SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

Nice work coopsie. 20.4 was the biggest wild in the side bet? How much did it pay out?

Hoping the second day results and winner for each category will be posted. Had to take off at 4:00 to get to Father's Day dinner but draws were still happening and winners weren't announced yet. Can't be late for your own dinner after ditching the family all weekend.

Good fun. Nice to meet those that I had not met before.
Good Father's Day weekend with the father in law also.

Tips

Nice work coopsie. 20.4 was the biggest wild in the side bet? How much did it pay out?

Hoping the second day results and winner for each category will be posted. Had to take off at 4:00 to get to Father's Day dinner but draws were still happening and winners weren't announced yet. Can't be late for your own dinner after ditching the family all weekend.

Good fun. Nice to meet those that I had not met before.
Good Father's Day weekend with the father in law also.

Tips

900 bucks !

Had an early morning charter this morning but did manage to get into bed by 9 last night so wasn't dragging my butt to badly this morning. I think the weekend went quite well. The weather and water were almost ideal, not much wind and no rain for our outdoor finish. It looked like everyone had a good time, we did raise some money and those were our main goals. There were a few glitches and even though we try to prevent them it seems you can't foresee everything, especially the first time though. There is a strong commitment to go forward and make this an event that continues to get better each year like fine wines. Hopefully those that participated this year will find opportunities to share their experiences with those that missed out. Our directors, reps from SFBC and Pedder Bay will meet soon to go over the derby. We will discuss what did work well and also what didn't. From those talks will emerge a better derby in future years.
I want to personally thank all those individuals who lent their time and services either behind the scenes or at the event itself. Also all the generous sponsors who even in these tough economic times stepped up and helped make a first time derby a success.
I was told after we were finished with the prize ceremony that the Banana trophy was something that most would have taken over any of the great prizes we gave away. That was my goal. To create a one of a kind trophy that would be a must have and would be the reason to come back year after year to try and win one.
Finally a big thank you to those who bought tickets, side bets, t-shirts, beer/ food and to those who donated fish to the Sooke Food Bank. Your wallets may be a bit lighter this week but you should feel good knowing how you have helped the worthy recipients of the events proceeds.
Lastly I want you to know that we have some exclusive video footage of a certain TV celebrity being masterfully pranked and which I've been promised will be posted to YouTube. I will share the link with you once it is up!!!!

A great Derby for a good cause. Many thanks to Rollie and others for the huge effort and the hundreds of hours of work put into this well run new Derby and also thanks to all the sponsors and Pedder Bay Marina. Great cheese burgers and beer, a lot of very good quality prizes and a great weekend.

Our crew of 3 won some nice prizes including the hidden weight prize for a full day guided fishing charter for 4 with overnight accommodation. This works out perfect as one could not make the Derby do to an emergency, so now the 4 of us will get another great fishing experience in an area we don’t normally fish to have fun together and let a professional do the work.

Looking forward to the Consultants Derby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twas I that you showered in Champagne Chris 73, you got Champagne all over my new prized possesion!!! I had to come home and fire that trophy in the dishwasher to get all that sticky bubbly off, well it got it off all right, along with the yellow color of the banana! Have ya ever seen a banana with a WHITE banana peel, not sure if i have but i still love it and would not have wanted anything else on that awesome prize table not even that haircut!!! I have been in a lot of derby's over the years and the only other one that i had a hand in winning was the first Coho Derby in Renfrew, so i am 2 for 2 in first year derby's , not to brag or anything. I have always considered myself a pretty humble guy, but I think I just turned into an asshole! There was only one thing I wanted to win in this derby and i used my masterfull fishing skills and technique's that were self taught over the last 50 plus years to get it! Now I am setting my sights on next years trophy and I can"t wait to win that one too! What a outstanding job Rollie did organizing this derby and delligating duties to get it all done in fine fashion, to bad his fishing skills don't match up to his organizing skills, oh well you can't be blessed with everything. I to think we all should have had name tags with our SFBC names, that way we would know who to punch out next year, hopefully if i do my job correctly it will be me!!! - Thanks to all that involved themselves in making this derby a sucsess, i especially liked the way the prizes were awarded that was a really neat format, my buddy ended up with Trophy reel with a Trophy XL rod after trading in his gift basket and then trading his haircut prize for his 4 lb. fish. WOW! Anyway awesome job everyone, to bad about my trophy tho, at least the salmon has some color left in it.

