Selling our 2460 Pursuit Denali

Oh god....neither of those - I am looking for strictly a trawler style for pleasure cruising only. We don't want to do a big conversion....I just want to bring my suitcase in, unpack and polish the teak, LOL and just carry on from an owner that has taken good care of the boat prior to us purchasing it. We are going tomorrow to look at a 38 that has just come on the market that looks nice and in our price point. This is a bit sooner than we expected but if it checks all of our boxes.....this may actually be it - if that turns out to be the case, it will have been a short search. I like the older ones but looking at stuff from the mid 80's and single diesel/fiberglass hull and decks are a must. I need something big enough to go for a few weeks and you guys will think I am bonkers but besides our dog (cairn terrier) we have 2 cats and 2 parrots. I need something big enough I can take them along as well at times....it will be the floating zoo:) We are still a few years off of retirement but the plan is at that time to have a big enough boat to spend a whole summer cruising to Alaska and back....we don't want to buy and sell again. So looking down the road to what we ideally want to do and making sure that what we get is going to be now our final boat. I just think the trawlers have character - we have looked at some newer boats - they are lovely but out of the price range we want to pay and honestly I kind of felt like I was in a floating condo....I want to feel like I am in a west coast boat when I am on the water, if that makes any sense? Making this leap is either going to be the greatest thing I have done and we will have wonderful memories to look back on in years to come.....or its going to be one of the stupidest things I have done!! Certainly hope its not the latter. On the positive, husband has worked on tugs/barges and owned a water taxi business in the past and has owned boats in the 40 foot range (but in commercial applications and not pleasure)....so, this for him isn't such a big deal. From my perspective - its a friggin big deal!!

Oh god....neither of those - I am looking for strictly a trawler style for pleasure cruising only. We don't want to do a big conversion....I just want to bring my suitcase in, unpack and polish the teak, LOL and just carry on from an owner that has taken good care of the boat prior to us purchasing it. We are going tomorrow to look at a 38 that has just come on the market that looks nice and in our price point. This is a bit sooner than we expected but if it checks all of our boxes.....this may actually be it - if that turns out to be the case, it will have been a short search. I like the older ones but looking at stuff from the mid 80's and single diesel/fiberglass hull and decks are a must. I need something big enough to go for a few weeks and you guys will think I am bonkers but besides our dog (cairn terrier) we have 2 cats and 2 parrots. I need something big enough I can take them along as well at times....it will be the floating zoo:) We are still a few years off of retirement but the plan is at that time to have a big enough boat to spend a whole summer cruising to Alaska and back....we don't want to buy and sell again. So looking down the road to what we ideally want to do and making sure that what we get is going to be now our final boat. I just think the trawlers have character - we have looked at some newer boats - they are lovely but out of the price range we want to pay and honestly I kind of felt like I was in a floating condo....I want to feel like I am in a west coast boat when I am on the water, if that makes any sense? Making this leap is either going to be the greatest thing I have done and we will have wonderful memories to look back on in years to come.....or its going to be one of the stupidest things I have done!! Certainly hope its not the latter. On the positive, husband has worked on tugs/barges and owned a water taxi business in the past and has owned boats in the 40 foot range (but in commercial applications and not pleasure)....so, this for him isn't such a big deal. From my perspective - its a friggin big deal!!
Floating Zoo? The Irish Rovers were describing the ark!

The single diesel,shaft drive is very appealing as you get older and don't need to get somewhere fast.Totally see where your coming from,crossed my mind many times.

Exactly Rayvon, ready to take things at a quieter pace - no need now to go hell bent out onto the fishing grounds anymore, loved it but ready for a bit of a change. Just trying to wrap my head around what kind of annual costs are involved with these boats. People say they are economical - but define "economical"..... I don't think there is really any economical boat unless it comes without any form of motor and you row it! Obviously moorage is more (we currently pay annual moorage but the boat is only in the water June-Oct we used to just pay monthly for the time that we were in but finally had to take annual out just to secure a spot with the marinas so full now). So, now we will be into annual haul-out fees etc.. the diesels in these are supposed to sip gas and maintenance on them pretty minimal (so I have heard), they cruise at 7-8 knots and I think they top out at 10 so, you aren't covering a lot of ground really fast. That may take a bit of getting used to when planning weekend trips as we do have to get back home Sunday night to go back to work Monday morning......no one in this house is retired yet!

Exactly Rayvon, ready to take things at a quieter pace - no need now to go hell bent out onto the fishing grounds anymore, loved it but ready for a bit of a change. Just trying to wrap my head around what kind of annual costs are involved with these boats. People say they are economical - but define "economical"..... I don't think there is really any economical boat unless it comes without any form of motor and you row it! Obviously moorage is more (we currently pay annual moorage but the boat is only in the water June-Oct we used to just pay monthly for the time that we were in but finally had to take annual out just to secure a spot with the marinas so full now). So, now we will be into annual haul-out fees etc.. the diesels in these are supposed to sip gas and maintenance on them pretty minimal (so I have heard), they cruise at 7-8 knots and I think they top out at 10 so, you aren't covering a lot of ground really fast. That may take a bit of getting used to when planning weekend trips as we do have to get back home Sunday night to go back to work Monday morning......no one in this house is retired yet!
For whatever reason my commander 30 with twin diesels is costing 20k-30k a year to own and operate. It's economical as long as the inevitable doesn't happen, which it does... by definition.

