SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

My understanding is that you have to bring you derby ticket with you when purchasing the side bet tix. That's what my mate told me anyway. Perhaps not obvious to some.......

Good luck to all this weekend!

The item to have in your hand in the foreground for the released fish is a flasher. Sorry guys got back home later than thought. Email your pics to c.bos@shaw.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
So we were skunked, fished 7-2 at Constance for hali and salmon (mostly hali). Heard lost of fish were being caught though! So where are the reports? What are the leaders for the day? What do I need to catch tomorrow to win this thing?

No salmon for us today, but we got our halibut in quick order.

954864_10152922587450434_343644641_n.jpg

Nice fish. Our hali spit the hook beside the boat and was gone......timing is everything

54 pound hali is leading, not sure what the salmon are. I did see one on the scale just around 29 pounds. Seemed like most of the fish came from SI and east. Out west was fairly quite. Picked up a t-shirt and a hoodie with the banana trophy on it...classic. Only coho for us out west but did pull a funny prank on Mr. Nice Fish. BTW he has a new nickname...its 'Moonbeam"

Went West almost to Jordan River and ran into a huge wall of Coho. Must have hooked up about 20 of them including a triple header. Weighed in one clipped Coho at 4 and three quarter lbs and it looks like it will be another great summer for Coho when they grow a little bigger. Also managed to weigh in a 13.5 unclipped and 14.5lb clipped Chinook both on plastic. Fished both plastic and chovies but the plastic was more productive and less work with all the Coho hitting everything you put down so ended up just fishing the plastic. Also was told by another participant that they released a Sockeye so nice to know they are around. Lots of bait balls on the sounder.
Don’t think we will be going far tomorrow what with Big Wave Dave showing 15 and 20. It may be a bit bumpy for long distance travel so will likely fish out front right off Sooke unless that changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
good day for us even though some chaos along the way (highlighted by our little 18 towing in a 28' bayliner out of gas. started att constance first light..hits right away, lost 1, then lost a good size to a seal. got a little paranoid from then on and it became a race...got another around 6...then one around 10...died off after that and then seals were swarming so good no more. went west and dropped pic...non stop hali, let one go and ended with the bigger...2 were 12, other 20. dropped line at church but thats when buddies call came in and finished day.

at weigh in, definitely lots of fish and decent size. largest hatchery is just over 20 but out of derby good reports of mid 20s hatchery caught from pedder to church. pretty nice action. just hope wind behaves tomorrow.

for those wondering, activities should be at 2 and finish off around 4.

good luck rest of the way...we are hoping to head beecher area and find some slot wilds as there are some thick stubby ones out

Day 1 Totals from the weigh station ...

Largest Wild Salmon - 29 7/8 lbs - Cameron Brown

Largest Hatchery Salmon - 20 3/8 lbs - Carlee Kukat

Largest Halibut - 56 lbs - Daniel Stawicki

Total Fish Weighed In ...

54 Salmon (33 Hatchery and 21 Wild)

24 Halibut

Good luck on the water today folks!

Governor

Thanks so much rollie was an awesome weekend

x2. Thanks Rollie (profisher) for all your hard work in making this a great weekend for all. Was a really fun event. First time derby for me and I enjoyed the lack of pressure to catch big fish. No high grading required.

Nothing but good times. :cool:

Saturday morning

2013-06-15 05.19.39.jpg
couple of members boats
2013-06-15 09.40.54.jpg

Sunday morning just a bit rough
2013-06-16 05.34.24.jpg

Yea, who was that guy I showered with champagne? lol What a great event! Thanks to everyone involved and especially the prize and trophy sponsors: the prize spread that Rollie had organized rivaled that of many big derbies. And I am not only saying this because some nice new things ended up in my crews lap! For a first time derby this was an outstanding event. I feel bad for everyone who decided not to enter. It was not only the prizes and the official stuff but we had a bunch of forum members and friends including families and kids staying at the RV park at Pedder and it was a very nice social setting for this event all in all. If there was one regret then it was the lack of identification of other not known to me forum members. I wish we had thought of something like name tags with our forum handles so we could see who is who. But I got to meet a few long-time members I have not met before in person; was great to meet you burnsy, and Brian of SFBC!

Sat was gorgeous weather all day and plenty of fish action. Sun was more for the tough souls and really determined fishermen. We ended up with 6 hali and 2 salmon to show for 2 days and 3 guys onboard. We all won very nice prizes on top of all the fun and fish. Does not get much better than that.

Wonder who will host the next round next year!???? I will definitely make an effort to attend if it promises to be that much fun again!

I am soo sorry I missed this. It was the one derby I wanted to do and was supposed to be a highlight of my summer. Unfortunately my fishing partner had another trip he wanted to do. A trip what was cancelled at last minute and I didnt have enough time to get out boat and gear and plan ready. I put out the word months ago with a bunch of fishing guys who dont use internet and hadnt seen posters. Great cause and thank you Rollie for organizing the time and effort must have been enormous. Put my name down for any help in future even tho I will be entering no matter what!

well, this earned us a pellet pistol, so it wasn't a complete waste!

7870_10151442926025658_747731030_n.jpg

Well run derby, we definitely got lucky getting drawn 8 times out of 9 tickets earned, excellent prizes - crazy hard work by Rollie - kudo's to him. I know how hard derbies are to run and it went fairly well considering. Guess (to me anyway) there was some confusion as to how many and what ways you can win prizes - not sure about the trade up option but I know often things change on the fly. Congrats to all the volunteers and winners.

Here's some pics of the derby I had a great time awesome event. got a 20.4 wild west of the light witch one me the sidebet and a 18 wild at the trap sun morn.

Attachments

• 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 178.jpg
    178.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 194.jpg
    194.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 354
Back