SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil Help

Work well if you're having issues getting on plane or porpoising. If you don't have these issues, the downside is that you have to drill holes in your skeg.

I've been on many sites and forums and guys swear by them. I find many guys though I know just don't want to drill their cav plate. on their main motor but add a prop guard to their kickers right from the start.

I have not found any negative affects.

Nor have a read anything where guys say it didn't work so I returned it.

Great Product works like a charm on my boat. Warranty is great too, my first one developed a crack, replacement was in the mail the next day free of charge. There is version that clamps on and doesn't require drilling but I would worry about falling off. One of the best upgrades I did on my boat

Buddy I used to fish with had a boat that would hardly plane without one of those. It came loose out in ocean off VI. I had to shimmy down backwards on that podded Suzuki and replace the missing bolts and tighten them all. I still get ribbed about it as it looked like I was getting amorous with that Suzy. I would think a good set of trim tabs would help most but they are expensive. I would not hesitate to drill the Cav plate if I thought the doel fin thingy would work.

I have been using a Stingray for close to 15 years on my Merc 150 Opti and previous 115. Always made a big difference in ability to get on plane and reduce porpoising. Would never go w/o one now.

Had one on an under powered grady that was tough to plane. They are kind of a band aid more than anything typically its a setup issue over anything else causing your problems. Trim tabs may go a long way on your boat. Just my thoughts.....

At this time I have zero real issues...... Just optimizing my performance

Boat loaded.....
2-3 secs I am at full plane, WOT aprox 16 sec. to reach 5700rpm 39mph, 4000rpm 25mph cruise

Boat ready to fish but basic load
2 sec to plane, WOT aprox 9 sec. to reach 6000 42mph, 4000rpm 27mph cruise

I can buy local for $74 so why not :)

People all of the internet say instant improvement. Not really seeing anyone saying it a POS stay way. I think I am going to buy one next week and bolt it on :)

I installed a hydrofoil on my old boat as it was smaller and pretty butt-heavy with a kicker. Solved my occasional porpoise issue, and got a little extra speed for a given RPM as well. So I had one put on when I got the new boat as well.

Only "con" for me is I've noticed a slight change in the steering after they're on, usually at times where you have it trimmed down significantly. You need a little more force on the wheel. The up force that it generates seems to stiffen up the steering a bit.

I ran a Doel Fin on my 16.5" K&C when it had the 115 Merc. The thing flew and got on plane in feet not meters. I'd hit the throttle and it would literally pop out of the water. It was mounted to the cav plate with SS bolts and lock nuts. Lots of hours on it and no cracks or any other damage. Steering to Port was stiffer after I installed it but the overall improvement in performance was impressive enough that I put one on the 85hp I'm running now.

Buddy I used to fish with had a boat that would hardly plane without one of those. It came loose out in ocean off VI. I had to shimmy down backwards on that podded Suzuki and replace the missing bolts and tighten them all. I still get ribbed about it as it looked like I was getting amorous with that Suzy. I would think a good set of trim tabs would help most but they are expensive. I would not hesitate to drill the Cav plate if I thought the doel fin thingy would work.

At this time I have zero real issues...... Just optimizing my performance

Boat loaded.....
2-3 secs I am at full plane, WOT aprox 16 sec. to reach 5700rpm 39mph, 4000rpm 25mph cruise

Boat ready to fish but basic load
2 sec to plane, WOT aprox 9 sec. to reach 6000 42mph, 4000rpm 27mph cruise

I can buy local for $74 so why not :)

People all of the internet say instant improvement. Not really seeing anyone saying it a POS stay way. I think I am going to buy one next week and bolt it on :)

FA, you must be embarassed over that performance. Hardly faster than a canoe.

FA, you must be embarassed over that performance. Hardly faster than a canoe.
LOL Thanks, I have the time so why not aim higher right. Prior to my mods I had the boat so tuned it was instant up and go. It was so dialed in it was like a sling shot. Guess I am just aiming for that again. Cause I can :)

They do help for boat setups that tend to porpoise. I had one on a stratocraft that without would porpoise almost exactly as FA describes his boat. (On deceleration from full throttle) etc.

A better solution is smart tabs. Roughly the same price and much better as they provide stability, better takeoff as well as reduced porpoising. http://www.nauticusinc.com/

Back