sea lion shot in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have suggested on here before that culling problem sea lions and seals in rivers and estuaries would be a good step if done properly I have given personal experience of them eating steelhead. The fact that they have exploded in numbers is not based on anything prior to when they were openly killed and numbers were really low. If you want to look at numbers and historical data maybe look at salmon numbers as well, populations don't grow beyond where they should be at the same time their food source is reduced to nothing. I live on the coast and you are missing my point that salmon are in serious decline in Vancouver island rivers that is the reality, if you killed all of the sea lions salmon will still continue to decline. The problems are much greater than just sea lion and seal predation if it were part of a strategy that involved reducing our take of wild fish and rebuilding habitat i would be more inclined to throw my support behind it. Blaming only one thing only serves to distract from the other causes for the decline and time is ticking so why am I the only one on here that see's this. Salmon stocks were continuing to decline from historical numbers the whole time that seals and sea lions were being killed, so why was that. Maybe because of humans and we still don't want to change anything we do we will just try wiping them out again while ignoring all other cause for our fishery disappearing.
I agree, I think there is a lot more to it than seals and I don’t think random shootings will solve anything, but a controlled management plan for problem areas and seals would be one major step in the right direction. What I don’t think will help is closing the public fishery without actually doing anything in the river

I agree, I think there is a lot more to it than seals and I don’t think random shootings will solve anything, but a controlled management plan for problem areas and seals would be one major step in the right direction. What I don’t think will help is closing the public fishery without actually doing anything in the river
That's what I have been saying all along, cheers.

I'm only a new member because I changed my name from Slayr to Reefy. For obvious reasons...

I've hunted and fished the West Coast since 2009. Took a lot of willpower to change my diet. I've cut out 90% of meat and Dairy and don't hunt or fish anymore. I can't say I'm happy about that or it was an easy decision.

Anyways the only side I'm on is not being cruel to animals
Still driving your car? On roads? Where is your power coming from? Hydro? The food that you buy, where is it grown? And how? Where do your cloths come from? Etc.... source down line all of these questions and you will soon identify many animals that have been killed and or displaced.

**** sapiens are the effing problem, especially the self righteous green sub species!! Lol

Still driving your car? On roads? Where is your power coming from? Hydro? The food that you buy, where is it grown? And how? Where do your cloths come from? Etc.... source down line all of these questions and you will soon identify many animals that have been killed and or displaced.

**** sapiens are the effing problem, especially the self righteous green sub species!! Lol
I'm not against the cull, if thats what we're arguing about, I'm still undecided. Like I've said all along I'm not cool with animal cruelty.

I live off grid solar with gas generator. Was looking into non-fish bearing stream hydro electricity for the winter. I try to buy clothes that last. I ask for a rootbeer, no straw or lid, with my A&W beyond beef burger because it tastes f'n great. I buy and grow organic vegetables. I enjoy crab caught very locally and seafood while travelling. Small car for long drives.

No not Saltspring

I do this for my self and never judge or impose what I do on anyone else, except when it comes to needlessly harming animals. I'm not sure why people get all defensive, taking it personally and think I'm judging them. I'd love to eat salmon, wish there was more of them...

Yeah people are the problem, including myself I'm sure. I try to give back, volunteered for herring spawn pile wrapping, shoreline clean ups, reef surveys. For wildlifes benefit, not just to feel good. I volunteer while travelling as part of my vacation with various groups for Whale Sharks and Humpbacks. Basically I'd rather live in the ocean than with most people.

Maybe sterilizing these animals would be a good compromise. More expensive than lead and slower. I know it's more complex than that.

https://was-research.org/paper/wildlife-contraception/

Carry on or trash me some more lol

Last edited:
Oh has anyone tried shooting from a boat???

I seen a guy brag about his 1" group on land and then couldn't hit a shore deer (leagally, motor out of water, no forward movement) from 30 feet and 6 shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back