It is called the BRAGGARTS Derby.

Perhaps Rollie can arrange a little time for your Trophy back for an air brush and a hard clear coat to put back the yellow. Hard to imagine anyone could have anticipated it ending up going through the dishwasher on high temp. scrub.

Did not manage to purchase one of the Tee Shirts. So if there are any left perhaps a few could be dropped off at one of the Tackle Shops. Need an Exrta Large myself.

The shirts were made to order on site. You would have to go down to John or Janet at U Pak moving and storage on Viewfield Rd in Esquimalt. They also run the t shirt business from there and all the equipment is there. If there are any transfers ( not sure if they throw out the leftovers) they will be there as well.

So let me get this staight Bag-J...
You fished out west of Sheringham looking for a big wild fish to win the derby... but you did not buy a side bet ticket so won no $$... then you put your trophy in the dishwasher and washed the color off? LOL!
Well at least you still have the Braggarts rights and a good story.

Good job on the winning fish. Congrats!

Tips

I had an awesome weekend myself. What I loved about this derby is I felt no pressure to chase the big fish and go for the banana man. He was awesome - and most deffinetly worth the effort to chase but there were other ways to enjoy the weekend without sacrificing your shot at most of the prizes. I made the decision weeks ago to fish out of victoria for this derby. Plan A was to fish oak bay on Saturday for salmon then try for halibut close by. Friday I changed my mind and went out for halibut first light on Saturday. Great move what followed was my best day of the year!

I anchored up around 5am, between 5 and 6am I caught 4 dogfish. Damn did I pick the wrong spot? Nope... It was quite for about 15 minutes then the first halibut hit. It felt good coming up but turned out to be a 10 pounder foul hooked on the white side. Quick release.

By the time I got that rod back down the other rod took off. This was a better fish for sure. My dad was fighting it and the other rod started to bounce. Tangled! Shoot! But wait are they tangled? No it was a double header. I set the hook but the fish was taking line - not ready to come in yet. So I put the rod back in the holder and helped dad land the 24 pounder on his rod. By the time I got back to the other rod the fish was a bit tired and ready to be pulled in. It was HEAVY... A good one for sure. Finally got it to the top and I look down and.... What the heck?

Double Hali.jpg

TWO halibut? I've seen that with dogfish but never Hali. 38# and another 10# on one bait! Released the chicken kept the turkey. We were done by. 7:30am. 4 dogs, 4 halibut and 4 tired arms!

To finish the day I trolled up a small salmon on Constance and missed two pin poppers. Weighed in at 2pm.

Sunday was too rough for offshore fishing so i didn't drop anchor again. Fished terrible water on Constance for two small springs and called it a day. Mother nature laid a beating on me but those who were smart enough to stick tighter to shore enjoyed better water and bigger fish!

So all together we weighed in a 38 and 24 # halibut and three small salmon. Made the draw prizes interesting as I was lucky to have all 3 of my names pulled. Trading up was fun and not everyone exchanged their prize if they got called a second time.

I'll be back next year and after seeing the trophy in person I might have to head west and go for it! Outstanding job by all the organizers the way this derby was structured you could fish hard for the trophy or relax and enjoy a day fishing with the family. If the format is similar next year I hope to get my kid involved, at 3 she was a little young but next year she will be ready!

Aahh, the Trophy is in pristine condition, although i did have to clean some champagne off it when i got home. I might be dumb , but i am not stupid enough to put it in the dishwasher!! Just trying to make Chris73 feel bad for dousing me and the getting bubbly on the trophy. I was meaning to get a sidebet ticket friday night but ended up having grief getting my main motor to pump water in the driveway with the muffs, and forgot all about it, don't matter anyway! Trophy is worth way more than 900$!!

Good to hear. That Chris73 is a Rowdy Dude!

Hey Governor... Can you post the second day data and the winning weights please.

I found the info on number of fish and ratio of hatchery fish interesting.
Too bad our government doesn't see the value in hatcheries.

