scotty HP downriggers

Pretty sure you can add a manual counter to a 2106. I think you have to drill a hole in the top cover though. Makes it tough for guys who keep their gear outside all the time.

I’ll stick my old faithful 1106’s. They're like a Honda atv, not the fastest or the most powerful machine out there but will never fail to bring you home. In 40 years of being around Honda atv’s in some extremely remote locations and back one has never failed to bring me back. Same goes with old stand by Scotty 1106 / 1101 In 25 years being around them have never had one not start and finish the day in full working order. I had a stripped a belt on one occasion quite some years back but that was due to neglect on my part. I don’t need my cannon balls sucked up a couple seconds faster, it’s all good, it’s not a race to see who can tub the most fish. It’s about peace of mind and enjoying the day without stress.

My 1106s have given me nothing but troubles. Counter wheel always skipping, snail pace and stalling when bribing up 18lb cannon balls from 150ft down. Best decision I ever made was switching to the 2106s. I consider my 2106s to be more reliable than the 1106s.

cheers

BBB

Pretty sure you can add a manual counter to a 2106. I think you have to drill a hole in the top cover though. Makes it tough for guys who keep their gear outside all the time.
I’ve installed manual counters on my 2106’s (there are 2 plastic posts on the 2106 where the manual counters sit - easily secured by 3/8” nuts *note: the posts are not threaded - so you’ll need to apply some pressure initially to get the nut to grab the post). Drilled a 1” hole through the lids (over top of where the manual counter displays are). I used a tapered 1” plastic plug (available online from auto body supply outlets) to plug the “viewing hole” when not in use. The plug sit flush with the top of the lid, are easy to install and remove, and provide a weatherproof / waterproof seal (I leave my riggers mounted on my boat that sits on a mooring ball out front of my place for most of the year). This provides a simple low-tech backup for when the digital counter on the 2106 packs up (something that happens at least once every season). I got the idea from John’s Sporting Goods in Everett, Wa. You can see pictures of the fix on their website.

On a related note, I carry a small carpenters magnet (2” long, 1/2” diameter - Lee Valley) in my fish box. Whenever the digital display on my 2106 craps out, I remove it from the cover (after I’ve packed up fishing for the day when I made use of the manual counter/hole-in-the-lid viewing hole as a backup). I leave it with batteries out for 2-3 hours. I then pass the magnet repeatedly over the side of the LED display unit. Moving the magnet left-to-right increases the display on the digital counter...moving it right-to-left decreases it. I’ll use the magnet to reset the counter to zero. 6 out of 10 times I’ve been able to salvage a “failed digital counter”.

I’ve installed manual counters on my 2106’s (there are 2 plastic posts on the 2106 where the manual counters sit - easily secured by 3/8” nuts *note: the posts are not threaded - so you’ll need to apply some pressure initially to get the nut to grab the post). Drilled a 1” hole through the lids (over top of where the manual counter displays are). I used a tapered 1” plastic plug (available online from auto body supply outlets) to plug the “viewing hole” when not in use. The plug sit flush with the top of the lid, are easy to install and remove, and provide a weatherproof / waterproof seal (I leave my riggers mounted on my boat that sits on a mooring ball out front of my place for most of the year). This provides a simple low-tech backup for when the digital counter on the 2106 packs up (something that happens at least once every season). I got the idea from John’s Sporting Goods in Everett, Wa. You can see pictures of the fix on their website.

On a related note, I carry a small carpenters magnet (2” long, 1/2” diameter - Lee Valley) in my fish box. Whenever the digital display on my 2106 craps out, I remove it from the cover (after I’ve packed up fishing for the day when I made use of the manual counter/hole-in-the-lid viewing hole as a backup). I leave it with batteries out for 2-3 hours. I then pass the magnet repeatedly over the side of the LED display unit. Moving the magnet left-to-right increases the display on the digital counter...moving it right-to-left decreases it. I’ll use the magnet to reset the counter to zero. 6 out of 10 times I’ve been able to salvage a “failed digital counter”.

Wouldn't it be easier to spend $60 and just carry 2 backup counters?

Had 2106s since 2015 and they've been excellent. The extra retrieve speed when fishing deep is a deal maker. The original counters lasted until last year, they failed within a couple weeks of each other. I've fished 1106s plenty on charter boats and every time I do, I'm thankful I have the hi power units - the teeny tiny counter digits suck for old guy eyes, and retrieving after a clip pops at 200 ft takes forever. If you habitually fish cannonballs 15 lb or greater, you'll want the 2106s.

was thinking of upgrading to the HP downriggers. I know there was a slew of issues with the LCD counters in the past. I called scotty and they said their newest counter has a blue LCD screen and uses replaceable AAA batteries and is less susceptible to failing. can folks here who have the newest counter with the BLUE LCD screen and the replaceable AAA batteries tell me if you still have issues with the LCD counter failing? A pair of the HP downriggers is not cheap ... just want to make sure I am not going to have to deal with failing counters as often as many users have had in the past.
I've a pair of HP downriggers and changed to new LCD's last year. haven't had any problem with them .
If you decided to change to new LCD's buy it directly from Scotty, it is almost $30 cheaper (each).

