Recent Corrosion On Aluminum Hull

Rendog

Hi guys, I have been a reader of this this forum and a few others for a couple of years and have gained lots of usable information from the experience of others as I chose my boat and electronics.

A little information about myself. I live in the Kootenays in the interior of BC and with my 15 foot Smokercraft with a 25 Yamaha I have only boated in the Arrow Lake. Now that I have a young family I thought it would be wise to buy a larger boat that allowed everything from water sports, fishing, beaching, camping and one day even ocean fishing. So after going over my budget for a used boat several times over, I ended up being able to save enough to buy a new 2014 Edge Marine OS Sport out of Oregon. After looking at all the main manufactures of welded aluminum boats and even doing factory tours, we were sold on the Edge after going for a test drive and seeing the sleek lines of the Edge. A little about the Edge, its a semi custom made boat built for offshore fishing but with sleek lines. The hull is 0.25 inch and the sides are 0.16 and has a built in Wakeboard Tower. Overall its built like a tank but when the top is down it can look a little like a ski boat, so my wife loved the looks in comparison to the rest. For the 2014 season I have loved the boat as its been able to handle all our needs and then some.

One thing that has me down a bit on the boat, is some corrosion on the aluminum hull. Before we go to much further, I have read endless threads on this subject and have not found anything that matches.

Of course when it was new it was absolutely beautiful but after a summer there was some water stains in the hull, nothing I would not have expected. Even as the boat sat through out the fall while I was trying to re-side our house before winter set in, I did not winterize the boat as I would have liked. Snow, cold came too soon and time went too fast. All I was really able to do was do a quick clean of the boat, pull the batteries and put a tarp over it. While I was outside the other day checking the boat, I noticed new corrosion spots on the boat which were not there 2 months ago and are concerning me. I of course expect the hull to oxidize over time, but these spots appear like little frost "stars" and have completely covered the hull from the water line down. From the water line up they are much smaller, if existent at all. On the exposed top surface of the swim deck and support tubing are perfectly clear.

I have attached some pictures to help with the description. There are 2 anodes, one on the motor, the other on the boat, 1 on the hull (appears just to be a sheet of aluminum with corrosion spots, 1 on the extended pod, and the last on the swim deck and supporting aluminum tubing (no corrosion on these surfaces).

So after doing some research I have learned that I should have magnesium anodes for fresh water use instead of the zinc anodes. However, even with the zinc anodes, the boat was fine all summer and up to November, when I parked it in its current location. Just to let you know that apart from when I camp with it, the boat is always on the trailer and not docked at a marina. I should also note that the trailer is also aluminum, 6000 series aluminum, and it does not show any signs of the spotting.

I am hoping some of the experienced aluminum boat owners will have some advice for me on what the problem is, or if it is just the fact that this is what aluminum does.

I apologize for the first long winded post and hope there is someone who can recognize this corrosion type and direct me in the right direction.

Thank you for reading.

John

Attachments

• 20150109_143634.jpg
    20150109_143634.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 655
  • 20150109_143602.jpg
    20150109_143602.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 655
  • 20150109_143522.jpg
    20150109_143522.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 660
  • 20150109_143655.jpg
    20150109_143655.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 657
  • 20150109_143721.jpg
    20150109_143721.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 656
  • 20150109_143754.jpg
    20150109_143754.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 657
Sorry guys I thought I had posted a photo of my pride and joy! Here are a few pics of it! As you can see I have spent more on the boat than the truck!! lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 616
My first guess from reading your description would be an electrical stray problem. Although if you pulled the batteries it seems odd. If you haven't already joined the Aluminum Alloy Boat forum you should. There are lots of builders and other other folk with tons of experience on there.

Great looking boat and welcome to the forum.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My first guess from reading your description would be an electrical stray problem.

X2.. From the water line down?!? I imagine that the problem would have started while in the water and was unnoticed after taking it out.

But other than that... Buff it out :cool:

great info Gypseas, and Kmorin

If it makes you feel better, my gal has a few white stars as well :).

I'm not that worried about it. They are not "pits" and it is just cosmetic.

The other thing to remember is that sacrificial anodes only work when they and the boat are in the drink.

Not to worry Rendog, I had my boat made 25 years ago, after about 4 years of what your seeing it stays the same. Just the nature of marine aluminum I guess. My aluminum is 5086 grade which has chromium and other alloys which gives it lots of strength but hard to shape and will have blotches but is very resistant to electrolysis. The next grade softer 5086 will bend easier for the builder to shape the hull, don't know what you have. Either way you can't stop it unless you paint it or keep buffing it. Myself I just give it a quick rinse after being in the salt but some boats never see fresh water and they look the same.