For whatever reason my commander 30 with twin diesels is costing 20k-30k a year to own and operate. It's economical as long as the inevitable doesn't happen, which it does... by definition.
Single diesel 30+ footer I would guess would be at 20-30k maintenance or the same for a double gas 30 footer. Tough to find any mechanics under 100 per hour and all parts and services are expensive. I almost chocked when we had our 25.5 footer bottom painted and the labour rate was 1/2 of a mechanic. If I was to do it again I’d go free diving one a month to clean the bottom. My brothers mechanic swears by the straight shaft tolley, he doesn’t ever have to haul out, where my buddies big dual outboards need to be hauled out for engine maintenance and a trim pump costs about 5k to replace including haul out.

I digress, what’s the trawler budget?

that’s like 3 years and the pod and outboards are paid for! What are you waiting for man?

that’s like 3 years and the pod and outboards are paid for! What are you waiting for man?
Got a quote 150k. Ouch.

Plus 15k of that would go to any moored boat with maintenance and fuel

I've got offers on them already I just can't pull the trigger without having a gameplan and that number is about 60k more than i thought it would be
Have you thought about selling your Commander for top dollar as it sits with the diesels in it, and picking up a gasser one for half the cost and put that into the whole conversion? I’m not up to date on things in the commander market but I feel like I’ve seen a bunch of gasser ones in the 40-50k range? No?

Have you thought about selling your Commander for top dollar as it sits with the diesels in it, and picking up a gasser one for half the cost and put that into the whole conversion? I’m not up to date on things in the commander market but I feel like I’ve seen a bunch of gasser ones in the 40-50k range? No?
You're absolutely right. I've definitely thought about this. I know that dollar wise the stuff I've done probably would only amount to about 20k but it's all the little customizations that I'd have to do all over again. I like mine the way it is, minus the engines. The rear galley layout is harder to come by, the solar, the rod holders, rigger mounts, all the blue crap removed, new carpet, good condition upholstery, bbq. Basically three years of puttering. So I paid 115k, sold some stuff for about 15k, put another 40k back into it (half of which is uninsured repairs), minus the 35k for the engines being sold puts me at...105? So 60k for a gasser in good shape plus re-doing all that work and spending 20k puts me at 80k? Not sure it's worth my time to do it all over again. Maybe it is.

here's a good pod candidate.
You're absolutely right. I've definitely thought about this. I know that dollar wise the stuff I've done probably would only amount to about 20k but it's all the little customizations that I'd have to do all over again. I like mine the way it is, minus the engines. The rear galley layout is harder to come by, the solar, the rod holders, rigger mounts, all the blue crap removed, new carpet, good condition upholstery, bbq. Basically three years of puttering. So I paid 115k, sold some stuff for about 15k, put another 40k back into it (half of which is uninsured repairs), minus the 35k for the engines being sold puts me at...105? So 60k for a gasser in good shape plus re-doing all that work and spending 20k puts me at 80k? Not sure it's worth my time to do it all over again. Maybe it is.

You guys are way high on a single Volvo diesel.
Friend replaced on after 15 years, complete engine and leg $60 thousand, that’s $4 per year plus oil changes and regular maintenance. Others have been in service for a lot longer and still running strong.
Fuel costs at about 6 gallon/hr, so do the math.
My 2 cents

You guys are way high on a single Volvo diesel.
Friend replaced on after 15 years, complete engine and leg $60 thousand, that’s $4 per year plus oil changes and regular maintenance. Others have been in service for a lot longer and still running strong.
Fuel costs at about 6 gallon/hr, so do the math.
My 2 cents
I meant the total cost of boat and engine maintenance. It's crazy how much a "small" thing costs when a haul-out is involved and a trim pump or "transom assembly" is needed. I didn't even know what a transom assembly was until two different friends spent 10k+ on replacing theirs. I got a knock-off trim pump motor for a yami 115 off ebay for under $100 the trim assembly for a big merc outboard was a couple thousand on ebay and a lot more at retail and way more installed. Good to know there are cases where people get 5-15 years with minimal maintenance costs but it is rare.

I am not in your shoes,but if you have the boat, I mean the boat you love and see yourself and your little family enjoying it for a long time, keep it and get a power train that will give you years of trouble free enjoyment, not sure of your finance situation or what you are willing to spend but being in a mechanical limbo is so hard mentally, been there and almost gave up on owning boats. The last one I got was fairly cheap, way under what I was willing to spend but like the boat( wife loved it) one thing for sure is I was staying away from I/O at all cost, the Honda outboard scared me , hr metre was showing 378hrs and now at 650 and not much spent on it, and will repower when it dies, with all the I/o I have owned over the years I was spending thousands every summer just to keep it in the water running as it should( OCD)lol, one of those was VP ad diesel and was a disaster with a 290 DP

Back