Shawnigan Lake Trout

KCW

My daughter works for the Black Swan Pub and they are having a trout derby in a few weeks. So Some guy told her girls can't fish, so she took offense . She knows how to run her own gear salmon fishing and has caught her share of steelhead. Anyways she wants to go in the derby with a bunch of her friends. Not much of a lake guy anymore , so was thinking of rapallas of the downriggers . Is there any good size trout in the lake, like Langford or elk lake.

The trout in Shawnigan are for the most part pretty small. A 2 lb. fish is exceptional.You do get the odd one bigger,and
I,ve heard of fish in the 4 lb. range,but they're far and few between.The local hatchery in Duncan dumps several thousand fish in there every year,with quite a few being catchable size.Most guys use willow leaf or ford fender gang
trolls with a big dew worm and do well that way.Hope this helps.

Another go to for stocked trout are size 2 or 3 Lyman Plugs. Any color works, it's the action that gets the fish to take, bigger fish usually as they are more predatory.

You can also try a silver deep diving Rapala, with a black back or a 2" Count down Rapala in Brown Trout.

Good luck to your daughter, hope she shows the guys how it's done!

Thanks for the replies. I have lots of freshwater plugs that I used to use in Cowichan lake, they are all 4" or larger so I will get some smaller ones. Will not use a gang troll, tried that in my youth and did not find them sporting.

Ya,I hate gang trolls as well,but seems to be what works well in that lake.Maybe try the gang troll like a dummy flasher
off the downrigger with a small plug or spoon above it.Might work.

My daughter came in second 150$ and her friend 3 rd 100$ some happy faces . Plus it was my daughter's 23 birthday . Used Rappalas in the morning and cut up an old gangtroll down to 2 blades and that worked later in the day. 2 of the bigger cutties were just under 2lbs and had perch( 2-4") in them. We also caught a small Kokanee and I can remember there was a good fishery for them 20 plus years ago.

Back