shawnigan lake ever catch any big trout?????

luckytime

ive caught trout in shawnigan lake up to about 18 inches theres got to be bigger ones than that in there ..have marked big fish on sounder but have never got a big one anyone catch any large trout out of there

lucky time think big trout all the time and hold your tounge right while fishing theres big trout in almost every lake on the island.I think 18 inches is a 2.5 year old trout .i fished the lake around townsite 30 years ago,I don't remember anything about the lake afer the girls took my cloathing from the dock and left me naked after dark.girls sent friends back 1 hour later.rough times bites on at 2:31 tpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lived there for 5-6 years and have friends there who have been there all their lives. An 18' trout in that lake is a
respectable size.A buddy of mine helps run one of the derbies there and the derby winners are usually in the 2-3 lb.
range.I remember one derby about 10 years or so ago that was won with a 4 lber and that was a record for that derby.
I'm sure there must be the odd hog in there but it seems the trout grow very slowly in that lake.

There was one bigger than that but it wasn't allowed to be entered by a few local kids up here in that derby. That was a believe 7 years ago... I am pretty sure it was over 6 or 7 lbs..caused quite the stir up here and made the papers over it. They never were apologized to at all.

I couldn't believe that actually happened. So their are big ones around .. not plentiful but they are in there... You also have to understand people up here don't really advertise.... One thing the lake has vs others though one hell of a bass fishery though..

Here a test gill net the shawnigan kids did a while ago..... One of the big problems here is the perch. You can see the sizes in pics....

http://www.shawnigan.ca/podium/default.aspx?t=204&id=678768

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link spring velocity.......interesting that no bass were caught in the gill net....I know in other lakes with perch the trout gorge on them and grow quite large..was wondering if same was true in shawnigan .....did notice that one of the trout they dissected was full of perch ....I have marked some large fish in very deep water in shawnigan..... in other lakes I have marked fish and caught 4pound trout on my sounder the deep fish in shawnigan show up much larger than the 3 to 4 pound fish I catch in other lakes........ plus in deeper water sounder is on different depth range so 3 to 4 pound fish wont mark as big as it would on a shallower depth range....and the fish are definitely bigger

2-3lbs is a good Shawnigan trout. The bass fishery is incredible, 4lbs common.

fished once there in heatwave.....bassfishing is champ on this lake. lost a monster bass over 5 lbs that put up a solid fight!

Back