SFAC meeting Comox October 18, 2012.

Sculpin

DFO office in comox..9.30 am Oct 18
Anyone with an interest in the furture of wild salmon and area 14 should be there..
This was a LAST minute notification...if you can make it BE THERE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, why do these meetings have to be during the day when anyone who has a job can't attend. Evenings are better if you want participation. Not saying that will make a huge difference in attendance - most good Canadians just holler, then do nothing to get involved anyways.

I would have liked to have gone...but looks like news got to me too late. Hell, if I didn't read here, I had never even known it had taken place...

I think an optional field to fill in when getting a new license should be for an e-mail address, which can be used to inform all sport fishers of such meetings, last minute or not. I bet attendance would increase drastically.

I would have liked to have gone...but looks like news got to me too late. Hell, if I didn't read here, I had never even known it had taken place...

I think an optional field to fill in when getting a new license should be for an e-mail address, which can be used to inform all sport fishers of such meetings, last minute or not. I bet attendance would increase drastically.

Find out who the chair is. I think the new chair for area 14 is our own GLG on this forum. PM him and ask to be put on the email list. I did just that for my area and get notified well in advance.

Cheers,
John

One should do their homework before going on about meeting times.
Area 14 has had meetings at nights for the last 2 years. Other areas have moved their meetings to days and had a much better response.
Interesting that people who wanted meetings at night did not show up and groups who where to be there were no show.

Boy, why do these meetings have to be during the day when anyone who has a job can't attend. Evenings are better if you want participation. Not saying that will make a huge difference in attendance - most good Canadians just holler, then do nothing to get involved anyways.

Send me your email in a PM (personal message) and I will add you to the list.
Anyone else that would like to attend is welcome to send me a PM also.

GLG

Area 14 has had meetings at nights for the last 2 years. Other areas have moved their meetings to days and had a much better response.
Interesting that people who wanted meetings at night did not show up and groups who where to be there were no show.

Homework...what ever.. just sounds like an excuse for an old boys club if you are a conspiracy theorist. And there a few of those on this board. Just saying...you won't be getting me to any SFAC meeting during the work week (day time). I can't be the only one. So if you are looking to involve folks who work, those times probably preclude that. The Port Alberni SFAC's are not held during the work week during working hours. I can get to those, so why is it any different in your area? Just suggesting you may get more involvement with that change, especially seeing as you are saying you want to rebuild and go in a different direction.

As mentioned in my post, it may not make a difference because people generally complain but don't ever lift a finger to get involved. I figure democracies are determined by those who show up, so we should just tune out the complainers who don't bother to get involved anyway. Who knows, maybe they aren't showing up for other reasons.

Are you having difficulty reading and comprehending?
The area 14 has met at nights for 2 years did you miss that?
You say old boys club as they do not agree with you? If you do not get involved to change things, then you have no one to blame but yourself.
Nanaimo meets at night and is where you live, why do you not go to their meetings?
The SFAB was set up by DFO and is not political so if you want results as the commercial and Indians get then it is not the system for you.

Homework...what ever.. just sounds like an excuse for an old boys club if you are a conspiracy theorist. And there a few of those on this board. Just saying...you won't be getting me to any SFAC meeting during the work week (day time). I can't be the only one. So if you are looking to involve folks who work, those times probably preclude that. The Port Alberni SFAC's are not held during the work week during working hours. I can get to those, so why is it any different in your area? Just suggesting you may get more involvement with that change, especially seeing as you are saying you want to rebuild and go in a different direction.

As mentioned in my post, it may not make a difference because people generally complain but don't ever lift a finger to get involved. I figure democracies are determined by those who show up, so we should just tune out the complainers who don't bother to get involved anyway. Who knows, maybe they aren't showing up for other reasons.

Please list those area's so that other area's can learn from that experience.

