Seal/Sea Lion Problem On The West Coast!

Fish 14, any chance you could try and read your posts before posting? Some teacher will wake from the dead if they read some of this spelling, have some pride.

As most of us know, BC's killer whale population is WAY below historical numbers and our current small population is almost 99% Resisident (salmon eating) whales which means there are only a few Transient (seal eating) whales around to balance the seal population. This means our seals have virtually no predators, certainly not humans, so we can definately expect their populations to explode. It's up to us to return the balance. We need to pressure the gov't to take action........and while we're waiting.... shoot the little bastards.

A person only needs to look at the wasted $$ (37,000) on the puntledge river this spring to install an electric fence to move problem seals a couple hundred yards down the river to feed on Juvenile and summer run chinook. I have not heard the results of this attempt to control problem seals..but I know 20$ in ammo would definately have solved this problem....Unfortunately I think this sort of waste of conservation $ and taxpayer $ will continue.

quote:Originally posted by yammy5

As most of us know, BC's killer whale population is WAY below historical numbers and our current small population is almost 99% Resisident (salmon eating) whales which means there are only a few Transient (seal eating) whales around to balance the seal population. This means our seals have virtually no predators, certainly not humans, so we can definately expect their populations to explode. It's up to us to return the balance. We need to pressure the gov't to take action........and while we're waiting.... shoot the little bastards.

I think there needs to be a little common sense here. First, transient killer whales would not keep a seal or sea lion population in check. The predator-prey relationship that maintains the seal population exists from fish. If there was not enough food for these predators they would not be abundant. Stellar sea lions are still considered threatened.

Throughout history when humans have tried to balance nature we have failed dismally. The answer is not to kill these magnificent animals but to come up with innovative solutions to deal with some of the real isues. Some of the real problems are when salmon are restricted by dams (caused by humans) and when the seals key in on migrating smolts.

Losing a salmon to a seal when you are sportfishing is really not such a big deal and get's way over-exxagerated by anglers.

In the world we live in today are environmentally sound opinions really so bad??

I personally have had seals take salmon off my line and it can be frustrating. On the other hand, I always hope that a hook is not stuck in the seals stomach.

Just my opinion......

u on drugs! u wish your hook isn't in the seals stommach?. i think every fisherman would hope it is, after they just had their gear taken from them. and i'm pretty sure that every fisherman says the same thing when they have a seal on. I WISH I HAD A GUN RIGHT NOW!!!!

quote:Originally posted by fisherman14

u on drugs! u wish your hook isn't in the seals stommach?. i think every fisherman would hope it is, after they just had their gear taken from them. and i'm pretty sure that every fisherman says the same thing when they have a seal on. I WISH I HAD A GUN RIGHT NOW!!!!

Obviously not every fisher feels that way. I spent 12 years fishing commercially on the west coast and a few years guiding. I just do not see seals as such a big deal. Like I said, my opinion. There is no need to fling insults.

I agree with Roadrunner, why would you want to have a seal suffer for doing something that comes naturally. You seem to have a real hate on for the critters, did one bite your toe when you were a kid. If you catch a lot of salmon every year it is't that big a deal to lose a couple that way. Being out on the water is most of the fun anyway, I think seals enhance that feeling of enjoyment.

Got no beef with da seals but man is it ever frustrating after a very slow day catching, you snag one up and a seal comes and grabs it. Not to mention loosing your tackle as well.:(

Cheers
Vic

exactly. it wouldn't be so bad if u just lost the fish. but the gear they take is the part that frustrates everyone.
and who cares for the stupid seals. they are no good for anyone except people that go and take a picture of a seal. yay.............

it does suck to have a fish taken. Off the trap shack yesterday, after a 15 min fight the fish was "at the boat" and this great big white seal comes up and takes a huge chomp. the salmon bolted and shook the hook. i don't hate them but very frustrating!!!!!

I don't "hate" them either, but they can be pretty frustrating. I love to hear a salmon run with the clicker on (single action), but I have left the clicker off for years now. Just really isn't the same. Having to horse fish in is a bummer too, not to mention the lost gear (which has already been mentioned).

They used to be a relative rarity to see twenty some odd years ago....

I won't shed a tear if a group of transients shows up and takes care of business.

So a seal takes your fish from time to time, big deal, gives you a story to talk about. It's all part of the experience, I've probably lost 10 times that to my or my fishing partners error and impatience over the years, what, should I shoot them also. I thought this was "sportfishing" bc.com not "meathunters" .com.

Enjoy it all, good or annoying, one day it will be gone.

Marula, you think that seals ripping salmon from our lines should be accepted as a regular part of the fishing experience? Give your head a shake man. I don't work all week and spend thousands of dollars on this sport to go and feed seals on the weekends. If you like to feed the animals go to a zoo and leave the fishing for the rest of us who love to catch fish. Here's a tip - instead of happily feeding our local salmon to the seals, why don't you spend your weekends at the Vancouver aquarium watching them feed herring to the sea lions and whales. It'll save you money, it will save our salmon and you will have lots of those neat stories you're after!

quote:Originally posted by yammy5

Marula, you think that seals ripping salmon from our lines should be accepted as a regular part of the fishing experience? Give your head a shake man. I don't work all week and spend thousands of dollars on this sport to go and feed seals on the weekends. If you like to feed the animals go to a zoo and leave the fishing for the rest of us who love to catch fish. Here's a tip - instead of happily feeding our local salmon to the seals, why don't you spend your weekends at the Vancouver aquarium watching them feed herring to the sea lions and whales. It'll save you money, it will save our salmon and you will have lots of those neat stories you're after!
well said yammy

Hey now guys, whats with the attacks, because we have differing opinions? This board is great for the debates and information and your contribution but sarcasim brings this site down and prevents members from wanting to contribute. Sure you get frustrated and spend thousands, I've got close to 30 grand sitting in the yard myself, and I personaly don't advocate shooting seals after my fish and gear. Sorry thats my opinion, lets hear you other guys chime in.

cheers

Back