Shimano Convergence (black) Rod - 10'6" MH

bigbruce

Crew Member
Came home today with what I thought was a pretty good deal on a Shimano rod (69.95 at Nikka). Stopped by Fish Assassins to drop of some stuff and he laughed and told me it was going to break. So my question is - how many of you have this rod, and how many have broken?

Yes I told and showed bigbruce the differance in the colors. From what I understand the newer black Convergence has an issue of snapping at the ferrel. I personally own the older brown ones which you can still find stocked at some stores. They are only mediums and I hammer on them all the time and after buying 3+ cases of these rods in the last 15 years my friends and I have yet to break one. They have been used to reel in 60+ lb chinooks and halibut bicatch up round 80lbs.

I personally know people with the new black Convergence's that have had many issues with them breaking at the ferrel some of which the rods have since been upgraded to other brands. It really stinks as I really have liked Convergence rods till these black ones started breaking.

Not to highjack the thread but I bought an ugly stick 9' medium and second time out I let the downrigger down and then started to load the road up (reeling down for those not in the know) and broke below where they join. Any one else having problum with the make of rod as well??

I had one break at the tip with little effort...
I don'y like the bend at mid section where the rod joins either.
but hey, what do you expect for $69 ??

In fairness, $69 was the sale price. The regular price was $100. But you raise an interesting point, RS. I usually find that the old "you get what you pay for" rule applies in most things. So what should someone expect to pay for a decent fishing rod?

I dunno....I have two Shimano TDR's...bought them 13 years ago for 45 bucks each new.

Still going strong.......

Caught tons of fish on 'em over the years....

Will catch tons more......

Price isn't everything....and you don't automatically get something good because you paid a lot of money for it.

There are pricey lemons in everything everywhere these days.

My reels........2 Daiwa M-One Plus. Paid about 50 bucks apiece for them at least 8 years ago. Before that I used the ordinary M-One's for about 8 years.........before that I used Alvey and Peetz and Seaking. At the time Peetz's were a dime a dozen in thrift stores and pawn shops.....nobody wanted them anymore.

Daiwa's are still going strong...caught lots of fish on them....will catch lots more......

Only thing I could never figure out is why they rate the Shimano 4000gt Plus a better reel than the Daiwa.....when the Daiwa has 7 drag washers in it and the Shimano only has 1. They both hold the same amount of line.

In fairness, $69 was the sale price. The regular price was $100. But you raise an interesting point, RS. I usually find that the old "you get what you pay for" rule applies in most things. So what should someone expect to pay for a decent fishing rod?

Usually 100+ for a quality rod. For me all that matters is the warranty. I seem to break rods all the time these days. Maybe I'm rougher with them now or maybe they don't make em like they used to.

I prefer to pay 100+ for an HMX or Trophy XL and get it replaced under warranty if it breaks than go cheaper and not get the fine touch of the good rods. That being said I've had CDN tire rods last 3 years without breaking and broke an HMX within 30 days so...

I dunno....I have two Shimano TDR's...bought them 13 years ago for 45 bucks each new.
I laughed a when i read that , that's about how long i have had my Shimano TDR and GT2000 been going strong ever since. And a it's heading out tomorrow round noon with 4oo0gt on the other side..Hat's off to Shimano for making rods and reels that can stand up so well at an entry level price!

Had terrible luck with the Convergence's.Not the new ones either.This was back in the early 90's. Went through 3 of
them in one summers fishing. The top sections would just blow up in your hands when you were tied into a big spring.
Dunno if it was just a bad batch of blanks or what,but after returning the third one back to the store of purchase I
decided they were junk and changed brands completely. I'm now back with Shimano Techniums and love em!

Back