SFI-Open House Victoria

Derby

Crew Member
Attention All Sport Fisherman

Sport Fishing Open House

Victoria
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Four Points Sheraton - Langford
829 McCallum Road, Victoria, BC V9B 6W6

We want to hear from you!

Topics will include issues that affect you and sport fishing opportunities in southern Vancouver Island and the West Coast. Discussion will include Chinook, halibut, catch monitoring, certified guides and more.

In an effort to gather more input from anglers, sport fishing operators and service providers in the Victoria area, the Sport Fishing Institute of BC is hosting an open house. The intent is to provide an overview of activities, provide relevant information and gain feedback from you.

This is an informal session open to anyone interested

FREE to attend - All Welcome!
Visit www.sportfishing.bc.ca or call 250.661.5414 for more information

This has no connection to your local SFAC meeting...a SFI just wanting to make sure all the infomation is out there for the public & to get some feed back on what you would like to see

SFI is not taking over. They have and will continue to be a useful pipeline between the rec-sector (primarily the guides/lodges and tackle industry) and DFO.

The SFAB process however, is a SHAM staged by DFO in an attempt to placate us and convince us that they actually listen to us.

Clearly, the process is NOT working.

Little Hawk-- I can understand being jaded.. but this statement The SFAB process however, is a SHAM staged by DFO in an attempt to placate us and convince us that they actually listen to us. Clearly, the process is NOT working. is NOT correct. Sure, if you focus on halibut or JDS chinook I can understand the dissolution. The Area 14 SFAC, in spite of all the bashing from those who really have no clue about what we do , plays a big part in opening new fishing opportunities for anglers.

If DFO Science had implemented the RCAs in this area, the way they first proposed,,there would have been a much greater impact on us. Our SFAC provided workable alternatives. We pushed for and got more generous coho (marked and unmarked) in terminal areas. We got the ineffective sport fishing boundary removed off the Big Q. With our push, crabbing in Comox Harbour is Recreational and First Nations only. The commercials have been removed. We were amonst the first SFACs to push for a receive a freshwater opportunity to fish for chum salmon........and that is only some of our accomplishments....

Did we "win" on halibut??? No-- but given that the commercials were in Federal Court last week suing the Minister of Fisheries for re-allocating their 3% to us, we must be having some effect. And it aint over yet. Thats why the call from our chair of the Area 14 SFAC to start thinking about alternatives or improvements we as anglers want to see in the 2013 season.

I hope that when all of you do attend your SFAC meetings before the South Coast meeting of the SFAB , you provide them with REALISTIC options that can be put forward to DFO

Little Hawk-- I can understand being jaded.. but this statement The SFAB process however, is a SHAM staged by DFO in an attempt to placate us and convince us that they actually listen to us. Clearly, the process is NOT working. is NOT correct. Sure, if you focus on halibut or JDS chinook I can understand the dissolution. The Area 14 SFAC, in spite of all the bashing from those who really have no clue about what we do , plays a big part in opening new fishing opportunities for anglers.

If DFO Science had implemented the RCAs in this area, the way they first proposed,,there would have been a much greater impact on us. Our SFAC provided workable alternatives. We pushed for and got more generous coho (marked and unmarked) in terminal areas. We got the ineffective sport fishing boundary removed off the Big Q. With our push, crabbing in Comox Harbour is Recreational and First Nations only. The commercials have been removed. We were amonst the first SFACs to push for a receive a freshwater opportunity to fish for chum salmon........and that is only some of our accomplishments....

Did we "win" on halibut??? No-- but given that the commercials were in Federal Court last week suing the Minister of Fisheries for re-allocating their 3% to us, we must be having some effect. And it aint over yet. Thats why the call from our chair of the Area 14 SFAC to start thinking about alternatives or improvements we as anglers want to see in the 2013 season.

I hope that when all of you do attend your SFAC meetings before the South Coast meeting of the SFAB , you provide them with REALISTIC options that can be put forward to DFO

Nicely said.... :)

My recent understanding is that DFO will no longer pay for the meeting room needed to host the Victoria Sport Fishing Advisory Committee
(SFAC) meeting and, in fact, do not want to hear from hundreds of angry anglers. The next meeting of the Victoria SFAC is scheduled to
take place in a couple weeks and will involve a small group by invitation only. That's the way it is!!!

SFI is not taking over. They have and will continue to be a useful pipeline between the rec-sector (primarily the guides/lodges and tackle industry) and DFO.

The SFAB process however, is a SHAM staged by DFO in an attempt to placate us and convince us that they actually listen to us.

