SFI-Open House Campbell River

Derby

Crew Member
Campbell River
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:00 – 9:00
Campbell River Community Centre
401 11th Ave, Campbell River, BC V9W 4G2

We want to hear from you!

Topics will include issues that affect you and sport fishing opportunities in Campbell River and the West Coast. Discussion will include Coho, Chinook, halibut, catch monitoring, certified guides and more.

In an effort to gather more input from anglers, sport fishing operators and service providers in the Campbell River area, the Campbell River Fishing Guides Association and the Sport Fishing Institute of BC are getting together to host an open house. The intent is to provide an overview of activities, provide relevant information and gain feedback from you.

This is an informal session open to anyone interested

FREE to attend - All Welcome!
Visit www.sportfishing.bc.ca or call 250-923-2236 for more information

Gonna be a busy week.

This on the 14th
my birthday and the local SFAC on th 15th

THen "maybe" go see some of my biggest fans at the one in PA on the 20th

Lorne are you still planning to go up there?
If so ... need a passenger?
Will kick in for fuel.
GLG

I would say its 50/50. I will be attending SFAC the following day 100%.

I will know the day of the 14th if i can swing this aswell. I belive there would be alot of value for me to attend the above.

I will shoot you a pm wednesday morning

Lorne

Halibut fishing ‘shambles’ to get an airing

By Brian Kieran - Campbell River Mirror
Published: November 08, 2012 3:00 PM
Updated: November 08, 2012 3:09 PM
The head of the Campbell River Fishing Guides Association says the halibut fishery is “in a shambles” and he is hoping the public wants to learn more about the issue at a sports fishing open house here next week.
Association Chair Harry MacDonald says: “It is super important that the public get involved. The government has given 85 per cent of the halibut fishery to commercial fishermen. These fish belong to all Canadians not just the commercial fishermen.”
The open house, organized by the guides and the Sport Fishing Institute of BC (SFI), is Wednesday, Nov. 14 at the Campbell River Community Centre from 7 to 9 p.m.
MacDonald says he is expecting Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) representatives to be there and he hopes sports fishing enthusiasts and the public raise other issues as well such as “why they won’t give us any wild Coho to keep.”
One of the presenters at the open house will be SFI executive director Owen Bird. “Hopefully we’ll have a good dialogue,” he says. “Halibut allocation will certainly be talked about.”
The SFI – which represents the whole sport fishery sector, not just guides and lodges – was recently granted responder status in a Federal Court hearing that was launched by a group of commercial halibut quota holders who oppose DFO’s decision to increase the allocation to the recreational sector from 12 to 15 per cent.
The October hearing and judicial review in Vancouver before Federal Court Justice Donald Rennie was “an interesting one and very relevant to our sector,” Bird says.
“On the surface it is a complaint and claim by commercial quota holders who believe that the original 12 per cent allocation was set in stone versus DFO which maintains that under the Fisheries Act allocation can be amended at any time. The hearing and complaint allowed the judge to consider some of the broader issues surrounding public ownership of the fisheries resource ... and the extent to which fish can become private property before they are caught,” Bird says.
The SFI asked the court to consider a number of questions including how it is that government can implement a halibut leasing model that transfers fish between quota holders who don’t actually fish to lodge owners or charter boat operators who don’t actually fish.
Justice Rennie has reserved his decision.

It will be an excellent meeting. There are a number of issues facing the recreational fishing community and anglers who attend should walk away with a new appreciation for the issues and complexities we all face dealing with them. If you missed this one, there is another open house being held in Port Alberni at the Barkley Hotel starting at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday November 20th.

A group of about 40 people showed up for this informational meeting. Owen Bird gave a run down on SFI and what they are all about and current issue that we are all having to deal with.... The group of fellow anglers and some of the the forum board memebers were well engaged and ask some great questions.Hope that they were all answered fulYl and I believe most walked away from the meeting more informed . :)

I will try my best to summarize and leave my personal belief out of it.

Owen really pushed that the SFI represents all angler not just the guides and lodges. I think the whole reason these open houses are popping up is because thier is a belief among anglers that they are poorly represented. SFI role is politcal and is to fight what they believe what anglers want. SFAC/SFAB role is work within the current frame work of what we are given.

Halibut is the main issue. _SFI goal if to get rid of the ITQ completely and go to a x lbs per year, forget about percentages. Right now they think that is around 1.6 million to have a full season.

THE NUMBER 1 TAKE AWAY I GOT FROM THE MEETING WAS WE NEED PROPER CATCH DATA. WITHOUT IT WE ARE DEAD IN THE WATER. CREEL SURVEYS ARE GETTING LESS AND LESS ACCURATE AS THE DFO CONTINUES TO CUT FUNDING. THERE ARE PARTS OF OUR COAST (GUIDES AND LODGES) THAT ARE GREAT AT KEEPING LOG BOOKS AND SUBMITTING DATA. THERE ARE OTHERS THAT ARE NOT ONLY POOR, BUT FEEL BY PROVIDING DATA THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE IT USED IT AGAINST THEM. THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE HELD OUT IN THE OPEN AND HELD ACCOUNTABLE. IMO ANYONE NOT WILLING TO RPIVDE PROPER CATCH DATA TO THE DFO IS RETARDED!

This has to stop, as a sector we need to find mechanisms to provide proper catch data and not just for G/O but for joe rec angler. This is by far (outside of the whole itq system being a sham) our biggest hurdle to getting what we want, As we know the creel and fly over bs just doesnt work. So we need to step up and find solutions that do.

Lorne

P.s I guess some of my beliefs are in there....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post Lorne. I think you hit the nail on the head with one of the issues we face. All anglers need to be helping record catch, and further as anglers we are all in this together. Way more to be gained from working as one team. I personally have a log book, but I'm just one operator of many who either do not know about the program or haven't considered working it into their daily activity. Even if we got every single guide/lodge to participate that is only a small fraction of the overall angling effort. What is really needed if you desire full accountability is a punch card system for all halibut retained that must be turned in to get your new license for the following season. We are in the final stages of planning the Port Alberni Open House (Nov 20 - 6:30 at Barkley Hotel), so if there are any recommendations as to what information or topics could be included/changed/improved we would really like to know.

comercial halibut fishers have to hail out and hail in when landing fish or not; to give time for observers to meet for unloading; sports could do the same to help data collection;aid in getting proper data at landing sites

comercial halibut fishers have to hail out and hail in when landing fish or not; to give time for observers to meet for unloading; sports could do the same to help data collection;aid in getting proper data at landing sites

150 commercial halibut boats in all of BC for 85% of the Canadian Halibut TAC (could be less)
150,000 recreational halibut fishermen in BC for 15% of the Canadian Halibut TAC (could be less)
Do the math..... oh wait, never mind I forgot who I was responding to..
GLG

since 65-70% of the catch is coming from the lodge/charter sector why not put better recording requirements there.

Back