scotty HP downriggers

the butcher

was thinking of upgrading to the HP downriggers. I know there was a slew of issues with the LCD counters in the past. I called scotty and they said their newest counter has a blue LCD screen and uses replaceable AAA batteries and is less susceptible to failing. can folks here who have the newest counter with the BLUE LCD screen and the replaceable AAA batteries tell me if you still have issues with the LCD counter failing? A pair of the HP downriggers is not cheap ... just want to make sure I am not going to have to deal with failing counters as often as many users have had in the past.

I carry a couple of spare counters. It takes maybe 4 minutes to change out. We really like the hp Scotty riggers. Won’t go back. Haven’t really had to many problems. Changed out the auto shut-off once. We run 20 lb balls all the time, with no issues. ( hope I’m not jinxing myself). Just have to get use to how fast they come up. We also run a 6 ft tuna cord at the end so it shuts off just before the ball breaks the surface. :):):)

No my new ones came with the old style. They have both failed over the last year. I am bit disappointed in Scotty as I report the first one failed last august and haven’t received a replacement yet. Taking the the other one into PNT tomorrow to hopefully get replaced. I have also heard that going forward Scotty will only warranty the screens for 2 years, but that’s only rumour I can’t confirm that.

scotty has 2 issues which they have handled poorly... 1st issue is with rod holders breaking due to 90degree twist motion with angle of downrigger line and rod holder. Issue can easily be resolved by building a stronger neck or using a different material like aluminum. The other seems like this LCD depth gauge. They have had a few different models and versions of the lcd counter. The LCD counter adds next to zero functionality. Why dont they go with the old manual rotary rolling depth dial. Simple and it works. Dont like how they recommend we tether rod as an asnwer or give lifetime guarantee on the downrigger but only 2 on the counter.

if someone has the lastest model with the blue LCD screen and removable AAA batteries let me know if you are still experiencing issues with the counter.

Both of my auto stop switches crapped out last year after 6 years of use. I think I've been though about 1 lcd screen per year. And I think it was an internal gear stripped last year, but was easy to repair.

I live near Scotty and they are good about replacing broken parts, but sometimes I've had to pay for field repairs when on trips.

wonder if I should just stick with my tried, tested and reliable 1106s. Not a single issue with them. Does anyone regret going to the HP model due to the inconvenience of a breakdown on water year after year?

Not a fan of Scotty and 1106s. I replaced original counter shortly after purchase. Out of the box I had going down issues more so in cold weather. ‘Repaired” several times for this in Nanaimo Depot, sometimes at my expense (shipping to Victoria) yet still happening. Even personally dropped off at Victoria and their “back” room testing blamed boat electrical. Same problem with old and new batteries and plugs in boat,

scotty has 2 issues which they have handled poorly... 1st issue is with rod holders breaking due to 90degree twist motion with angle of downrigger line and rod holder. Issue can easily be resolved by building a stronger neck or using a different material like aluminum. The other seems like this LCD depth gauge. They have had a few different models and versions of the lcd counter. The LCD counter adds next to zero functionality. Why dont they go with the old manual rotary rolling depth dial. Simple and it works. Dont like how they recommend we tether rod as an asnwer or give lifetime guarantee on the downrigger but only 2 on the counter.

if someone has the lastest model with the blue LCD screen and removable AAA batteries let me know if you are still experiencing issues with the counter.
I have had 1 of there new version lcd counter fail and 4 original lcd counters. I am not sure on the max 2 counters guarantee on the new version, I hope this is not true. I payed $100 for a spare counter and this would add up pretty quick. I would convert back to the old school counter as a back up if Scotty offered it.

I have had my 2106’s since 2013. First counters were the ones with no on/off switch and they developed moisture, failed and were replaced by Scotty free and I was given a spare in about 2014. Haven’t had any issues, these are not the ones with replaceable batteries. As an aside, I did try to replace the battery in one of the non replaceable counters. Pretty basic watch battery, cr2350 or something similar. But I didn’t unsolder the leads to circuit board first and toasted it when I solder new battery in. Also, you can modify 2106’s for the manual counters. I have seen it although I didn't look how it was done. Don’t think it’s too difficult. Might know a guy who may show me sometime.

I replaced both counters the first month I had my new 2106’s in 2016 - in both cases the rubber gasket was pinched in between the counter and the lid. Made sure to install correctly and haven’t had an issue since then. I keep an spare counter on board but haven’t ever needed to use it and we’re out year round rain or shine.
My local tackle shop is a Scotty service center, and when I see how people look after their gear when I walk past the downriggers waiting for service, I’m not surprised that some counters fail.

Counter failed second time using (new style). I may look at converting to mechanical counters if they fail again. Not a fun thing to happen when riggers are brand new and no spares and miles from town. Other than that they work great.

I have had one counter (original style that doesn't shut off) fail. The other original counter is still running strong after multiple years and lots of use. I personally would never go back to 1106 type counter. Carry a couple digital spares, it takes about a minute to swap it out, even in rough water.

Buy them. They are so fast you'll never go back.

I've probably had 7 different hp and never had one fail. I rinse them everytime when I park my boat and remove my riggers to inside the cab or in the garage.

I have had the older hp units. The counter failed a couple times. Then I had the 1106s and the counter failed on them. Now I'm using brand new hp riggers and the counter takes aaa batteries. So we'll see. One thing I didn't remember about the hps.. The lid has no hinge. And I almost accidentally tossed it in the water the other day.

Mechanical counters are +/- 10% accuracy. Depends on amount of line on spool. Scotty's answer was the counter is only a general indication of depth. Best to use electroncis for depth

I have run both the 1106 and the 2106, sometimes at the same time and in my experience there is no substantive difference in the depth accuracy between the mechanical and electronic counters although I have not tried the mechanical counter on a 2106 modification. As I understand it, the riggers are calibrated for accuracy using 300 feet of standard Scotty steel cable. If you put on more or less cable, especially a lot more cable, say 500 feet plus, they will be out a bit. If you want to know exactly how far out in order to compensate, let the rigger ball down to a flat bottom at 100 feet on the sounder, in slack current and wind, while the boat is stationary and compared the counter to the sounder depth. This was useful for us to establish a baseline when we have run much more than 300 feet on the rigger.

If you are concerned about depth accuracy (actual depth of the ball in the water coloum) in an actual fishing situation you may find that blow back and drag are usually more critical than counter error and there are many factors that contribute to that.

If we are on a flat clean bottom and want to fish close to the bottom in a strong blowback situation, we sometimes forget the counter and drop the ball to the bottom till it hits, then bring it up a couple of feet and wait for blowback to push it up and then drop it again and bring it up a foot or however many feet from the bottom you want it to be and then compare with the counter and sounder.

We have not had a lot of problems with the electronic counters. Eventually we killed the battery on an early generation one and had one that failed early that may have been from a bad batch which the Scotty guys gave us a replacement for free at a boat show. Overall I am happy with them and I have not yet tried the newest generation electronic counter.

Last edited:
Back