Should I put a 200hp on my boat?

Yeah, I can see what you're thinking. This has been sitting in my brain for a while now and I think that during the right conditions you could have a decent bump in speed (say from 12kn to 18kn). Obviously you don't have to go full throttle everywhere so with that in mind when you have following seas you'd back off the throttle.

As @Wild Bill mentioned above, different engines have different gear ratios and correspondingly take different props. The Yamaha F200 4-cyl takes the smallest diameter prop in the 200hp class (15"), so this would be my last choice of engine on your boat. The Suzuki DF200 4cyl takes a 16" diameter prop (comparatively huge!!) and has a big reduction ratio....probably a good choice for you. The middle ground of gear ratio is occupied by the Merc 3.4L V6 which can take up to a 16" prop (like the QuickSilver Enertia ECO prop). The Merc 3.4L V6 also weighs less than the Suzuki. The Honda BF225 has recently been revised but it's way too heavy. I know Suzuki has been gaining quite a bit of market share over the last few years, but this seems primarily due to price. The dealer network still seems sparse.

If I were in your shoes and planning to keep the boat I'd be considering the Merc 3.4L V6 in the 225hp rating for my #1 choice.

So funny. Thats the exact one I was looking at. Same weight as the 200hp.

Thanks again for all the time and insight. I really appreciate everyone's comments!

I will have a couple more threads coming up.

Paul

What does your insurance company say?
I haven't talked to them yet, but was going to call them after to update the motor values. Might be a good idea to let them know what I'm planning on doing though.

Thanks

So its happening this week............. :)

Got a great deal on used 2012 Evenrude 200 with low hours and after selling my 115hp merc I'm only gonna be into it for about for about 1/3 of the cost of a new motor. Seems a little safer than spending money on a new motor for essentially what is an experiment. The other bonus as well, is the evenrude 200 is the same weight as my old merc 115, so good for the custom bracket. Anyways, will get some videos and performance info posted once we get it out on the water. Stay tuned and thanks again for all the input. Super stoked!

So its happening this week............. :)

Got a great deal on used 2012 Evenrude 200 with low hours and after selling my 115hp merc I'm only gonna be into it for about for about 1/3 of the cost of a new motor. Seems a little safer than spending money on a new motor for essentially what is an experiment. The other bonus as well, is the evenrude 200 is the same weight as my old merc 115, so good for the custom bracket. Anyways, will get some videos and performance info posted once we get it out on the water. Stay tuned and thanks again for all the input. Super stoked!
Stoked for you. New motor days are awesome. Make sure to let us know how it goes.

So the results are in. Out in a 1 foot chop today.
15 pitch 4 blade stainless on the 200hp evenrude.
3800 rpm - 19knots
3600 rpm 15 knots

Mission accomplished!!!
Wife is stoked!!
So happy we achieved the speed we were after.
Don't need to go any faster as my hull wasn't designed for it ......... but I'm sure on a nice glass day I will see what she do.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!
And thanks to @ship happens for providing all the work and motor.

3800 rpm - 19knots
3600 rpm 15 knots

Mission accomplished!!!
Wife is stoked!!
Don't need to go any faster as my hull wasn't designed for it ......... but I'm sure on a nice glass day I will see what she do.

That’s awesome man congrats

3800 rpm - 19knots
3600 rpm 15 knots

Mission accomplished!!!
Wife is stoked!!

You bet Paul. Awsome rig and fun project. Enjoyed working with you on that and well see you out there.

Funny story. @ship happens was also part of a repower on a custuom build. Identical hull as mine (semi displacement) but outfitted with a custom top. He put a 300hp on it and wanted to do 30+ knots. Couldn't get over 22 knots without crazy listing, and virtually unsafe control. So he added 1600 lbs of lead in the stern and now can do 30 knots.
Screenshot_20210329-112234_Messages.jpg

Heres a short video of the boat doing 18 knots at 3900rpm, trimmed out perfectly on a flat calm day. Hit 22 knots at 4200 but still haven't done WOT as the hulls not designed for such speeds. Super happy with the evenrude and the upgrade.

Thanks again for all the input between the multiple threads on this guys!

Back