Clearly, the process is NOT working.

1000% correct - the process does work, and is open to everyone to participate. DFO does listen to input advanced through the SFAB process. The more people we can get involved the better - please get out, get involved and get the information.

My recent understanding is that DFO will no longer pay for the meeting room needed to host the Victoria Sport Fishing Advisory Committee
(SFAC) meeting and, in fact, do not want to hear from hundreds of angry anglers. The next meeting of the Victoria SFAC is scheduled to
take place in a couple weeks and will involve a small group by invitation only. That's the way it is!!!

Really?

Lorne

I hear you Cuba and I am glad for any headway you guys have made up Island; forgive me if my inference came across like I was dissing other regions of which I know far less about.

Things are truly different down here and we are constantly kicked-around by the Fraser FN and commie-halibut lobby. We have suffered successive cut-backs on our fishery for many yrs. running with little real-science to justify DFO's 'Trickle-down Fishery Management Doctrine'.

It's all becoming incredibly political.

As has been previously mentioned, the relationship between the South Island rec-fishing community and the SFAB is about to take yet another turn for the worse.

I am not the only one pounding the drum these days.

It is all about money!
DFO has decided they will not pay, so you get ahold of your politicians and raise hell or raise the money from members.
You want input, then you need to help.

Great invitation only with some select group? That is totally awesome. Count me out for any more meetings then I give up. I will be sending a letter to the committee I am not impressed. I have attended lots of these meetings, and that is a huge disappointment, and a step back from the process.

I support the efforts of all groups who represent the angling community toward improving fish abundance, our fisheries and better access to the common property fish resources.

I plan to attend the SFI Open House on the 13th and look forward to the dialogue.

Regarding the increasing rumours circulating about the Victoria SFAB Committee meeting this fall please visit Important Meetings, Derbies and SFBC Get Togethers for a detailed thread posted there.

Cuba Libre - re your reply to Little Hawk ... while I know you guys work with DFO closely up in Courtenay Comox and that's a good thing, the Victoria area has faced massive harm from DFO politics, policy and management measures. 15 years ago Area 19 and 20 had a vibrant year-round fishery with no restrictions (except a 1 mth hali closure). Now we have 7 months closed to halibut, 5 months with severe chinook restrictions stretching into mid-summer, year round restrictions on coho, 1 rockfish a day not 5 anymore, a 5 month lingcod fishery and pulsing for prawns. The 2 pink salmon net pen project groups told to go pound sand and essentially most of the year we catch is fish produced by US Hatcheries. And that's not to mention the creel survey improvement debacle. Is it any wonder the South VI anglers do not feel the love for the SFAB process and DFO any more.

Old Black Dog - Vic SFAB mtg changes are about more than just "no money"

Cheers,

Chris

Victoria SFAB Committee Chair

Chris-- I see your points, but to blame the guys in the SFAB (including yourself) who have worked tirelessly to try to keep DFO from shutting everything down, is not the way to go-- Put the blame where it is deserved.... And just think of the pickle you WOULD have been in without your efforts...

CL - I don't get the impression people are dissing me personally, as most know I go to bat for them. What anglers down here are right fed up with is DFO not doing anything with our motions and generally neglecting our advice, which leads folks to wonder why even bother with the process at all. Dissatisfaction breeds contempt and then the metaphorical guns are aimed rightly or wrongly inside the circle. I still remember the excrement OBD took over your local meeting attendance, time and venue.

The fact that the SFI is holding this meeting to help inform anglers about what the SFI does and hopefully clear the air regarding a lot of the BS that floats around about their acticvities is an extremely helpful turn of events. I intend to attend this session and urge others, especially those "in the business" to attend as well.

In interest of full disclosure, I am proud to say I have been a member of the SFI since its inception, have been on the board of directors on and off since 1997, and am currently on the board of directors. As a "lifer" in the lodge, charter and marina business, I can say with the utmost sincererity that the SFI has done a superb job representing its members, their customers, and the angling community at large at both the political and advisory levels. I won't steal their thunder by discussing the many significant contributions the SFI has made to our fishery, but suffice to say that in my opinion, our access to our fishery would be a shadow of what it currently is if it wasn't for their efforts.

I spoke in an earlier thread about the difference between the SFI and the SFAB and it bears repeating now if you are confused about the roles the two organizations play in the management and representation of our fishery:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?21018-SFI-UP-Date/page6

IMO, in the interest of maintaining reasonable expectations of what each process can and can't do, understanding this difference is important.

