Shawnigan lake Bass Derby Cancelled

KCW

The annual Black Swan Pub Bass derby (June 21) has been cancelled due to some negative feedback because it was a Kill derby. I realize the lake has a great smallmouth bass fishery but are they not an invasive species like the sunfish,perch,etc.

In derbys past they used to have catch and release.They'd have 3 or 4 weigh stations set up around the lake with
special weigh bags and digital scales.In order to qualify you fish had to be witnessed swimming away freely after the
weigh in.In order to accomplish this people had to keep the bass in a cooler full of water from time it was caught until
reaching the weigh station.When fisheries officers found out about this practice,they disallowed it.The reason they gave
was it was the cooler was concidered a live well,which are totally illegal in fresh water in B.C.

There were two bass derbies here in the Okanagan that were given special permission for the use of live wells, don't see a problem with it as long as you see the fish swim away and all wells are checked.

I think you'll find the Skaha bass derby is stalled because of the livewell issue. They had an exemption that enabled them to run the inaugural event in 2012 but were unsuccessful in getting it for 2013. Not sure if there will be a 2014.

Never have been a supporter of this derby as its not a fundraiser that gives back money to freshwater society. There also was two young guys disqualified that should have won the trout derby years back. I used to work with there Dad and it did make the paper one year. I know it rubbed people a little the wrong way. I think if it was made more a fundraising derby the result would possibly be different. Many locals ( I am neutral) I know won't participate in it.... When they have it usually lots of different guys from mainland go. I am not sure the derby would really dent the bass population...

Last edited by a moderator:
Never have been a supporter of this derby as its not a fundraiser that gives back money to freshwater society.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect proceeds from a derby featuring bass to go to the FFSBC.

The populations at Shawnigan are good because the habitat is excellent. If the "invasive" species were removed from that lake, FFSBC couldn't support it through triploid stocking. Just look at the stocking history at Shawnigan since the 1900's -- it's absurd. At one point Atlantic Salmon were being stocked lol

This weekend I saw the saddest mayfly hatch ever on shawnigan, must have been over twenty lol

Makes one thankful for the 'ignorance' of our early stocking programs eh?.

Back