Of course I can read Brian...seems to me last meeting for Area 14 was once again during the work week (DFO office in comox..9.30 am Oct 18). Just suggesting a shift away from that might improve things. FYI...I fish out of Area 23, so that's the SFAC I attend. No need for me to attend Nanaimo - which is being held......"at night" just like Area 23, and I suspect most other SFAC's are following suit regarding meeting times. You seem to be suggesting most SFAC's are getting better participation by holding day time work week meetings. If other Areas have shown day time week day meetings to be more effective in encouraging participation, it would be good to hear about that because it is counter-intuitive.

Enough of this meeting time distraction.
Whats past is past and as OBD correctly pointed out we do have night meetings.
Area 14 is moving forward and we will look to include more local fishermens advice.
We have to be flexible to keep everyone in the loop.
I'm all for communication as a two way street and with todays tech it's not hard to do.

We have much bigger issues that we need to think about.
Here is one that should be discussed.

Close the DFO office in Comox. Yes/No
Think of what that means for on the water response to poachers.

I don't have a lot of info yet as I'm new on the job.
Perhaps others that know more could fill us in.

I have created an email list for Area 14 local fishermen.
If any one would like to be on this list just PM me.

GLG

Agree Gil--- but as you know the last two evening meetings were very poorly attended. Damned if you do and damned if you dont! ..... But moving on-- I will provide a bunch of dates where a room is available at the Courtenay Fish and Game club house for a weekday evening meeting as soon as I get a chance.

And BTW Pat--- It was Gerry, not me that you should have been replying to. LOL!!! Of course I can read Brian.

Carry on!!!

Agree Gil--- but as you know the last two evening meetings were very poorly attended. Damned if you do and damned if you dont! ..... But moving on-- I will provide a bunch of dates where a room is available at the Courtenay Fish and Game club house for a weekday evening meeting as soon as I get a chance.

And BTW Pat--- It was Gerry, not me that you should have been replying to. LOL!!! Of course I can read Brian.

Carry on!!!

I was at the last night one at the Courtenay F and G. And yes poorly attnded. But also last minute annoucement if i remember. THere is more then just the time that will produce a good showing. Although it is important things like Getting out the info early, getting it to local fish shops (tyee, gone fishing etc.) Maybe annoucement at the First monday of the month F and G meeting. and constantly keeping it in the fore front will improve the result.

Thanks for volunteering Lorne. I agree 100% Remember, a lot of hands makes the work load manageable-- We need someone to post notices from Parksville to Oyster Bay........ that has been lacking. While some want to *****, its the crowd that shows up and helps that makes a difference. We have a new chair that is eager to get things rolling. So I hope you show up with a POSITIVE attitude next meeting and can carry some of the work load.
Cheers
Bryan

Thanks for volunteering Lorne. I agree 100% Remember, a lot of hands makes the work load manageable-- We need someone to post notices from Parksville to Oyster Bay........ that has been lacking. While some want to *****, its the crowd that shows up and helps that makes a difference. We have a new chair that is eager to get things rolling. So I hope you show up with a POSITIVE attitude next meeting and can carry some of the work load.
Cheers
Bryan

Im up and down the island 3 times a week. I will gladly do this.

Lorne

Thanks Lorne and noted...
Will get a date and post.
Watch for a thread about Halibut and Area 14 SFAC
That should draw a few people to the meeting.
GLG

Sorry Brian for mistaking Jerry's comment. Certainly like the re-focus on getting meetings at times when guys can attend, and notices of meetings out there. Hopefully more people will get off their hands and come out to get involved in their local SFAC. Good to see you jump in there Lorne.

Like Lorne I too was at that those poorly attended meetings the last couple yrs and they were very informative meetings and a good open forum. I unfortunately work most days so cant make it too these day meetings and seem to never know when they are. With Gil in there and being on the forum I hope things will improve with Communication for everyone. Its funny most people that attend are on this forum. It needs to get out there. Lorne Bruces bro lives in Parksville he could prob post things down that way if you cant get there. I work at the Base so if you want I could prob get info out to those people about meetings I know theres lots of fisherman there.

Back