Seal/Sea Lion Problem On The West Coast!

so....... i seen the east coast of vancouver island having a problem with seals. a really big problem And the west coast isn't far behind. trust me!
is there a solution to this problem???
the answer is simple. have a seal hunt[:p] but then you'd have too many environmentalist coming in and "protecting" them.
heres a question! Does Vancouver Island wanna become over populated with seals and sealions so bad that the runs of salmon start to decline? which has already started to decline. i sure don't wanna be looking at seal all day in barkley sound or anywhere.
if something isn't set in place to control this problem, then the west coast is gunna end up looking like the east coast.
u notice that the environmentalists in nova scotia protected the seals and killed the stocks of atlantic salmon.
WAY TO GO ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!!

Fisherman14 - I agree with the seal hunt idea. I think that the solution comes in the form of a 30-06. If the dolphin-humping enviro-wackos "protect" them, then we should have an "environmentalist hunt". :D Maybe a local orca breeding program would be effective [}:)]

Is there a commercial use for sealions? Do the natives not hunt them because they are protected? I would think that there is some money to be had by the tribes and maybe commercial. The situation could be a win-win.

So far this is the worst year i have seen for seals. I live in Pitt Meadows close to the fraser river. Right now we see groups of 5-7 seals hunting in packs.It is also not uncommon to see them up in Mission.At this rate our salmon stocks will decline in no time, as well as every other type of fish

[8D]

I DO think there should be something in place to cull problem seal populations - but don't get confused the seals really don't have a major impact on salmon populations. Its mostly environmental with commercial and native pressures taking a toll also.

The problem that we are having down her in washington is a little bit different than WCVI. The seals have gone up the columbia river and sat right in front of the dam to slaughter the salmon. I am not going to argue this point again since it has already been discussed in other posts, but the last time I checked, the killer whales weren't going up the river with them :D

However, I do feel that the commercial and tribal fisherman have the largest affect on our fish runs (along with monther nature). The problem is that you will die trying to regulate them, but cutting down on the seal population is a more attainable goal.

They do have some impact on the population of all fish species that start there migration in fresh water though. With all the smolts in the river right now and eulichans it is a killing field. I wish i could use my gun from the shore a sit would be a turkey shoot.

Do the natives not hunt them because they are protected?
[/quote]

yea i dunno. the natives hunt them up in like nunuvit. so y can't they hunt them here? they're probably the only ones that can get away with hunting them too. you know how it is.

Well all I know is that 20 years ago there were a lot more seals and a lot more salmon. I have seen seals kill salmon but I also have seen the amount of salmon that are harvested by net. The net kills a lot more salmon in a day than all the seals I saw killing salmon in a month.

w/e! y do you have to go there.
what! you like seals or something?
ENVIRONMENTALIST ALERT, WATCH OUT!
don't try and protect them. you know theres a problem!

Fisherman14 - You are hilarious man. LMAO. No offense to holdeem though. I do understand what you are saying.

Its just too bad that I have to leave my GLOCK .45 at home when I come and visit you guys north of the border. I might be able to help with the seal problem. :D

yea i know. i so wanna just shoot every seal i see. when i heard that 51 sea lions died in a fish farm in tofino, i was pretty happy.
first time ever that a fish farm has done something good.

Yep theyre getting pretty bad out west. I lost more fish to seals this year than any other year ive been out there. Probably an average of close to 2 every 3 days over about 25-30 fishing days. Doesnt matter which spot youre fishing around Bamfield the seals will take 2 or 3 fish from that area every day. A little ridiculous.

yea i know. i've fished alot around assists island all my life, and never seen seals take fish there before. usually diplock island or pill point.

the victoria waterfront is nasty. there lots of seals. they will follow you around all day:(

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

quote:u notice that the environmentalists in nova scotia protected the seals and killed the stocks of atlantic salmon.
WAY TO GO ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!!

So thats what did it-- and all this time I thought it was the net fishery off Iceland, water removal in streams, general habitat destruction and pollution ( oh-- and yes-- and some of the remaining Atlantic DO get eaten by seals too) [8D] KILL THE SEALS!!!!!!!!!!
Concerned Angler,
Do you have anything better to do than sarcasm? I dont think many people want to hear it.

There is lots of blame running around about the number of salmon left but why can’t we do something positive about it. How about putting a couple of doz. hatcheries around the province instead of giving all our political leaders huge pension plans after six years in office, among other things. There is lots of money in the province, we just have to turn it toward helping the fish prosper. There are lots of fishermen around we should be able to put some pressure on our leaders.

holdeem..... smartest thing i have heard on this thread. I always thought there should be enough fish for all user groups.

Back