Shimano 4000Gt Mooching Reel...

Anyone using the new "improved" 4000GT ?
Wonder if Shimano has resolved the initial problems with this reel. :confused:

Anyone using the new "improved" 4000GT ?
Wonder if Shimano has resolved the initial problems with this reel. :confused:

yes...I have two, one of the bad ones and one of the improved ones. The bad one was sent back by Harbour Chandler and upgraded free of charge.
I am very happy with both of them.

What is the problem with the old ones? I have 3 of them that are about 5ish years old and they are champions and I've never once had a single issue that's not user based. My buddy recently purchased one of the new ones and the drag is very different -- have to crank it several turns to tighten where on mine a quarter turn sets the drag up.

Only problem i am having with mine is that it is not seeing any seatime.. other then that the new 4000gt has worked flawlessly, same as my 2000gt, would love a fancy new aluminum mooching reel but i cant see buying one when these Shimano's work flawlessly.

Terry, they changed over to a new look about 5 years ago, and initially had some problems with the drag washer

Ah gotcha -- so it's the new and improved ones that have the issue? My old ugly reliables are good??? I am very impressed with these reels -- they take a ton of abuse and other than a seasonal squirt of WD40 and a respool just keep on ticking.

I have one of the "bad" ones from the new generation. The drag is complete garbarge, I have a second one which has work flawlessy so far. I am debating sending the reel into Shimano to have it serviced but they want 25bucks plus you have to send it using registered mail/insured mail. With all that costs I thinks better to just buy a new one when then come on sale.

Are these considered 'one way' or 'two way' drag systems on this reel?

They are one way. I bought one lasr year at Nikka and it sucked big time. I took it back thinking I had a bad one, so I tried about a dozen more they had in the store and they all sucked. I love my old 20 year old shimanos and I hope they sort them out. I'm using a Daiwa as my 4th reel right now that I don't like. I bought a trophy I haven't tried yet. It sounds like I have to do work on it just to use it.

You can't beat the old shimanos for price, performance and reliability. Too bad they messed with them.

kinda funny you say they suck because the only difference between the 4000gt and the old 2000gt is that the 4000gt holds more line and has nicer handles.. they are virtually the same reel, i bought a 4000gt and it works great just like my 2000gt, a friend has a 4000gt and the drag doesn't set properly.. glad i have never had issues with either of mine and i have been using the 2000gt for 12 years with no issues..

My friend bought a 4000 at Chandlers the other day. When I read this thread I compared the drag to the older 2000 Lipripper gave to my daughter a few months ago to the 4000. The drag on the 2000 Is FAR superior.

kinda funny you say they suck because the only difference between the 4000gt and the old 2000gt is that the 4000gt holds more line and has nicer handles.. they are virtually the same reel, i bought a 4000gt and it works great just like my 2000gt, a friend has a 4000gt and the drag doesn't set properly.. glad i have never had issues with either of mine and i have been using the 2000gt for 12 years with no issues..

I wasn't comparing 2000gts and 4000gts but i do have both. They've made the 4000gts with the one way drag system for well over twenty years and the old ones are great, the new ones not so much. Try fishing with both. You'll notice the difference right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine retrofitted as well but I still don't like them. My old ones are way better. I like the reels, the handles, the stainless rim for palming etc. just hate the drag.

Has anyone tried retrofitting one themselves with a different drag, more washers, etc.?

I had mine retrofitted as well but I still don't like them. My old ones are way better. I like the reels, the handles, the stainless rim for palming etc. just hate the drag.

Has anyone tried retrofitting one themselves with a different drag, more washers, etc.?

Funny you bring that up I just rebuilt my old 4000's a couple weeks ago and they handle like new. Had the opportunity to play around with a new 4000 and soon I am going to fit it with the old style drag washers and throw out the new style drag cause they are crap.

I wasn't comparing 2000gts and 4000gts but i do have both. They've made the 4000gts with the one way drag system for well over twenty years and the old ones are great, the new ones not so much. Try fishing with both. You'll notice the difference right away.
weird part is i don't see a difference between the two drag systems, both have worked flawlessly for me, hope you figure it out bud for 100 bucks i don't think you can get a better mooching reel, i guess mine just hasn't F'd up yet.....My boat has been doing enough of that guess my reel just hasn't caught up..

Totally agree with you. If they've got them sorted out then you can't buy a better reel for $200.00 never mind a hundred. Meanwhile I'd be up too buying a couple of old 4000gts if anybodies looking to pair down there tackle fixation. Heck, I might be willing to work off a brand new Trophy QR in the deal but I would want a little sumthin on top.

Back