I put a pair of Hp downrigger on my boat and did the learning curve by losing a couple balls at first by snapping them off at the top pulley but I also found they come up so fast and create so much drag I have to stop them a couple times to just catch up with the line that I always keep attached to the clip when checking the line. They create so much torque on the side that I am checking that I can not control my 17 foot boat and it always swings around and turns out of control because I fish solo most of the time. I have just ordered the Garmin autopilot for small outboards.

I've a pair of HP downriggers and changed to new LCD's last year. haven't had any problem with them .
If you decided to change to new LCD's buy it directly from Scotty, it is almost $30 cheaper (each).
I don't think Scotty sells direct.
Sell thru retailers only????

I went through the dead screen (back when the HP first came out)....it pissed me off because once the screen creapped the bed. (Ahuge water droplets on the inside of the screen) I had this useless slab of a downrigger on my boat for a 3-week trip....thank the Lord I had my trusty 1106 for a back-up

Scotty replaced the screen with lots of apologies (the second version, not the newer version) and they’ve been reliable now for 4 straight years.

But....I am careful to remove them when not in use—-either bring into the wheelhouse or get them off the boat out of the weather. I also spray them down after use

My experience with the HP’s? I think they pay for themselves by how many fewer balls I have lost since switching over. Back in the 1106 days, it was not uncommon for me to go through 2-3 balls per trip when I went up to Central Coast (yes, I do kamakaze drops into the faces of cliffs and into rockpiles).

But now, with the HP’s, just when I think all is lost and I’m caught asleep at the wheel and my sonar tells me it’s time to get out the new ball because this one’s not coming back, the speed of that pull-back saves the day and up comes my unscathed ball

The big question for me when I switched to the HP: will the pull-back speed pull the herring off my hooks?

No, it won’t. Done deal.

scotty has 2 issues which they have handled poorly... 1st issue is with rod holders breaking due to 90degree twist motion with angle of downrigger line and rod holder. Issue can easily be resolved by building a stronger neck or using a different material like aluminum. The other seems like this LCD depth gauge. They have had a few different models and versions of the lcd counter. The LCD counter adds next to zero functionality. Why dont they go with the old manual rotary rolling depth dial. Simple and it works. Dont like how they recommend we tether rod as an asnwer or give lifetime guarantee on the downrigger but only 2 on the counter.

if someone has the lastest model with the blue LCD screen and removable AAA batteries let me know if you are still experiencing issues with the counter.
The LCD digits are much bigger than the mechanical digits on 1106, anyone with 50+ yr old eyes values this greatly, as well as the backlight feature for before sunrise/after sunset sessions. The extra speed/power of the 2106 is what makes 15 lb and heavier cannonballs feasible.

My first set of counters took 6 years to exhaust their batteries. New replaceable battery units are on season 2 and have had zero issues. I store my boat under cover so perhaps they've been coddled a bit, but I think most boat owners bring their riggers inside after use anyway, for anti-theft reasons.

Purchased 2106s in 2020 and have had four counters fail in the first year. All replaced free of charge from the dealer where they were purchased and now always carry two spares. The riggers perform well, are very fast and I generally like them more than the 1106s despite the counter issues.

Purchased 2106s in 2020 and have had four counters fail in the first year. All replaced free of charge from the dealer where they were purchased and now always carry two spares. The riggers perform well, are very fast and I generally like them more than the 1106s despite the counter issues.

I bought 2 new ones end of last year and used them last week for the first time.
On second day one of the counters crapped out and was glad I had a spare lid.
I got hold of two mechanical counters from Scotty, along with a template to drill the hole in the lid.
I would say that is the way to go as there's nothing worse than looking at a blank screen without a backup.
The old system is true and tested .
I dropped the gear down to 200' and found the difference between the digital and mechanical readings to be about 15' with the mechanical showing the shorter reading. I can live with that.
Scotty supplied me with a couple of rubber plugs for the holes when not in use.
However, I think a better fix is to attach on the inside of the lid a piece of clear plastic so you have a permanent window and you can also compare the readings at the same time.
It's all pretty simple stuff to install( if I can do it so can anyone else).
Saves you carrying a bunch of extra counters .I think they will have to do their homework a bit more before they straighten this counter problem out.

Back