On a slightly different subject, I too find it deeply frustrating and disappointing that the SFAB meeting in Victoria has been reduced to a limited attendance. It seems to fly in the face of what a grass roots advisory process is intended to do. I hope that we can discuss this issue at the upcoming SFAB meeting and hopefully find a solution - Victoria is too large and important an angling community to be forced to deal with this type of restriction.

I look forward to the meeting on the 13th, urge all of you to attend and come prepared with all of your questions. There are no secrets, no secret agendas, and the meeting is simply as advertized - an information session about the SFI and how its activities support our fishery and the businesses that make it work.

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
"The SFI is a non-profit society that works on behalf of businesses that support the activity of angling".

I am not a business owner, guide, or lodge owner. I might go to your meeting to hear what you guys have to say, but I believe recreational interests are served better away from the industry. Recreational fishers and business owners have a lot in common, and I have many friends in the industry. But that doesn't mean I favor an entire organization speaking behalf of businesses that doesn't make sense to me. You can call BS, but there are lot of guys I fish with regularly across the island that share the same view. Its not the SFAB fault the meeting stopped its DFO. Lets all wait to see what happens at the meetings.

ME and you would get along well.

Lorne

"The SFI is a non-profit society that works on behalf of businesses that support the activity of angling".

I am not a business owner, guide, or lodge owner. I might go to your meeting to hear what you guys have to say, but I believe recreational interests are served better away from the industry. Recreational fishers and business owners have a lot in common, and I have many friends in the industry. But that doesn't mean I favor an entire organization speaking behalf of businesses that doesn't make sense to me. You can call BS, but there are lot of guys I fish with regularly across the island that share the same view. Its not the SFAB fault the meeting stopped its DFO. Lets all wait to see what happens at the meetings.

The "industry" of which you speak consists of:

- the people who build, sell and maintain your boats, motors, trailers, electronics, downriggers etc.
- the people who manufacture, distribute and sell the tackle and bait you use.
- the people who run the marinas you launch at and the campgrounds you stay at.
- the peolple who operate the charter boats and lodges your neighbors use to access their fish because they don't own a boat.
- and all the people who work for them.

We're a pretty sinister bunch, aren't we? Clearly out to screw our customers (that means you) at every turn:D

I look forward to hearing your rationale as to how, outside of a split fishery quota scenario which most seem to oppose, that the interests of these people clash with the interests of any other angler. In over 20 years of asking that quesion, no one has come up with a rational answer.

Further, the SFI has always had individual angler memberships and many anglers who are not part of the "industry" are active members of the SFI. You may choose to support another group like the BCWF if it suits your needs or fits your profile better. As far as I'm concerned all that matters is that we get active and support our fishery in some way and that we all do it together as a united force. Backstabbing, bitching and infighting will accomplish nothing.

See you on the 13th. I'd love to have a chat with you then.

CP

The "industry" of which you speak consists of:

- the people who build, sell and maintain your boats, motors, trailers, electronics, downriggers etc.
- the people who manufacture, distribute and sell the tackle and bait you use.
- the people who run the marinas you launch at and the campgrounds you stay at.
- the peolple who operate the charter boats and lodges your neighbors use to access their fish because they don't own a boat.
- and all the people who work for them.

We're a pretty sinister bunch, aren't we? Clearly out to screw our customers (that means you) at every turn:D

I look forward to hearing your rationale as to how, outside of a split fishery quota scenario which most seem to oppose, that the interests of these people clash with the interests of any other angler. In over 20 years of asking that quesion, no one has come up with a rational answer.

Further, the SFI has always had individual angler memberships and many anglers who are not part of the "industry" are active members of the SFI. You may choose to support another group like the BCWF if it suits your needs or fits your profile better. As far as I'm concerned all that matters is that we get active and support our fishery in some way and that we all do it together as a united force. Backstabbing, bitching and infighting will accomplish nothing.

See you on the 13th. I'd love to have a chat with you then.

CP

Excellent post. Thank you.

Late reminder ... the Victoria SFI Open House is tonight at 7:00 p.m. in the Four Points Sheraton Hotel in Langford (behind Costco)

I am attending, hope you do too.

Governor

great meeting! love learn and to be part of the solutions and just not sit back and say oh it does no good anyway. its weird how peoples mistrust in dfo seems to be put on these societies or clubs who are trying to make a positive difference for the sport fishing community. You have to play the game.
You dont know unless you go either. It was nothing like I thought it was going to be and encourage anyone reading this not to judge on what some others might think but come and see for yourself. HiveFive just wondering were you the guy in the toque and glasses? Sounds like you had your mind changed abit about what SFI is about.

Back