Shipping Nootka salmon/halibut to Winnipeg via St Jeans Campbell River ?

Golfn1

:confused: I've researched this topic a fair bit on this board and understand the regs but can't find the easiest way to do this. Mods if this should be in the general section, please move.

Ok so my upcoming trip to Nootka may produce some springs or halibut or ling cod or rock fish etc..
We are flying AC out of Nanaimo. We are fishing on the 27th and leaving VI on the 8th of August.

I think the cheapest way would be to fly it back with us or have St Jeans process it all and ship it, seems expensive.
Has anyone come across this before, a large delay between catching and shipping ?

Anyone tried to bring fish aboard in coolers on a commercial flight like AC ?

We are conservationalists at heart and if we thought for one second the fish could not be consumed and possibly wasted and spoiled we would take a pic and release it.

Is getting the fish dropped at St Jean's cannery and having them prepare it and have it all properly marked for DFO inspection the best way or is there a more economical way people ship their catches half way across Canada. Just trying to prepare before I leave.

Any advice greatly appreciated ! :D

If you get your fish vacuum packed and frozen you can take it back in a cooler as baggage. Have taken fish from bc to Ontario several times successfully. Although it's usually at Christmas time so it's even cold in the cab from the airport.

Sports shops in Campbell River sell styro boxes with a waxed cardboard box that is airline approved. Do not put ice in the cooler with the fish. Make sure the fish are bagged in plastic of vaccuum sealed. Airlines will take as extra luggage and charge accordingly. The resorts on the coast due this for their guests. Put your name,number of fish and species on the box, as well as your name and adress. Tape the box well.

Lots of people find it's less hassle to just have it put into cans and trucked to wherever-it'll be the Best canned Salmon you ever ate.

Also think of what you'll do with when you end up back home with a huge slab of rock hard Salmon-either invite everyone you know over for dinner or get out the jig saw to cut it into more manageable portions.

Its not expensive at all. Just take claim your baggage as meat, and pay for it accordingly upon arrival. I brought a bunch of salmon to work with me up to fort mac last summer. easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just give your airline a call to confirm the procedure before hand.

Ok got it!

Hopefully the fish stays frozen. Its 1.5 hours drive to Nanaimo another 1.5 before departure, 7-8 hours of layovers and flying, 1.5 hours to wait for baggage and drive home. Could be almost 12 hours, door to door.

Dry ice is not a good option door to door ? How about ice packs or frozen water bottles in the wax styro box ?

If it's flash frozen and wrapped in newspaper, 12 hours won't be a problem.
St Jeans produces good product, but it's very expensive.

X2 cooler sealed with duct tape. Take in as baggage. Brought a cooler full of yellowfin tuna from puerto Vallarta. Was frozen solid after the flight and drive home. Sealing it is key.

There is a regulation as to how much dry ice you are permitted, not much as I recall. The insullated box works well. St Jeans takes a while to process your fish, a couple of months is normal, and then ship it. Have you given them a call- 1-866-754-3191? It sounds like you may be using a charter for your fishing adventure, I would think that they may have run into this before. Have a great time here in BC.

Ok got it!

Hopefully the fish stays frozen. Its 1.5 hours drive to Nanaimo another 1.5 before departure, 7-8 hours of layovers and flying, 1.5 hours to wait for baggage and drive home. Could be almost 12 hours, door to door.

Dry ice is not a good option door to door ? How about ice packs or frozen water bottles in the wax styro box ?

Frozen salmon in packages packed tight, wrapped tight in newspaper and in a cooler is certainly good for 12 hours and quite a bit more. No dry ice needed!

Ok got it!

Golfn......."ex-Winnipegger" here. :p Have a great trip. If the lodge will cut and pack for you then get it done from them as opposed to St. Jeans as it will be notably less in $$$. St Jeans will take quite some time to process your fish especially if you want any of it smoked. Then you are paying quite a bit for processing...AND paying to ship it out to the Peg.

As was said earlier.....the crappy thing is if you have to ship them back whole. Get the springs cut into 1/2 or 1 lb portions so every time you want a feed of salmon you don't have to pull out a full side and feed the neighbors or eat salmon salad sandwiches for the next 5 days. One thing we usually do with coho unless they are larger is just leave them as the two sides and freeze.

If you want to take some fish to a smoker in Winnipeg it will likely be cheaper. Figure out if you DO want smoked salmon and leave those fish pretty much whole or sided out. Smokery can use frozen fish and let them cut and package the product for you.

As for "staying frozen"......as others have said Styrofoam cooler.....cardboard box and taped up very well will be good; no need to worry about ice packs or dry ice for 12 hours assuming your fish IS frozen. Had a buddy down from Smithers fishing with us in Tofino 2 years ago. We picked our fish up in Tofino around 9am and his was "packed for travel" for him as noted above. We drove across the Island....ferry into Vancouver and he stayed at my place that night. First flight out in the morning heading north and he was home around 11am ish......fish was still about 85% frozen which is completely fine to refreeze and no concerns after about 28 hours in the cooler. Add to the fact yours will be in pretty cold storage in the cargo hold of the plane you will be completely fine.

Wax coated cardboard box with the cooler inside I believe IS a necessity for AC and WestJet. Anybody who processes fish will be able to provide you the service of packing for "travel".

Have a great trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back