about how that works with us and all the coho that don't make it with our smaller hooks. I don't like that scenario. On the FN point. Are you aware of why 19/20 has an early timed Chinook restriction and why we are restricted on wild coho on the south coast?

What early timed chinook restriction in area 19/20? So far as I know its open other than some lame excuse area closures, and really...who cares, there's plenty of places to fish....wild coho, anyone who has been around for more than a minute knows the DFO excuse for Thompson River coho....please fill me in if there is something I missed.

Get rid of the nets, and we get rid of the conflicts and better we have control over the number of fish that actually get up river to spawn. Selective terminal fisheries are the way to go, and FN's are the perfect partner to help make that happen. If the commercial guys want to get on board more power to them...but I rather doubt it.

Searun, from March to July 15th we here in 19/20 must release all Chinook over 67cm if they are wild. So in May June and the first half of July 99% of the Chinook over about 10 pounds we cannot retain. Fishing trips by all during this time has dropped off the map and businesses are needlessly suffering. WHY? DFO asked the lower Fraser bands to restrict their take of early timed Chinook so that more fish heading upstream would make the spawning grounds. They got a "FY" unless you shut down the rec fishery in 19/20. DFO showed them the science....we take 1-2% of the fish of concern...they take 20% plus. They don't accept those numbers and persisted that in order for them to even consider taking less we had to be shut down. That is called blackmail!!! So we suffer and they still fish. I release fish to improve everyones situation longterm, but that fish gets caught behind me anyway. BTW, this year from May to July 15th was my worst for chartering during that period in 25 years. It was worse than my very first year in business!!

Sorry, don't fish over on east coast so I missed that. Looks to me to be more of a political decision rather than a negotiated one. All the more reason to work with FN to get them doing selective terminal weir fishery rather than nets. Way easier to control.

Area 20 includes JDF Strait and the waters in Sooke on the west side.

Back