SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

I just numbered all the prizes so we are organized for the awards ceremony and we have 75 prizes to give out between, the draw, hidden weights, juniors etc. We have a couple of nice prizes for the largest salmon and the largest halibut that are released. Check back here after 8pm on Friday June 14th (after I get back from selling side bet tickets at Wise Buys) to see what item you must have in the foreground of your photo to qualify. On top of the prizes we have 46 bags of tackle to give away to those who miss out on the draws.

How many actual draws will go down? 75 prizes, does that mean 75 draws?

There are 80 as of now combined draw, hidden weight, junior etc prizes up fro grabs. In addition there are the trophies, the 3 cash side bets and I have 44 bags of tackle to give out to those who don't win a prize.

I take it the prize for a released fish photo is the same (can't win it and a draw prize?).

What about the food bank draw? Maybe that ones seperate because you need to donate a fish or is it included in the one prize per ticket?

One guy can win two prizes if he purchased two tickets correct?

Take note the rules state "each participant may enter one salmon per day"
So if you weigh in an 16lb hatch on Saturday moring hoping to win the side bet but then catch a 20lb hatch later that day, you can not weigh it in.

I doubt that's the case tips. More likely the 20 pounder would cancel out the 16 and they will take your biggest fish for the day as your one entry.

Also each participant can weigh in one salmon? I hope they mean for each ticket (IE a single angler with two tickets can weigh in two salmon and win two prizes, or two anglers with 3 or 4 tickets can enter 3 or 4 salmon and win as many prizes as they have tickets...)

I could be wrong pro will clarify for us.

LOL here we go again. Ok the food bank is a separate draw so if you win the food draw you are still eligible for a draw prize. You will get a food bank draw ticket for each fish donated, donate more fish, get more tickets. Obviously you are limited by your legal daily limit. If you win the released salmon or halibut prize you are still in for the draws. We want to reward this not discourage it. The rules are you may enter 1 salmon and 1 halibut per day into the regular draws, so maximum 2 draw tickets per day and 4 for the derby. If you bought multiple tickets under a single name you get to enter an additional salmon for the second ticket. At that point you have caught and entered your legal daily salmon limit. Obviously you can't enter another halibut because your legal daily limit is one fish. You are still limited to a single draw prize but obviously your odds are better with the extra tickets in the bucket. With the last question about bumping a smaller fish...I want to be consistent with my answer and I was asked this not to long ago. I've looked in my sent boxes and can't find my email response. So I will have to go from memory...and that isn't very good anymore. Once you register your catch for the day there is no bumping.

I posted a fishing report in the Sooke section but thought I should post the pictures that went with that report here, to get the juices flowing. This is Father"s Day weekend coming up. Guys it is your weekend to do what you like to do. Its been about 3 years since fish like this were around in any decent numbers. There are definetly good numbers of fish in the high 20's and 30's being caught already this early in the season. If you don't get out and take advantage of the opportunity you may wait another 3 years for the chance again. Time to fish and while you are please support this derby by buying a ticket.

Three newbie questions as I have never participated in a tournament:
1) How long will the prize draws and awards likely go on for after the 2pm start, as I have a father's day dinner to be at in town? Sometimes organizers pre-draw and line up all the prizes for a speedy roll-out and sometimes it's all done real time, which takes a bit longer. With so many prizes (thanks sponsors and organizers!) I'm worried I might need to cut out early.
2) Do you need to be there for any of the draw prizes to be collected, or (I know it's a hassle), is there any way to collect them later Sunday night or another day?
3) As I'm not in for the big fish prize, there should be no penalty for cleaning out the fish to keep the meat in prime condition before weigh in right? I'll likely be fishing the Vic/Sidney side from dawn, then driving over with the fish iced up in the cooler after.

Thanks again to all.

Good questions Nautigirl. I'll be awaiting those answers.

I also had a question. I can only fish the Saturday, I'll be there with my boy. So I'm also wondering if I have to be there on Sunday to win prizes, or if my boy is in contention for the junior prizes?

Thanks Profisher, this is looking to be one awesome derby!!
I am a SVIAC member.

To add to the questions any chance at posting the current side bet totals before tickets go on sale tomorrow? Still debating if I want in on any

You don't have to be there but understand I'm in the bust part of m fishing season and I'm looking forward to Sunday night when I can focus on my fishing season. Taking a couple prizes home would be ok, but I don't want to load 1/2 of them back in my truck and back into my already full garage. I really don't want to take the bikes home again lol They are in my way and i have to move them everytime I need to get to something in my garage. How they haven't suffered a scratch is amazing. You can clean your fish and take the weight reduction. We hope to have the derby done by 4pm and they will be drawn in real time, but I have spent a considerable amount of time on making it a speedy process. The side bet totals will remain a secret until they are announced on Sunday.

Thanks Profisher.
FYI regardless of who wins the prizes, I can take them home for "long term storage" if needed around 4pm to help you out.Especially the big ones.

Actually, I can fish he Saturday, but not the Sunday because my little partner has his ball hockey playoffs at 9am. I can come back to pedder after for the awards. Don't worry, you won't have to take the bikes back....

BTW all you guides are reminded that there is a draw for a business marketing/promotion package. This includes a 6 month banner ad on Sportfishingbc, business cards, and internet services. Bring a business card when you enter a fish and drop it in the bucket for the guides draw!

I've got a newbie question as well - if I'm launching out of another marina, say Cheanuh, and want to get my fish over to Pedder for the weigh in, what's the better way to do it, by boat straight into Pedder, or drive around? Is there docking space in Pedder, especially around weigh in time (which will be presumably very busy, especially on Sunday as everyone waits for the results), and is there likely to be parking at Pedder for trucks with trailered boats?

Just trying to figure out my best strategy, haven't yet decided where I'll launch. West is Best????

I was at Pedder the weekend before last and they said they're going to work it out the best they can. There was about 20 empty slips in what appeared to be the transient area when I launched my boat today for the weekend. I imagine there'll be a bit of boat jockey going on but it shouldn't be nearly as bad as cougar creek in Nootka.

On Saturday if you are just going to drop in weigh the fish and leave....no beer...no t-shirts etc then by boat would be ok. Obviously on Sunday you would want to drive and park so you enjoy the awards festivities. About 200 tickets are gone. Today will be the big day. Expecting lots of activity from 5-7 at Wise Buys for side bets.

LOL wish the Canucks had that confidence about winning it all!!! Remeber to tune back here after the side bet ticket sales are done tonight to see what item you must hold in the foreground of your photo for released fish. If you are buying side bet tickets tonight from 5-7pm at Wise Buys I will tell you what it is there. Chris Bos has offered to join me tonight and Kelly (Lastchance) will be there too. See you guys tonight, hope the rush hour traffic isn't it usual ugly self.

Back