Sherwood Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
Was in sherwood the other day taking a look at the used boats on site. Ended up talking with the used boat manager Roger. Seemed like a bit of a hard guy to get a straight answer from. anyone have any advise or expierience dealing with the sherwood sales team?

Cheers

I've never bought a boat from Roger but I worked with him during some of my time as a director with the Pink Salmon Festival. He kept the books for the society for maybe the last 3 years before i moved on. I think he is still involved. He was always a decent guy to talk to at meetings and i still say hi when I see him at the dealership.

Seemed like a nice enough guy, we had a few laughs and shot the ****. Maybe he just didn't take me seriously since i'm a young guy at a dealership

Absolutely nothing against Sherwood. But Id say buy privately. Why pay Sherwood a big percentage when there are so many boats for sale. If I were buying a boat and couldn't get a straight answer from the seller, I'd walk. When you are buying from a place like Sherwood, realize that you are paying a premium. For paying more you should get absolute piece of mind. If your not getting that, go elsewhere. Just my opinion.

i have bought two boats from Sherwood over the past 4 years. Great organization to deal with. They do what they say they will do and follow through on any promises. Even after the sale when minor glitches have popped up with my boat, their after sale follow up and service has been fantastic.

Maybe he just didn't take me seriously since i'm a young guy at a dealership

nothing pisses me off more than this, I had that happen at galleon marine, so I bought a trophy instead.you can't judge a young guy. who know's if he has the money or not . a sale is a sale. I guess business is so good that he can pick and choose is customers. I would agree with the dick, buy somewhere else, he does not want your business.

I am guessing he has seen his fair share of tire kickers, I know which boat you are looking at and I would try again if you are really interested. I would think coming back again would show that you aren't just there window shopping. As long as we wasn't a total as$hole I would go back if it is the right boat.

Not being taken seriously because you are young lasts much too short a time. I was treated the same way a long time ago.

I bought a new boat from them in 03 and again in 08. I never dealt with Roger so I can't comment. I had a larger boat on trade the first time around an learnt my lesson dealing with he owner on that deal. On the second purchase I sold the other boat privately and ordered the boat when the dollar was strong in 08. I have nothing negative to say about my buying experience there but nothing to rave about either. Bottom line was I wanted new and they had what I wanted. I have dealt with their parts and service departments and they have been excellent IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys,
even after leaving a deposit on a boat I was getting the youngun treatment, but hey! i guess thats what i am so i'll embrace it! I'll post up how the rest of it goes if i do buy the boat. Sea trial next week.
Personally i have always bought privatly as well but they just happen to have what I'm looking for.

I tried to get a response by phone and by email on serious inquiries on a used boat. I was ignored and asked to speak to the manager on the next contact. He called, late and apologized and promised to get back to me....Then he forgot. With what I have heard from many regarding their bad service/repairs, and overbilling, I won't deal with them again.

Several months ago I bought a brand new Karavan trailer from them.Just recently I unfortunately got into a bit of a fender bender with it and needed a few parts to repair it. Called them up,and basically got the runaround as to
availability of parts,and time frame to get them. They basically told me it could take months. Went through the
paperwork that came with the trailer and found the name of the wholesale distributor in Chilliwack. Called them up
and they have the parts coming within a 2-3 week time period. I'm sure they could have done the same thing but
didn't bother. Not very good service in my opinion!!

There motto is 'SHERWOOD IF WE COULD" this from a former employee LOL

I think all dealers could be blamed for charging large when they have a product that is exclusive to them and your options are to travel out of town to get the same thing. The internet has changed that and I think all retailers (not just marine shops) are having to price products a little more conservatively now.

Striper 90k all said and done from Sherwood back in 2007 camano marine in US landed after all fees and taxes 65k for the exact same boat. They gave me every excuse first shipping taxes duties fees import fees blah blah blah. I know the inside out of importing good from the US and I had an answer for each of his excuses. In the end the salesman got mad and just said " well we know what we pay for boats" I had an answer for that one too Just to see there reaction I offered them to go buy this boat for me and I will pay them $3500 ontop. They declined. My bud bought a boat from them after I told him not too and he has nothing but headaches and hassles from day 1 too many problems to list that the dealer doesn't fix or has no clue how to fix we had to fix and tell him what needs to be done 2 years and ***** still not fixed Lol now he wishes he never bought a boat from them. Just my 2 cents . I'm sure people have had great experiences but mine and my buds just bad and thats enough to keep me away. In the future .

I've bought there several times (parts) and found them helpful. I also called them from overseas once asking a about a problem with my boat in Spain which they were very helpful on. Overall I'd have to say my experience with them is good.

I bought a used boat that they had regularly serviced, but wasn't on their lot. The owner had it in for its annual checkup and servicing and while it was in I paid an additional fee to have the staff do a pre sales inspection. Not sure what they checked because within a few trips I had both the alternator and power steering belts fail. Both my batteries needed replacing because as the mechanic said "some fool put in two starter batteries.", I asked if they had any warranty left and one guy told me batteries aren't warranted , I called BS and the senior mechanic stepped in and said yes they were but whoever put them in forgot to punch out the dates. I turned the batteries around and both had Sherwood stickers on them.. I also found the stabilizers were hooked up backwards and a few other things I would have thought an inspection should have picked up but didn't, so I have no faith in their inspections
I think the thing that peed me off the most and ensured I'd never go back was the attitude of the guys who pocketed about a grand between me and the previous owner for servicing and checking the boat,yet felt no responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a new boat from them.
Love the boat but wouldnt buy again from this dealership no service follow up to speak of on any of our calls

I know Rodger from working with him at Sherwood many years ago, he's a good guy. As has already been said he deals with a lot of riff raff coming through the lot so until he gets to know you it might seem he isn't taking you for real.

Everyone that goes there for repairs or service feels they should be priority, and that the techs should be able to fix issues everytime perfectly and instantly for cheap. Well if it were that easy, they wouldn't have brought their boat there for service in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back