SHOULDA STAYED HOME

Bummer!

A cheap and easy way to avoid the dreaded roll back, is to throw a wheel chock under the rear tire. Some guys even tie a rope to the wheel chock that attaches to the bumper so you just pull the trailer out and the chock follows along while you park the trailer. Park pins can snap like a pretzle on an automatic trans as the e brake just doesnt have it on most trucks to prevent going in reverse adding stress on the park pin, especially with some of the big boats we haul around now.

www.tailspincharters.com

Great to see people pitched in and help, and its good to post this as it just reminds us of what can happen. I stick my 4x4 in gear and use the e-brake but i think some wood chocks are a great idea and im going to fashion some asap. A contractor on my job emailed me the attached picture he had taken last week on Tillicum and Obed. A good reminder to make sure that the boat is secure.

boat.jpg

Oh Oh I know whos owns that boat he rebuilt that thing and customized everything hes got to be about 70 yrs old by now that really sucks!!!!he has a chev truck the same color to match it....

wolf

Ok got me thinking I have a gmc diesel 1 ton dually -I tow an orca probably grosses out around 8000 lbs. Should add the truck is auto. Currently I back down the ramp-usually 2 wheel drive (point about 4 wheel well taken)-don't take the safety chain off until in the water-put it in park- truck running-put the parking brake on-chock the rear wheel and leave the drivers door open. Is there something else I should do-or have I got some fuzzy thinking here just waiting to bite me.Anybody got a safer idea that works for an auto diesel ?

not to change the subject but you guy with heavy boats 8000+ and camping trailers you need a heavy trailer endorsement on your class 5 drivers license

Every vehicle has powerful hydraulic brakes which when engaged work better than a wheel chock. Just have to lock them in. You can either have someone sit in the truck with foot on brakes, rig up a bar (which won't fall out of position) that you can jam between depressed petal and dash or simply install a brake line lock. Press down hard on brakes, flip the toggle and the brakes remain engaged until you release the toggle.

Ok I like the jamming the brakes-I can do that with everything else I do and it makes sense-I also like this hydraulic switch-probably dealer installed? For those of you who were freaked over the heavy trailer endorsement-has to be over 4600kg (10120)-if you are over then you write a test and get a learners lic for 1 year and then if you have no medical impediments you take a test(with the trailer). Sounds like a tax grab and a lot of trouble. Air brakes are another ball of wax. Interesting read of the B.C. lic requirments!!!

Truck in neutral as soon as trailer starts down ramp. Big clumsy boots can get tangled up between brake and gas pedal. Truck in park,parking brake on , wheel chock in place, bar or 2x4 jammed between seat and brake engaging front brakes.

OK I like all that-I'm a little reluctant on the truck in neutral-I see your point and I'm trying hard to come up with a reason not to like it- anybody got a reason not to put the truck in neutral-other than you may be riding your brakes down the ramp!

This is how this accident happened,I know the guy.He had the truck in reverse and his boot got jammed under the brake and it touched the gas pedal. If the truck had been in neutral the engine would have raced but he would not ended up in the water.

A couple of seasons ago at the Gold River launch I witnessed a guy backing his truck and boat down the ramp, when all of sudden he floored the truck in reverse- same thing foot slipped off of brake and onto the gas pedal. Well...the whole thing slammed into the concrete wall of the ramp and continued into the water. The trailer was wrapped around the truck. He managed as the truck was sinking to put it into drive and the 4wd carried him out of the water. The entire truck, trailer, and boat was toast!! He is lucky to be alive. Crazy to see that happen! He was an older gentleman, brand new truck and never launched there before, his foot simply slipped off the brake and onto the gas. Total nightmare.

i saw a guy once with an old dodge camper van with a slant 6 accidentally soak it to the carpets doing this. the poor thing didn't have to power to get back out. still the best engine dodge ever made.

Back