Thanks guys for all the posts!

Gypseas, I took a look at the forum you suggested and it was great! The fellow that originally posted it and I appear to have the same problem of mill scaling and we have been in contact with one another trying to help each other out.

Another really good post on the issue is from aluminum alloy boats kmorin. http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4139

Chevy guy and Sculpin, not that I want your boat to have the "stars" but I am glad to hear once they stabilize the problem does not get any worse and its just cosmetic. I had fears that it was electrical stray and that my boat would eventually erode into white powder that does not even have a street value lol… However in regards to the electrical stray I felt somewhat comforted that I had Mike from Harbour Chandler do the electrical install and knew his name was reputable from posts on here. He was also good enough to check the boat while working on it to ensure all was good with the electrical system.

I will keep you guys posted on what I find Monday when I do some calling around about etching and or the possibility of mechanically removing the "stars" and allowing the aluminum to corrode in a natural and hopefully uniform rate. Chevy guy, I checked the manufactures website and it appears the hull is 5086. So there is a possibility with the Chromium in the aluminum that this will always be a factor.

John

5XXX aluminum has magnesium as the chief alloying element.

The "stars" will appear on all untreated bare aluminum from 2XXX-7XXX.

Ever look into sharkhide aluminum hull protectant? Popular product for Hewescraft owners. Great looking boat!

There are two thoughts on alloy hulls.

#1 seems to be to paint or put sharkhide clear coat on them for totally cosmetic purposes. (they do look nice and purdy).
#2 leave them bare and let the aluminum naturally oxidize to a point that it is bullet proof. Acid etching or soda blasting the mill scale off improves the natural ability of aluminum to protect itself (paint and sharkhide actually inhibit aluminum to protect itself and are applied PURELY for cosmetic reasons). You can actually have more corrosion going on with a painted hull *if not properly painted than a bare aluminum hull over time. I LOVE bare aluminum. Very low maintenance.

Got this 1991 boats that looks weathered just the same as yours. If it didn't corrode through in 24years I will probably be fine for the next 24 LOL
Just run her hard and put away wet, you'll be fine.

That is something to be said about them zincs IF you moor in the salt or fresh. Previous owners on The Columbia River (sheriffs dept.) by not keeping zincs properly attached to the hull (loose bolts), almost took out the jet drive.

That's just the nature of the (aluminum) beast. Filliform corrosion, scale - Just water, general abuse & especially salt, is going to do that. It definitely penetrates the original surface, but doesn't effect the integrity at all. Just looks like garbage, in my opinion.

You want to keep it pretty, keep it washed and clean. Otherwise nothing you're going to be able to do, it will naturally oxidize over time.

And example? Here's the boat my family got last year... It was neglected in terms of washing, surface was completely oxidized.

photo 4.jpg

20140228_164656.jpg

20140225_163634_Richtone(HDR).jpg

After 60+ Hours of sanding, polishing, etc.

20140415_075038_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20140331_192600_Richtone(HDR).jpg

If I were to do it again? I would acid etch it first. Still kicking myself that I didn't, would've been a clean slate to work off. I didn't know better at the time.
I have to polish it now every spring before it gets put back in the water. Easier though now that most of the hard work has been done, only have to do a minor correction, and finishing pass now. For what it's worth... After a year of abuse in the chuck, still looks great! ;)

Like I said it's cosmetic. It's all about what YOU want your alloy boat to look like.

Mine looks like all the before shots and myself and my gal are good with that. She is a tank. She is a strong craft and has some blemishes, so what. She doesn't care and I don't either. Ed from Edwing boats moto is "chrome don't get you home". I like that moto.

It's not for everyone for sure. You buy a nicely painted top side alloy boat and you expect perfection etc. Not going to happen.

BARE aluminum. My next boat is one that will be built by myself with the help of others. It will be acid washed from the start. That way all the parts will have a chance at the welding stage. Not just after before painting etc. My next boat will never be painted. It will oxidize accordingly after the acid wash. Aluminum is an amazing alloy that protects itself after some weathering. It is the ultimate boat building material. The only thing it has against it is shaping itself into the ping pong ball or chorox bottle shapes that it's sisters can. The Aussies and New Zealanders have been getting close but not quite there yet.

Fishin'zinn/I must be part crow,the shine on your boat is gorgeous to me.I would think that your hours of work would pay off when and if you ever decide to sell.To each their own,but then what do I know,I run a tupperware boat (Wellcraft Coastal).As a matter of fact ,that Ironwood comes very close to my idea of the perfect boat.We always have to compromise on size,weight,power,livability,ride in the rough etc..Great looking boat!

Back