Thanks
Tips

Had an early morning charter this morning but did manage to get into bed by 9 last night so wasn't dragging my butt to badly this morning. I think the weekend went quite well. The weather and water were almost ideal, not much wind and no rain for our outdoor finish. It looked like everyone had a good time, we did raise some money and those were our main goals. There were a few glitches and even though we try to prevent them it seems you can't foresee everything, especially the first time though. There is a strong commitment to go forward and make this an event that continues to get better each year like fine wines. Hopefully those that participated this year will find opportunities to share their experiences with those that missed out. Our directors, reps from SFBC and Pedder Bay will meet soon to go over the derby. We will discuss what did work well and also what didn't. From those talks will emerge a better derby in future years.
I want to personally thank all those individuals who lent their time and services either behind the scenes or at the event itself. Also all the generous sponsors who even in these tough economic times stepped up and helped make a first time derby a success.
I was told after we were finished with the prize ceremony that the Banana trophy was something that most would have taken over any of the great prizes we gave away. That was my goal. To create a one of a kind trophy that would be a must have and would be the reason to come back year after year to try and win one.
Finally a big thank you to those who bought tickets, side bets, t-shirts, beer/ food and to those who donated fish to the Sooke Food Bank. Your wallets may be a bit lighter this week but you should feel good knowing how you have helped the worthy recipients of the events proceeds.
Lastly I want you to know that we have some exclusive video footage of a certain TV celebrity being masterfully pranked and which I've been promised will be posted to YouTube. I will share the link with you once it is up!!!!

You will notice I didn't fall for it. lol Although I didn't know it was a prank, the tugging on the rod was like a small fish so I saw no reason to get excited. A couple thumps then slack....that would have been a different story!

Good to hear. That Chris73 is a Rowdy Dude!

Hey Governor... Can you post the second day data and the winning weights please.

I found the info on number of fish and ratio of hatchery fish interesting.
Too bad our government doesn't see the value in hatcheries.

Thanks
Tips
hey tips, no change in leaders from day 1 except hatchery - think that was just over 22lb. Don't remember the salmon #'s in, but I believe hali was 4 and 3 of those were ours..lol

Few pics from the Red Hot crew. Bag-Juan - you deserved every drop of it...lol Well done! If the Slipper Skipper didn't turn out to be a kid I would have showered him too!!!! Good show!

4.jpg
My son in action on Sat

5.jpg
Deewar in action also Sat

7.jpg
End result for Sat for Red Hot

02.jpg
End result for Sun for Red Hot

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg
Bag-Juan - You Da Man!!!

004.jpg
Finally the Slipper Skipper has a face!!!

6.jpg
Ever towed a 30' tank with your 17' runabout? I have! Through the Race Passage running 3 Knot current....

Nice one Chris73, all good fun for sure! Looks like you and your crew did good! Thanks for sharing the pic's, I know who you are now so ya better look out!! HaHa

Hey Garret, great job looks like you had a great derby and weather. Did you let your Dad catch the winner? Congrats.

Good pictures Christoph!!

This looks like it was one great event guys. I am red in the face for not attending, but scheduling and the options available to me kept me closer to home. Congratulations to Bag-Juan for putting together the right combination to take the Trophy home. It looks like halibut was hot for many.

Congratulations to Rollie and his crew, and all the sponsors that came together to make this event happen. Best I can tell from attendees reports, and all the work leading up to the big weekend...The bar has been set pretty damn high.

Thanks for sharing the highlights and a few stories.
Cheers!

This looks like it was one great event guys. I am red in the face for not attending, but scheduling and the options available to me kept me closer to home. Congratulations to Bag-Juan for putting together the right combination to take the Trophy home. It looks like halibut was hot for many.

Congratulations to Rollie and his crew, and all the sponsors that came together to make this event happen. Best I can tell from attendees reports, and all the work leading up to the big weekend...The bar has been set pretty damn high.

Thanks for sharing the highlights and a few stories.
Cheers!

It was a great Derby, especially for kids and they had some draws just for them with high end prizes including a couple of expensive Brodie Bikes and because there were not a lot of children, they had a good chances of getting a big prize. Something to consider for next year if you have children.

Back